Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are a stand-by at our house. I’m not sure that they are necessarily the most frugal muffins ever and I certainly know they aren’t the healthiest muffins ever, but they are sure delicious. And if you can get the pumpkin for $0.25/can and the other staple ingredients on sale or at Aldi, it can be rather economical.

These muffins freeze really well and can pretty much be eaten straight out of the freezer. We love to use them for quick snacks or for a special breakfast treat, and they are one of my husband’s favorite things for me to pack in his lunch.

pumpkin chocolate chip muffins

Comments

1. Elizabeth says

This looks great!! My hubby just planted a whole bunch of canning pumpkins I love pumpkin anything so I will keep this recipe in mind. Thanks for sharing it.

2. Heidi Mercer says

How do you usually freeze these? Is there a trick so that they won’t get freezer burned?

3. Jannel says

Can’t wait for you to post the banana bread recipe. I have a few bad bananas to use up. The pumpkin choco. chip muffins look great! I’ll have to try that. How well do they freeze?

I am interested in starting to freeze pre-prepared items….what is the process for thawing. Any special tricks? Can you start the baking process while frozen (example, lasagna)?

Thanks!

5. Jannel says

Never mind, I just saw that you wrote that they freeze really well. I am definitely going to be on the lookout for these baking ingredients on sale.

6. Anne Munro says

Looking yummy!

Made a double batch of peanut butter cookies with my 3yo son yesterday. We are both still recuperating. Heh.
    (In our family, baking with the boys is a, um, more “active” experience than baking with the girls… anyone else?)

Love to follow along on your baking days!
    Ace1234

7. Chablis says

Please post some information about thawing bread/baked goods. In the past, things have not always tasted good or had a good consistency. Should I only thaw the pieces that I am going to eat immediately? Should I thaw on the counter, in the fridge, or in the microwave? I know that you are saving a ton of time and money, and I want to as well!!!

8. Abby H says

thank you for posting this recipe! I have homemade pumpkin puree in my freezer I need to use up. This sounds like the perfect thing to use it up for!

9. Rochelle says

As a mom that has to deal with egg allergies, I bet you could eliminate a couple of those eggs to make it more economical. You’d be surprised the recipes that call for eggs that really don’t need egg. Pumpkin, baking soda and oil are all substitutions for eggs in the egg-allergy world. Pumpkin binds, oil is liquid and baking soda will help it bake like the egg.

Just a thought for the queen of frugal mom’s!

Those muffins look so yummy, I wish I could climb through the computer and eat one!

Quick question though…how do you freeze the muffins? Do you wrap them up individually, put them all in one bag? How do you keep them from sticking together? How do you thaw them out? (oops, make that 4 quick questions)…. :-)

We make these exact same muffins, but I cut the oil in half and they still turn out just fine! It saves money and fat. :D

Have you ever tried using applesauce instead of oil in this recipe? Just wondering before I try it if anyone has and whether it worked or not.

How do you grease your muffin pans? My muffins never seem to come out very well and I hate buying the paper cups. Maybe I just need new muffin tins … mine have just about had it.

14. Ann B says

Thanks for the inspiration today Crystal. I finished up my baking at 1:00 and due to the heat, I am done for the day. It is too hot and my air conditioner is having a hard time keeping up today. But I was able to get some things made: a double batch of waffles, a double batch of super power muffins, chicken and potatoes in the crockpot for tonight and taco meat cooked up for tomorrow nights dinner (I’ll just heat it up in the microwave tomorrow).

I used your waffle recipe and they seem like they will be great. It did seem a little runny so I added more flour ( although I have 3 little distractions of my own so I may not have been paying attention when adding my ingredients originally). I also added pumpkin since I had a partial can left over from my muffins.

In response to Susan, I use applesauce or pumpkin frequently instead of oil. Things tend to have a different consistancy, and are more moist , but still good and sometimes better.

I love doing pumpkin muffins! :D I sometimes make a little surprise in the middle with cream cheese/sugar/vanilla. :D

I am sure you have discussed this at some point, but do you have a separate refrigerator or deep freezer in which you keep all your baking day goodies? Or does it all go in your ‘regular’ refrigerator? If you use your regular refrigerator, how do you maximize space?

17. Charity says

Thanks for sharing all of your yummy recipes! My kids (as well as my husband and I) love your Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Whole Wheat Waffles. I fixed your pizza crust recipe last week and my 7 year old exclaimed, “This is the best pizza I’ve ever eaten!” Thanks for all of the great tips!

18. Jill says

Great recipe! I made half, since we don’t freeze things, but I still used a whole can of pumpkin and cut back on the oil. It turned out great. Thanks!

Fran- I have recently started using that Pam Baking Spray with flour. It works really well, I don’t have to use muffin cups and they just slide right out

20. Tricia Young says

WOW Yummy!! I made a batch tonight and these will be a staple in our house from now on! I can’t wait to start a baking day like you did…I hadn’t thought of it! I will be back to this post to see what you made and make some! I had all the ingredients for these muffins so I made them tonight after bedtime.
    My changes: 2 eggs instead of 4, 3 cups whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 cups unsweetened apple sauce instead of oil, 1 1/2 cups sugar instead of 2, 15 oz can of pumpkin, and not quite a full bag of 8 oz chocolate chips because that’s all I had. The recipe still came out great. I baked 12 at a time in greased (sprayed with Pam) muffin cups at 450 for 16 minutes.
    Thanks for an awesome recipe!!!!
    Did anyone else make it in a healthier version and it come out well? What did you do?

21. Sabrina Lawrence says

Hi there. I have tried making muffins and freezing them but when I thawed them they were kind of mushy… this has been the case with a lot of things I have frozen. How do you avoid?

Thanks for your awesome Blog!
    sabrina_lawrence@yahoo.com

22. christi says

I made these muffins tonight but used 3/4 c applesauce and 3/4 c canola oil instead of 1 1/2 c oil. They came out delicious! Next batch, I may reduce the oil even further.

To make it more frugal, I buy pumpkins when they are in season, bake them and mash them and freeze the pulp in 2 cup amounts.

24. Lacey says

I made these this morning. I always use Olive Oil when it calls for oil (healthy and tastes great!) and whole wheat flour (only tastes better to me). I used pumpkin we cooked, chopped and froze from last year’s trip to the Pumpkin Patch. We do not carved pumpkins, but our patch charges you for each person. So, we go ahead and get everyone a pumpkin. I look forward to this Fall even more now that I have a recipe I love and will make for many years!

Please do a post about thawing products. It seems that so many listed above are interested in just that. : )

25. Paula says

Hey! Make these all the time, but just as a FYI, I accidentally forgot the 1cup white sugar, & I couldn’t tell the difference (neither could the kids)! Thanks for all your great ideas!

We made these muffins again today and loved the off-season pumkin from the garden! I have cut the oil to 1/2 cup by adding 1 cup unsweetened applesauce. I also cut the sugar to 1 1/2 cups with no ill effects. Wonderful recipe! Thank you.