Homemade Bread and Homemade Pita Pockets

I began my Baking Day yesterday afternoon since I had a bit of time and wanted to get an early start while I had the chance. I first threw the ingredients for a loaf of Homemade Bread into the bread machine and while that was mixing up, I made up the dough for the Homemade Pita Pockets.

I doubled the recipe for the Homemade Pita Pockets and, in the process, discovered that it seemed to be a recipe not entirely suitable for doubling. The dough was a little difficult to work with. But that wasn’t all–since you are only supposed to cook two pita rounds at a time, by the time the last half of the rolled out pita dough rounds were ready to be baked, they had risen too much and then fallen, making them not bake as well.

005

009

However, despite all of this, they turned out yummy–just not as beautifully-looking as they usually do!

homemade pita pockets

It was also when I was baking the Pita Pockets that I realized this
whole Baking Day thing was probably not the greatest idea ever seeing
as it 100 degrees in the afternoons here this week. So heating up my
whole kitchen was not the brightest thing to do. Oh well!

012

Next up: our favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Comments

1. Bree says

I am with you on the whole heating up the kitchen thing. I have made the pita pockets once before in the oven. I saw a comment once in the blog world that someone put the pitas on the grill to bake off. I am going to try it- I am using my breadmachine as much as possible and exploring the possibilities of even cornbread in the breadmachine, I will try anything to not heat up the kitchen

I would love to join you, but as you said, it is too hot to be heating up the kitchen. This is the main reason I am not joining you. I’ll be watching as usual, though! :)

I love pita bread! And give yourself more credit, they look beautfully tasty too. I wish I could have one! I’ll have to make pita bread one of these days.

My first thought when I saw the notice yesterday that today was a baking day was No Way! Too HOT! But in the fall, I’ll join one of your baking days.

Your last sentence is EXACTLY why we’re not doing any baking right now. We don’t have AC and the highs for the next few days are 98 degC! I’m not turning on anything that makes heat unless it’s absolutely necessary–and that includes lights! LOL

I did my baking at 630 am Sunday for that very reason! Though it was *only* 87 in Columbus Ohio that day, I had my little girl and niece running through my house as well as my inlaws, so I wanted to get it out of the way.

LOL at the heat! I try to find a relatively cool day to do my baking. Thankfully, we’ve had some delightfully cool days here in MD this spring, so I’ve been able to bake without making us miserable.

It’s a lot better to heat the kitchen up one day than it is to do it every day, though, so you can console yourself with that thought!

8. Carol S. says

You’re very kind to include us in your baking day. I promised myself last time that I would join you on the next baking day, but now I can’t because my son and I are both sick. Thank you for this inspirational post for the future.

9. rachel says

I am definitely going to try the pitas. Lately, I feel like when I do buy them at the store, they are dry the NEXT day. Plus, I love trying it myself…

I was wondering about the heating-up-the-kitchen thing. I’m trying not to use my A/C much, so I’m also trying to not use my oven much. We lost our bread machine in a basement-sewage-flood last summer. I miss it.

11. LynetteE says

I think your pita pockets look deeelish! I am going to give those a try. I’ve baked quite a bit of bread but never tried pita bread. Sounds like fun.

12. Kristine says

This may be a stupid question, and a little off topic, but I have been meaning to ask anyway!

When you make ahead meals to freeze, do you pre-cook them? For example, if I make ahead mac & cheese or ziti do I cook it and then freeze? Or should I just put the whole thing together, freeze, and then when I take it out just put it in the oven.

Next question. When I DO take it out of the freezer do I defrost it first before heating/cooking?

Thanks! And don’t laugh at me too hard : )

I did some baking this morning and this afternoon instead of heating up my kitchen I’m making cookie dough and freezing scoops of it, tortillas (made on stove), and then making rolls up to the 2nd rise and then freezing for another day to bake. Definitely too hot here in KS to bake in the afternoon! :D

14. Kim says

Hi Crystal! I’ve never made homemade pitas before, but I know that if you put bread dough in the fridge it slows down the rising process…so maybe if you put the pita dough in the fridge until it’s time for them to be cooked they would turn out better next time?

I’m definitely going to try this recipe. I’ve tried pitas several times before, and they never worked – they cooked okay and tasted fine, but they never puffed and formed pockets. Yours seem to have worked. :)

The pita bread recipe was great. My eight year old daughter is not a big fan of having a sandwich everyday for lunch but when I put it in a pocket it was suddenly great. Thanks!

Wow, I just looked at that recipe. I bought pita pockets this week and now I am sad I didn’t just make them. They sound SO good. Can’t wait to try it!

Jessie

18. allison says

For all of you who have made these before I need your help. When I made these they didn’t turn out at all so I know I did something wrong. When I divided my dough into 8 sections and rolled them into a ball they were not 6-7 in. in diameter so did my dough not rise enough? Also, I want to make sure I read the instructions right-you are not suppose to flatten them out before you bake them-you are to leave them in a ball shape while they are baking? Mine ended up turning into something that looked like 4″ rolls. Thanks for any tips and help!