MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

I was a skeptic about this…

(Note: The links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Read our disclosure policy here.)

I’ve been talking a lot about the Eat at Home Menu Planning Service the past few days and some of you might wonder if it’s worth it to invest in a menu planning service — and I totally get that! In fact, I was right there with you for a long time.

Would I really like menus that someone else planned? Would it really work for us and our eating preferences?

I doubted that I would like it as I had tried other menu-planning services in the past and most were just an epic fail for our family. Plus, why would I pay someone to have menu plans made for me when this was something I had done for our family for years?

Well, somewhat reluctantly and very skeptically, I tried out the Eat at Home Menu Planning Service and… to my great surprise, I fell in love!

The Recipes Are Easy

Like I told you earlier this week, I love that I can make the Slow Cooker recipes in just 5-10 minutes in the morning and then dinner is done.

There’s something so amazing about knowing all day long that you already have dinner planned and prepped and made. So even if you are exhausted at 5:30 p.m., you can relax because dinner is waiting for you!

The Recipes Are Yummy

What surprised me most is that we actually really love the meals. Not every single recipe is a huge home run, but most of them are ones that we find delicious and some have become family favorites.

For instance, yesterday’s Sunday Chicken Dinner in the Slow Cooker was a massive hit. In fact, all dinner long (well, after the kids fought over who got to pray!), everyone kept commenting about how yummy it was and asking for seconds.

It’s rare that all five of us will really, really, really like a meal, so this was a big winner!

The Recipes Are Fairly Healthful

I also love that the recipes are healthful. The Traditional Wholesome and No Flour/No Sugar recipes are the most healthful, but the Slow Cooker menu plan is actually quite healthful, too. Some recipes do call for some pre-packaged ingredients, but you could easily swap out those for something more healthful.

What I Made Today

This morning, I made Zingy BBQ Chicken in the Slow Cooker. This recipe takes about 3 minutes to make total!

I’ve made Italian Chicken with a bottle of Italian Dressing with chicken in the slow cooker and I’ve made BBQ Chicken with a bottle of barbecue sauce with chicken in the slow cooker, but I’ve never combined the two into one. So I’m excited to see how it tastes!

Click to watch the video above for all of the details on the recipe and to see me make it LIVE!

Remember: get 30% off your membership every single month when you sign up by September 19, 2018 and use coupon code FALL at checkout.

Go here and use coupon code FALL to get in on this great deal.

19 Comments

• Allison says:

I was wondering how the meal planning fits with a frugal grocery budget? Are you able to get all the ingredients you need and keep within your $70 a week budget? I’m intrigued by the idea of the meal planning, but am not sure how pricey the suggested meals are to make. (Sorry if you’ve already addressed this 🙂 and thanks for sharing!

• I picked a menu plan this week that went along with what meat I already had in the freezer — so we actually spent less than $35 at Aldi to get everything we needed to make the meals. Most all of the meals are simple and don’t require pricey ingredients, however, if you don’t have a good freezer stash and stockpile, there’s a good chance that it would cost you around $80 to $120 to buy the ingredients. If you already have a great meal-planning system and budget in place, then I’d say to stick with it.

However, if you struggle to meal plan and make grocery lists and find that you are often spending hundreds of dollars at the store, this menu plan system would be a great option… since I think you would likely save $$ and time by using it. Plus, it feels amazing to have a plan for dinner and just stick with the plan!

• Lana says:

Does this work with the way you shop the deals? I am not sure I could combine the way I shop with a menu plan since I shop the deals like you do. We eat what was on sale and what we can pick up at the surplus store. I can’t picture my husband liking meals that he is not familiar with.

• As I’ve talked about on live videos, I think this is a GREAT plan for someone who doesn’t want to mess so much with shopping deals and struggles to plan a menu and stick with it — and is often spending WAY more at the store as a result. If you’re already in a good groove with menu-planning and deal shopping, I’d say to go with that!

• Meg C says:

Crystal, we largely eat vegetarian at our house … would this plan have options for vegetarian families?

• Vanessakc says:

You cam just search a vegetarian or vegan meal plan.

• I’d say no because many of the meals are meat based.

• Amanda says:

I had read that there are vegetarian options… my question is approximately how many vegetarian options are there? Or are there clear instructions for substitutions for non-vegetarian meals to make them vegetarian? I understand that this isn’t a vegetarian-heavy service, but can you make enough meals out of it to be worth it?

• Aimee says:

There are literally zero vegetarian main dishes. I’ve joined for the month to see how it works for us and just looked. I personally do not eat much meat but my family does eat meat. There are quite a few vegetarian side dishes so you could beef those up (pardon the pun) to be heartier and make them a side but as far as true vegetarian main dishes, they don’t have them.

• Sarah says:

How does this work when you start it so early in the morning and the meals only cook for 6-8 hours? My biggest barrier to slow cooker meals is that by the time you work a full day (8 hours plus travel) they are over cooked mush. Are you taking them out a refrigerating them, do you eat that early or are you moving them to warm? I’d love to do something like this but don’t know if it works when you work outside the home.

• Does your crockpot have a time delay on it? Mine does and that might be a great option for you?

• Allison says:

One thing I just started doing (not on the meal plan – just in general) is doing my crockpot meals overnight. I don’t know why I never thought of it before 🙂 I put it all in before I go to bed, then it’s done in the morning and can just be reheated at dinner time. Might not work for all meals, but definitely helps for some!

• Colleen M says:

I have thought about doing this also, but how long do you leave it out before putting it in the fridge? My morning are stressful enough without wait for food to cool! 🙂

Just wondering as I work well beyond 8 hours each day without including travel time.

• Lori says:

I was skeptical but decided to do this. My life needed a way to let something go and I decided this was it. My kids are picky eaters so I’m not sure how they’ll love it, but I decided that it will be good to expose them to more instead of trying to cater to their likes and dislikes. So far I’ve loved this system! I love how it’s color coded and there are multiple plans to choose from! We primarily use the crockpot one but the weeks it looks like it won’t work well we choose another set of recipes. The color coding helps with easily identifying which items go with which meal. And the release of stressing over what to make for dinner is amazing! Way worth my kids complaining a bit when it’s not something they naturally gravitate toward.

• Kelly says:

Do you know if there is a way to preview a few sample meals/recipes before signing up? I am especially interested in seeing the wholesome & no sugar/no flour plans?

• Denise Clark says:

Has the deal expired? The code didn’t work today (9/23).

• Julie K says:

So, how did you like it? I would love to try it.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy