MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

The 3 Books I Read This Past Week (+ what we spent hours watching last week)

Welcome to my weekly Book-ish post where I share what I’ve been reading and watching recently. If you missed it, you can see my Reading Goals for 2018 and 44 Books I Plan to Read This Year

(Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, and we will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking through our links. Read our disclosure policy here.)

And it’s week #5 of reading 3 books in a week! I’m so excited that I’m continuing on with this trend!

Here are the three books I finished this past week:

1. The Broken Road

This book wasn’t what I was expecting, but as someone who has a very driven personality and who is prone to work too much or put my worth in my work, this story hit home in many ways and caused me to think and step back and examine my life and choices.

(I listened to this audiobook for free on the Libby app.)

2. The Orphan, The Widow, & Me

I really enjoyed this story (thank you to whomever out there recommended this book to me — I’m not sure of your name because it was awhile ago!). I did feel like the text could have been tightened up and the storyline made a little stronger, but overall, it was a good read and I’d recommend it.

3. Whispers of Rest

I absolutely loved Finding Spiritual Whitespace, so I was excited to read this followup book. It’s one you want to savor over a 3-4 week period (that’s what I did).

If you feel overwhelmed with your life or just need some encouragement to rest in the Lord and stop feeling like you have to control or micromanage or stress over everything, I think you’ll find this devotional helpful. Plus, it has a lot of practical ideas and advice, too!

One thing I wanted to note is that I found some parts fairly repetitive and I also noticed a number of typos. (If that kind of thing bothers you, I just thought I’d mention it.)

I flew to India yesterday and today (if you want to follow along with my trip behind-the-scenes, be sure to follow me on Instagram Stories). On the first flight from Nashville to Chicago, I had two empty seats next to me… and I made the most of it! 🙂

What We Spent Hours Watching

The CrossFit Games were last week, so we spent hours watching them live online over the course of a 4-day period. We are all pretty big fans and each have athletes that we were especially cheering for!

(We went to the CrossFit Regional competition earlier this year and got to see some of these athletes compete live so that made it even more fun!)

I love that this is something Jesse and I can enjoy together — and that the kids get in on, too!

When I Find Time to Read

People are always asking me how I find time to read. Honestly, it’s because I love to read, because I’ve chosen to prioritize it, because I don’t have a lot of other hobbies, and because I can’t not read. Also, when you love something, you usually can find ways to get creative to find time to fit it in — even if it’s in the little nooks and crannies of life.

I wrote a post on 3 ways to find more time to read — even when life is busy. And here are 7 more ways to find time to read.

What did you read and watch this past week? Any books or movies or shows you really think I need to read or watch?

26 Comments

• Bobbie-Jo Riehle says:

Your post about typos in Whispers of Rest has a typo…lol 🙂

• Ha! Well, considering I don’t have multiple editors (like books do!) and I wrote this after only getting about 3 hours of sleep in a 36-hour period (I had just gotten to our hotel after traveling for a day and a half to India!), I’m not surprised. 😉 Thanks for catching that… I think I fixed it, but let me know if you find others. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time!

• Bobbie-Jo Riehle says:

I didn’t mean to be critical at all…I just thought it was really funny! Especially since you were directing your comment to people who notice typos. I don’t typically notice typos myself 🙂 Look forward to hearing about your trip 🙂 Thanks for the much needed daily chuckle 🙂

• Kimberly says:

I am amazed that you can read 3 books in a week! I love reading but with 4 kids I barely have time to sit and read one chapter. I admire you! I hope to be where you are one day!!

• Roxanne says:

I love your shoes! What brand are they – super cute 😍

• Sheris says:

Love those sandals!

• Amy Medeiros says:

I’m on a big Richard Paul Evans kick lately, and The Broken Road is next on my list! Great choices!

• Laurie says:

Thank you for sharing your book choices! I’m currently rereading the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace. They are lovely books and I am enjoying them even more as an adult than I did as a child/teenager.

• Carrie Bennett says:

Almost done listening to Love Lives Here by Maria Goff and really enjoying it – easy listen and ties in Biblical truths to her stories.

• Anna Rose says:

I listened to The Walk by RP Evan on CD from the library years ago and would cry while prepping dinner. I loved that series and highly recommend it!!! Recently I finished reading Haroun and the Sea of Stories (I previewed and will read aloud to our kids) and 90 Minutes in Heaven (a tough read). And I am finishing up Persuasion by Martina Boone. A YA book by Virgina author we’ve met. And starting Lead Like Jesus.

Thanks for your book updates! It is encouraging me to read while we have some summer downtime.

• Monica says:

I loved the Richard Paul Evans books. I got started on them and could not put them down! I have also been reading Terri Blackstock If I Run series. So good if you like a little suspense! I love seeing your book selections. Thanks for sharing!

• It has been awhile since I have stopped by your page, historically I had been a faithful follower, but things just got crazy. I decided to stop by again today and was excited to see your post! I too am working on reading more.
    I have seen your journey through out your blog and it has been amazing. I have to giggle, because I have also done Mike Mathews women’s lifting program as well as am really into CrossFit now. A read if I may suggest… Rich Froning’s book. Also Tia Claire-Toomey’s, I really enjoyed both. I was at the CrossFit Games for a day last week, and if you wish to read a bit about my trip, you can find it hear: https://heavyweightsandpancakes.wordpress.com/2018/08/05/the-games-2018/. Thank you for all of your inspiration through out the years!

• I’ve read Rich’s book and just found out that Tia had a book — so I ordered it last week! THANK YOU for sharing the link to your post about the games. I’m off to read it right now…

• Jen says:

Thanks for sharing your books. Your posts inspire me to read more. It has always been a favorite hobby of mine but kids and busyness got in the way for awhile.

I set a 50 book reading goal this year and am nearing the halfway point(a little late). I should finish book 25 in a day or so. Making it a priority has helped, and my kids have gotten older.

I did find I can waste a lot of time scrolling around on my phone that now I try to pick up a book instead!

• Bonnie Gray says:

Thank you, Crystal! I’m so happy to join you en route to India through Whispers of Rest – especially since carry-on space is such a premium, friend! 😉 I especially loved that you got two empty seats to stretch out on your long flight (YES, thank you, God!). It’s a gift and blessing to be here on your virtual reading bookshelf, in the community of your friends. Wishing you the best time in India – may it spark new inspiration for your heart and your journey! (btw, great catch on those typos. We’ll lasso them away in future printings!)

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy