MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

12 Months to a Healthier You Check-in: Week 4

12-Months-to-a-Healthier-You

Are you joining us for the 12 Months to a Healthier You Challenge? If so, it’s Friday and guess what that means? It’s time for our weekly check-in to post our progress.

January’s Challenge:

We’re focusing on developing the habit of exercising more in January. I encourage you to set a simple and doable goal for exercise and to stick with it.

If you haven’t set your January Exercise Goal yet, be sure to do so and then leave a comment on this post telling us what your goal is. New to this challenge? Read more details on the plan for this year here.

12 Months to a Healthier You

My Exercise Goal for January

My goal for January is to consistently exercise at least 5 times per week. I plan to follow the P90X workout schedule except for the days when I’m traveling/out of town. On those days, I plan to stick with cardio/running.

This Week’s Progress:

So I didn’t entirely bomb this week like I did last week, but between my book launch and a cold, I only managed to exercise a few times.

Truthfully, I was feeling frustrated over not hitting my goals again this week, but my friend Joy reminded last night the last two weeks have been very different than usual and I just need to practice what I preach and give myself grace. So I’m trying to do just that. 🙂

How Are YOU Doing?

Leave a comment telling us how you did on your exercise goals this past week. If you’re blogging about this challenge, leave the direct link to your blog post about the challenge below.

Are you on social media? You can also share your progress on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter by using hashtag #12MonthstoaHealthierYou.

48 Comments

• Elise says:

I can’t imagine the busy week you’ve had!

I’m not progressing at all toward my goal of deadlifting 200lbs, since it’s soooo cold outside where the weight set is, but I *am* working ou with kettlebells in the house, so I still feel pretty good about be ammount of exercise I’m getting. 🙂

• Shelly says:

Yes, you should definitely give yourself grace. With the book launch and a cold I’m amazed that you were able to get some exercising in. That’s great.

This week I did get all of my exercising in but I also took two naps this week, which is not normal for me, but I was just so exhausted. I was going to push through the tiredness on those two days but I remembered I should give myself grace.

• Carla says:

Oops! I forgot about the entire thing. I guess I was not committed. I will begin tomorrow on the recumbent bike.

• Denise says:

glad your book launch is going so well!!!! and glad you are giving yourself grace especially if you’ve had a cold!

• Maria says:

Still on track here! I’m managing to get my exercises in. I’m trying to figure out if what I’m doing is what I ought to be doing. I’m reflecting out what I want to gain from exercising and decide what would be best for me to do. I think P90x and Insanity have been ruled out…..and those that do those routines, bless them, for they are stronger and have more endurance than me.

• Charity says:

Tomorrow I’ll finish my 4th week of P90X! I’m also using the Lose It app to keep track of my calories. I’ve lost 4.4 lb since 12/30! Yeah!

• Sarah says:

Well, I have continued to do the 2 days a week that I have been doing for a while, so chalk that up in the plus column. However my goal of adding in one more day a week has been a total fail so far. I’m not giving up on it and will keep trying to fit it in, but my schedule is pretty much full with an 8 month old who wants 110% of my attention at all times. It’s a good thing he’s so darn cute!

• I think what you said was very important to note. You didn’t say “well this week has been busy” you said that this week has been very different for you. Sometimes life is going to take a very different turn for a while; a few days, a few weeks, and it’s just not practical for us to try to stick to our usual routines, even less to stick to a new routine! It’s not an excuse, it’s a reason, and you do your best with what you’ve got, and keep going! 🙂

• Wendy Klik says:

I’m sticking in there. Thanks for the support.

• Marie says:

I can’t imagine all that’s been on your plate. You are succeeding, just in other ways. Please do give yourself grace.
    I’ve had to give myself grace this week as well. We, my husband and I, are into week 2 of the Super Shred diet. I bombed the working out but kept up with the eating (except for a handfull of gumdrops-oops!). However, I had debilitating cramps all week to the point of getting sick. I was suppose to schedule surgery back in Dec and it keeps getting forgotten. So on my list for Monday is a call to the doctor. But I was proud of myself for keeping with the diet and not throwing in the towel.

• Joye says:

This week I added an extra five minutes of cardio to day 3 of my workout. Once again, used a fifteen minute yoga workout to fight a migraine yesterday. It feels really good to be able to work through the pain in an effort to be healthier. Got all five of my workouts in a day early, so tomorrow I get to relax!

• Lori says:

This week was rough for me. I’ve been so exhausted over the past two weeks and don’t know what’s wrong with me. I did manage to go to 2 CrossFit classes and did 2 short workout on the elliptical later in the week, so I guess it wasn’t too bad. I just hope I start to feel better soon. All I want to do right now is sleep. 🙁

• Molly says:

Tomorrow is another day! You’re right — it’s been an eventful, weird couple of weeks for you. It’s not everyday that one releases an awesome book! So keep giving yourself grace and get back into it as quickly as you can. You’ve got this!

• Holly says:

Enjoyed finding your website this evening. Congratulations on your Book Launch…and that goal to get exercising. I started training for a marathon this year and it’s amazed me how making a commitment has turned running into a daily habit for me.

• Brittany says:

Well, I was feeling discouraged about my health until I realized that I worked out four times this week! It isn’t a ton, but more than I have done recently, so that was quite encouraging.

I also completely avoided grain, sugar, and dairy (even foregoing a little Hershey’s kiss at the doctor) UNTIL today. I don’t know what happened, but I subconsciously decided that since I was feeling better, I could eat whatever. Sooo, I split a large fry with my sister, ate samples at Costco, and then ate Greek Yogurt at home–not once, but TWICE. Sadly, I am paying for it now, so I think I’ll be motivated enough to stick with the plan in the coming days. 🙂

• Jessica says:

I have met my 70,000 steps goal and 30 minutes a day of focused exercise goal!

• Tonya says:

I did okay this week. I started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, and needless to say, it kicked my butt! However, I’m stilled committed and am mixing the workout with walking on the treadmill on my days off. Hoping I can get at least 4 days if not 5 in next week.

• Kim says:

I might be a little late the party but today I will finish week 3 of P90X3. I have managed to miss one day a week and frankly that is still 5 out of 6 days so I am not going to stress over it. Every time I missed had something to do with my kids so I just give myself a break. I love my girls!

My goal for the month of January is to complete P90x3 per the provided schedule. Giving myself a grace day per week 🙂

• Jessica says:

I did yoga 6 times this week, better than my goal of 5. I’ve found that yoga really helps with pregnancy discomfort.

• Emily says:

Well, I neglected Pilates a few days this week. No excuse, just neglect. I hope to get it in today and continue next week. Still waiting on my toes to heal before I can incorporate other forms of exercise.

• Rose says:

flu here this week : ( Probably lost a couple #s but not in a good way : (

• Cathy says:

My goal has been 4 workouts per week and I’ve met that until this week. Came down with a bad cold Wednesday evening plus our temps have been colder than usual so I did not go on my usual Thursday morning hike or do my Friday morning Chalean Extreme weight workout. However, I feel a bit better this morning so I got up and did Friday’s workout today. Not going to feel bad about this week as I did what I could. Hopefully, next week should be better!

P.S. Received your book on Thursday and finished it last night. Excellent! Now I’m thinking of who I know who would benefit from reading it that I can pass it to next. 🙂 Thanks for all the work you put into it.

• Kellie says:

Exercising a few times on the week your book comes out sounds like a huge achievement to me! Btw, I ordered your book last night — can’t wait to read it!

I met my goal — 3 days jogging for 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 2 days of strength training for 40 minutes. I’ve been doing the jogging since March and while I know it got me into better shape, being consistent about the strength training this month has made my clothes fit a lot better!

• Krissy says:

I’ve managed to do my walking and weights three times this week. I’d like to bump it up to five. Hopefully next week I will hit that goal!

• Lauren says:

I think one of the keys to maintaining any sort of healthy lifestyle changes (and any new habits really) is to give yourself grace. I am currently training to be a personal trainer and have found both with my own fitness and people around me that the ones who stick with things long term are the ones that make it a “lifestyle.” But by making a lifestyle change you also have to acknowledge that life is full of ups and downs and there will be seasons that allow for more fitness and seasons that don’t. I don’t mean to discourage anyone from working out (the opposite, in fact!) but to realize that life can only have so many priorities, and sometimes fitness isn’t going to be #1 and that is OK! You have a ton on your plate right now I’m sure, so applaud yourself for what you have been able to accomplish and don’t get discouraged if you aren’t able to do as much as you’d like. Fitness is a journey, just like so many other things in our lives!

• Angela says:

I did my 30 minutes of exercise five times this week. I hope I can keep this up all year!

• Dacha says:

Still keeping up with my goal of getting some form of exercise every day as well doing at least one yoga posture as soon as I wake up!

• Leah says:

I have made time to be active this month. I’m in my last semester of college and mothering two high maintenance children to boot, but I figured the least I could do was get up earlier and jog/speed walk with weights as many miles as there are days in the month. Today I finished my 24th mile. So I’m only one day behind.

• annie says:

Last night I began shoveling the driveway about 8pm. My youngest came out to play in the snow next to me. When I was finished, she asked if we could go sledding (at the nearby public high school). I took your advice about being a ‘yes’ mom. So hubs, my 12 yr old daugher, max the yorkie and I all went sledding for the first time in years. Boy, walking back up those super long high hills made my heart pump.

And today, I stuck with my bite size goals and I can’t believe I’m sitting DOWN doing something enjoyable. I’m not exhausted either. *faint*

• michelle says:

I didn’t do my normal goal of Insanity because I left the DVDs at my in-laws house. 🙁 I did get 30 min of other workouts in 4 out of my 5 day goal. I’m takin your advice and also giving myself grace.

• Emily Adams says:

I am proud of myself, I actually exercised 6 times last week….When my actual goal was 5 times a week. I am surprised how much better I feel when I exercise!

• Shelley says:

I was sick this week so I only walked once. But starting to feel better and planning on walking tomorrow.
    I am glad your book launch has gone well. I started reading today….so glad I preordered.

• Jen says:

I made a list of New Years Resolutions, but I’ve been so overwhelmed this month that I decided I would start working on them in Feb. One of my New Years Resolutions is to start working out once a week. I know that seems incredibly low, but going from 0 to 1 is a goal I feel I can accomplish and stick with. Plus I’ve been suffering from a back injury and after being told awhile ago that I had signs of paralysis below the waist, being able to workout once a week now seems like a blessing. I know I’m starting a little late with your challenge, but I want to join in anyways and I’m going to throw in one workout this week and a workout next week.

• Weiting says:

haha, finally i found out how I can leave a comment!!
    my goal is to do yoga at least 5 days a week, and the yoga I follow is Ali Kamenova. I just found this challenge today, so I didn’t record my practicing, but I think at least in January I did her yoga almost everyday.

• Vicki D says:

Hi, I’m late in checking in, but I got 3 of my 4 workouts in. I’m not happy about it, but I’m making “Progress”! (My word for the year) I feel like this one small word, has given me so much peace and I has helped me to continue on, instead of quit. For example, I ask myself, “did I make any progress this week”, so far in all four weeks I’ge made some form of progress…albeit small, its progress none the less! It feels so much better than beating myself up! 🙂

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy