MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #1

Welcome to April’s 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge (read more here, if you missed my announcement about this challenge last week)! Are you ready to whip your house into shape? I know I am!

April 1, 2013 Project

Your project for today is to surface clean your living room and kitchen.

Here’s what I’m planning to do:

• Set the timer for 15 minutes and pick up and put away everything that’s out of place. Bonus project: Find 7 things to get rid of.
  • Next, wash the dishes in the kitchen (if there are any), wipe down the countertops and surfaces in the kitchen.
  • Finally, vacuum the living room.

You can follow along with my list — or do whatever constitutes “surface cleaning” to you. There is no one right way to do this. 🙂

Then, come back here at 6 p.m. EST and I’ll show you pictures of my cleaning accomplishments for today and have a linky so you can link up yours, too!

Join in the Chatter

::Want to blog about this challenge? If you’re blogging through this challenge with me, be sure to leave your link to your direct post on the daily check-ins. Plus, if you’d like to post your daily posts to the 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge Pinterest Group, just shoot me an email (moneysavingmom @ gmail dot com) and I’ll invite you.

::Want to follow along on Twitter or Instagram? I’ll also be sharing some of my cleaning pictures on my Facebook Page, my Twitter account, and my Instagram account. I’d love to have you do the same or join in the discussion on Twitter and Instagram. Just follow hashtag #Cleanin30 to see what others are tweeting and Instagramming about this challenge!

photo credit

Other posts in the 30 Day House Cleaning Challenge series

1. Join us for the 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge in April!
  2. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #1
  19. 30 Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #11 Update
  20. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Projects #12-14
  21. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #12-14 Update
  22. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #15
  23. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #15 Update
  24. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #16
  25. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #16 Update (And help! What do I do about the boy bathroom smell?!)
  26. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #17
  41. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #29
  42. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #29 Update
  43. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #30
  44. 30-Day House Cleaning Challenge: Project #30 Update

97 Comments

• Misty says:

This is going to put a super fun spin on Spring cleaning! FANTASTIC! I’ll be joining here http://gracemediaadmin.vpweb.com/blog

Good Luck & Happy Cleaning All!

• Melodie says:

So excited for this challenge! We close on our first home on Thursday and will be moving, but I’ll follow along as best I can 🙂 Packed up most of my clothes and have a box ready for Goodwill….so definitely getting rid of more than 7 things! Now on to cleaning the kitchen -which won’t be too hard because it’s tiny 🙂 A nice break from packing….

• Becky says:

Looking forward to this challenge…I’m only starting now at 9:11 pm but I’m determined to get it done! I have 4 kids, age 5 and under, homeschooling and so house work always seems to be the one to suffer. I hope this will keep motivated and that even a little bit of work makes a huge difference in the end. Thanks for the challenge.

• Victoria says:

My sister-in-law is doing this. I’m going to do my best also. With boys and a new puppy, my house is looking at one of its lowest points right now!

• Denise says:

I really want to do this challenge but honestly some days lately it is all I can do to make dinner when I get home from work. We have a lot of stressful events happening at work…and I’ve been exhausted 🙁

How do you ladies that work full-time jobs keep up with all this?

• Teresa says:

I was wondering the same thing (:

• Crystal says:

Denise: I think it sounds like you need to just give yourself some grace. If you’re able to just do 5 minutes in the morning of whatever the project is, do 5 minutes. And if you don’t get to it, that’s completely okay.

You have a lot on your plate. {hugs!}

{And maybe some of the others in a similar situation can offer some more practice advice and ideas of what works for them.}

• Denise says:

Thanks 🙂 I’m really a terrible housekeeper! But I’m good at cooking and keeping up with laundry!

I did clean our tub over the weekend and my husband is a mechanic so that is NO SMALL TASK!

I’ll try doing 5 mins instead of 15 🙂

Love your blog and all your encouragement!

• Luba says:

Thank you so much for doing this series, Crystal. You always know how to keep us cleaning and organizing (which is a great thing), and I am constantly learning from you. Thank you for being a blessing to me and to many others!

• Marie says:

I am really going to try and stay with this challenge! My goal for yesterday was to get everything back in place before school today so I was excited that the challenge fit my goal already! Due to recent birthdays, spring break and Easter toys and legos had migrated to the living room! Plus my kitchen counters needed clearing off once again.
    I can say my counters are cleared and cleaned! My living room is spotless now and all toys have found there original homes! I finially even got the Christmas CD’s that have been sitting next to the CD player put away. I was so inspired I even dusted all the surfaces in the living room before vacuuming. I feel great starting the day knowing that all the clutter is cleared and everything is back in it’s rightful place and things are a little cleaner.

• I did it! It made such a difference, and was so quick and easy to do!
    ~Linda

• Joe Cheray says:

I found this challenge by way of Facebook and it was a timely challenge as I am transitioning this month to working part time from home and part time to my art studio and trying to see if I can juggle two business models at the same time. I have to go through my house and take anything art and design related and pack it up and take it to my studio. I have also been able to get my blog online this week so this will be a great way to get my new blog up and going as well. This is my fourth blog 🙂

Here is my post

• Kati says:

I’m super excited to join in! One question: when will you mop your kitchen floor? Is this on the day you surface clean the kitchen, or on days when you sweep or vacuum all floors?

• Elise says:

Love this! I’m behind, but hoping to catch up!

I’ll be blogging about it here: http://elisejanay.blogspot.com/

• Kelsey says:

Just started today so I’m doing some catching up! Cleaned up for 15 minutes while my son (1 year) was in his high chair eating, so it’s about to be a complete mess again when he’s done, lol. But I vacuumed the living room and kitchen as well because the dogs sleep in there so there’s always a ton of fur.

• Janice says:

I really enjoyed listening to you speak at the homeschool convention in Cinci this past weekend. Thank you for all the work you do to provide us with such a variety of topics and EXCELLENT idea’s and tips. Plus, encouragement!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy