MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Creamy Milk Rice

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

This has to be one of the easiest side dishes ever. And frugal to boot!

My husband grew up eating this creamy, comforting dish, so I was first introduced to it after I married into the family. And honestly, I never really cared for rice until I tried it served like this.

It’s a stick-to-your-ribs kind of side that can be served all year round. You can serve it alongside roast in the winter, or grilled chicken in the summer.

I’ve yet to meet another family who has heard of “milk rice,” so I’m curious if we’re the only family out there!? It falls somewhere between creamy mashed potatoes and risotto.

Since it doesn’t have a strong flavor, it pairs well with spicy or barbequed meats. And for those of you who prefer more flavor – feel free to liven this up however you like! Fresh herbs or Parmesan cheese, anyone?

My 2-year old likes this rice so much, that he will often come into the kitchen when I’m making dinner and ask, “Making rice, Mommy?”

If you feel like you’re stuck in a potatoes rut, here’s a super simple recipe to switch it up a little!

Have you ever made “Milk Rice”?

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 6, 4, and 2). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

112 Comments

• Melanie says:

funny…it’s what’s for breakfast this very morning.

• Jean says:

My mom fixed this all the time with fried chicken. Thanks for reminding me. I’m going to introduce my husband to it. Great comfort food!

• Val in MN says:

My Grandmother made something similar with cinnamon sticks and a little sugar added, and always served it as a side at holiday dinners. I love the idea of savory as well, and adding cheese or herbs. YUM

• Chad says:

I grew up eating milk rice for breakfast almost every morning. I thought I was the only family that ate it. Mom would always add a little sugar to give it a sweet taste. I now live in Brazil and have many families here eating it.

• LaToya says:

I thought my family was the only people in the world who are this lol we call it breakfast wife.

• Tamela Sigmon says:

Here in the south (NC) that’s the way we eat our rice and we eat it with fried sausage or country ham for breakfast, or with country style steak and gravy or chicken for dinner and supper.

• linda says:

My polish Grandmother made this all the time. We had this for dinner, not as a side. I never made it, but I want to. So I am looking for a recipe. We always added sugar on top and cinnamon. Great comfort food.

• Elli says:

Haven’t tried the recipe yet. My mom made milk rice for dinner. We put boysenberries, cinnamon, milk and sugar. It was all we ate for the meal.

• heidi says:

This is what we eat on Christmas Eve! Norweigian Rice Mush!!

• Vee says:

I make this, with sugar and call it sugar rice.

• Tenisia says:

We ate this all the time. We call it “milk you rice”. We are it for breakfast, with fried chicken or fried pork chops.
    I just started making it for my husband and he loves it

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy