MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Today’s Target trip: Spent $37.94, Saved $82.73!

I mentioned awhile back that we’d implemented a paid chore chart system for the girls. They have chores that they do just as being part of our family and then extra chores that they can elect to do and get paid for.

Kathrynne, being the entrepreneurial type that she is, has really gotten excited about the whole paid chore phenomenon–especially since she has her eye on some specific items at Target that she wants to buy. She often does multiple paid chores each day and keeps a running tally of how many more paid chores she needs to complete in order to earn enough to buy what’s on her wish list.

I love the real-life learning that is taking place through the paid chore chart system. The girls are learning that, if you apply yourself and work hard, you reap rewards. Conversely, if you choose to play instead of doing paid chores, you won’t earn any money and therefore won’t have any money to buy anything when we go shopping. It also significantly cuts down on whining and keeps things simple: if you don’t have money or you didn’t bring your money, you don’t get to buy anything.

While earning money in real-life isn’t always as simple as completing more chores on a chart, the girls are still learning so many valuable lessons with regards to handling money. And the neatest thing has been to see how they are working together as a team–sharing payment for chores when they help each other out and pooling their money to buy different things.

Today, the girls had earned enough to buy a small LEGO set. While we were perusing the aisles to decide which one to buy, I was so excited to find a text offer for MEGA BLOKS — if you text EASTER to TARGET you’ll get a text coupon back for 50% off any MEGA BLOKS set. So we were able to use this coupon on the Hello Kitty Playhouse Set to get it for just $17!

We also scored some amazing game deals. I rarely ever buy games, but we love to play them as a family and when we have guests over. At these prices, I couldn’t resist!

Target Shopping Trip

4 8-oz. blocks of cheese — $1.89 each, used 2 $1/2 Target coupons = $1.39 each after coupons

1 Up & Up Baby Wash — $1.52, used $1/1 Up & Up Body Wash coupon = $0.52 after coupon

1 Scrabble Simon or Yahtzee Flash — $15, Used $5/1 Target printable coupon, stacked with $5/1 Scrabble Flash, Simon Flash, Yahtzee Flash printable = $5 after coupons (plus got free Hasbro card game with purchase)

1 Candyland game — $7.79, used the $3/1 Candyland Target Coupon, stacked with the $3/1 Printable Candyland coupon = $1.79 after coupons

1 Electronic Monopoly Game  — $15, Used $5/1 Target printable coupon, stacked with $5/1 Monopoly game printable = $5 after coupons (plus got free Hasbro card game with purchase)

1 Hello Kitty Mega Bloks Set — $33.24 — used text coupon (text EASTER to TARGET) to get 50% off = $16.62 after text coupon

Total with tax: $38.01 (my receipt says I saved $82.73!)

85 Comments

• Nicole@Mealr says:

Just got back and swiped the game deals. This is such a great way to build our family’s game collection! I got:

1 Scrabble Simon – $15, Used $5/1 Target printable coupon, stacked with $5/1 Scrabble Flash, Simon Flash, Yahtzee Flash printable = $5 after coupons (plus got free Hasbro card game with purchase)

1 Cootie game — $7.79, used the $3/1 Candyland Target Coupon, stacked with the $3/1 Printable Candyland coupon = $1.79 after coupons

1 Electronic Monopoly Game — $15, Used $5/1 Target printable coupon, stacked with $5/1 Monopoly game printable = $5 after coupons (plus got free Hasbro card game with purchase)

1 Hello Kitty Mega Bloks Set — $33.24 — used text coupon (text EASTER to TARGET) to get 50% off, $3 Target coupon, $5 off manufacturer coupon = $8.72 after text coupon

Made an additional purchase for $8ish of another item without any coupons.

Total without tax: $30.11 (my receipt says I saved $90.32!)

• Amanda says:

For the Hello Kitty set – Can you use the 50% and $3 off, since they’re both Target coupons? Where did you get the $5 mfr coupon? My daughter would LOVE this for her birthday!

• She looks so proud of her Target haul! 🙂

I might need to pick up the Scrabble Flash game next time I go!

• Sarah says:

Your kids are so adorable. I enjoy your blog and the money saving ideas are so inspiring!

• Lisa says:

So sad…..looks like the Monopoly TQ is gone. 🙁 Do you know when it expired? Thanks for sharing!

• Beth says:

I’ve tried to print the game coupons, but none are showing up on the Target coupon website. Did they take them down?

• jen says:

I tried to print them yesterday afternoon and they were gone 🙁

• Anna says:

Thanks so much for this post! I was able to get Candyland and Chutes and Ladders (mentioned in a previous post) for incredibly cheap, and going back to get the Monopoly game – even though the Target coupon isn’t available for that one, it is still a good deal since it is on sale + the manufacturer’s coupon.

• Alyssa says:

Today I went to target to use my 50 % off coupon for anything Disney Princess. At first I was going to get a princess barbie but then saw at the end of the aisle the Disney Princess Vanity/Piano was on clearance from 99.00 marked down to 30.00. I used my coupon and got it for $15.00 !!!!! My daughter was thrilled….wish she wouldn’t have been with me so I could have saved it for Christmas!!!!

• April says:

I am totally against the idea of paying my children to do chores. First, I don’t get paid to do thing like take out the trash or was the dishes, why would I pay them to do it. Secondly, I want them to understand that just because you do something around the house doesn’t mean you get rewarded for it. You are a part of this house and need to take care of it just like the rest of us to.

As for the thing about learning to handle money, I don’t believe that is the only way that you can teach it. My step-daughters get money from things like birthdays and holidays, we have taught them handling/saving money with the money they get from that.

• Crystal says:

Thanks so much for commenting! That’s exactly the reason we have paid chores and non-paid chores. As I mentioned in my post, we believe that there are chores that you do as a member of our family and then there are extra chores that you can elect to do and get paid for. The regular chores are non-optional, whereas the paid chores are optional. It’s worked really well for our family so far and is helping to foster a stronger work ethic and sense of money management in our children.

However, what works for our family won’t necessarily work for another family so definitely do what works for you!

• Cheryl says:

I have to agree with April. It creates a sense of entitlement within people. “If I go beyond my regular duty, then I should be compensated for it” mentality is fostered. I work with many adults who learned this idea at home and it is also developed in school with all these reward and incentive programs. I am struggling to find a way to help my son be responsible about money without giving him real money to “play and practice” with. I involve him with our cash budgets for food, household, and family fun so that he can really see how far money can go. I am hoping to find a kid software program that teaches about budgeting with a “virtual” family since he loves to use the computer and has a strong interest in math. If anyone has heard of something like that….please post.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy