MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Busy Bag Idea: Button Snake

Another fun Busy Bag we received in our Busy Bag Swap box was a button snake.

This simple activity just uses a ribbon with a button sewn on one end and a piece of felt sewn on the other. Cut out squares of felt and cut buttonhole-like slits in them.

This is a perfect thing to keep in your purse or diaper bag to pull out and hand to your child when you’re waiting in a waiting room or at an event where they need to be sitting quietly for any length of time.

Variations: Encourage your child to string the felt in pattern using a few different colors. You could also cut out the felt pieces in different shapes.

See this post for more detailed instructions on how to make a Button Snake.

21 Comments

• Carrie says:

I love this idea. It would be perfect for my little girl and then I would do more colors for my boys (who are older). I love the idea of working with patterns. I will be heading to get some felt soon!

• Tanya says:

This would also work with fleeces scrap (of which I have a ton!!)

• Shay says:

I forget how old your little boy is? I have a 2 year old and was trying to think if some of your Busy Bag ideas would work for him? They are cute ideas Thank you!!!

• I love this and the look of concentration on your son! I plan to make one and hope my son will also be so intent!

• What a great idea! I need to try this. What age group do you think this works best for?

• Anne-Marie says:

I just love these photos of little Silas “working.” Thanks for sharing them.

• Ann says:

Great idea! I love this!

• BethB says:

Thank you so much for posting these busy bag activities. My 5 y/o is going to school a full day this fall and I need to up my stock of activities for the 2 y/o. Once I get a grasp on a few other back to school projects I’m looking forward to planning a curriculum, so to speak, for my little guy.

• Kristy says:

Thanks, Crystal! Silas is so serious (and his cheeks are too cute)!!! I have a 3 y/o little man who needs some more “quiet” activities once the hub-bub of summer is over and big sister heads to (gulp) 2nd grade! I think that he will really like the ones you’ve posted so far! Keep ’em coming!

• brandy keagy says:

Thanks for the busy bag ideas! My little guy,also 2 in may, is going to be going on a 21 hour road trip with is to grandma’s house, so I need all the ideas I can get!

• Becky W in MI says:

Hi,
    I’m really intrigued by these busy bags. My girls are a “little” older, K-5 and 1st, so i don’t think that some of the ideas would work for them. but i was thinking, what about the Minute to Win It games? My girls love the show and have already tried to make their own makeshift games. Things like the Cereal box puzzle would be neat or the egg roll or egg tower. I also just had a brainstorm thanks to my K-5 DD. We have small shaped paper punches like you would find at Joann’s or Michaels that my girls love too. They just starting “punching” away and it keeps them busy 🙂

• Noelle says:

Google minute to win it and you’ll find a website with all the games listed (complete with instructions and needed materials. We had a minute to win it birthday party last spring and the kids loved it.

• Cortney says:

I love these posts. I def. need to make one of these for my little guy to work on those fine motor skills. He has special needs and it is always nice to see some of the same activities/concepts presented in different ways! Keeps it interesting for them:) Thanks for posting!

• Janice says:

We love button snakes! I sell them in my etsy shop too… a great option if you don’t have lots of felt hanging around, or don’t have the time to make one your self. I can make them with ribbon more suited for boys, girls, or gender neutral.

Here’s the link to my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/feltyfun?ref=si_shop

• Emma K says:

Does anyone have an idea of how to store all the Busy Bag activities? The ones that I’ve received are still sitting in the boxes, cluttering up the living room. But the kids can get to them easily so that part is nice.

• I love this one! I wish I had some felt in the house. Feels like a bit of a crime not to…LOL

• Mandi says:

I made 3 of these for my children and instead of the felt piece on the other end I used a locking ring so I could attach it to the cart or carseat or stroller or anywhere so that if they dropped it it wouldnt hit the ground they have worked out very nice!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy