MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Southwest Roll-ups

My sister-in-law brought all the chicken pre-cooked and chopped for the Freezer Cooking Day, which saved us lots of time and effort. We used it to make a few of the recipes–including one of our favorites, Southwest Roll-ups.

southwest roll ups

This recipe is so simple, uses inexpensive ingredients, and freezes really well.

23 Comments

• Celena says:

I make these all the time now! I love that they are so quick and easy. I’ve actually found that there is no need to thaw them. I put them into the oven straight out of the freezer, and bake for about 30 minutes. Turn out wonderful! Yum! My 13 month old daughter can eat a whole one all by herself, she loves them! 🙂

• Kimiko says:

Just a quick tip. If you stick the tortillas in the microwave for a few seconds before rolling, they’ll be soft and won’t crack.

• Beeb says:

Yum yum yum! I’m definitely going to make this during my next round of freezer cooking!

• Lisa says:

Does this make 8 or 16 servings? It says 16 tortillas, 16 servings, but only uses 1/8 of the mixture on each tortilla. Did I miss something? Is sounds delicious, but I want to get it right. Thanks!

• katy says:

I make something similar to these, but also add rice and a handful of frozen corn. Instead of baking them I “grill” them on all sides in a non-stick skillet so the tortilla gets crispy. Love them!

• Heather says:

OK, I can do this, I’ve decided. This will be my first frozen food venture. I’m excited.

• shirley says:

Do you make your own tortillas? I have been making mine for the last couple of years, but I am not sure exactly how to get them just right for making burritos. I make breakfast burritos, which my husband loves, but if I use homemade they are too thick and not big enough. Any suggestions?

• Audrey Maza-Velazquez says:

I use my corn press to flatten my flour tortillas as well. Then after I press it, I will roll it out with my rolling pin just a little bit more. It makes it a little bit thinner, like what you see in the grocery store.

• Karen says:

I can’t remember the last time I let lard in the house. Can you substitute butter for the lard and get away with it??

• Karen says:

The lard question is in regard to the tortillas….sorry.

• Audrey Maza-Velazquez says:

I’ve been making them for about 19 years (my husband is from Mexico). There are a few choices like Lard, Butter or Crisco. I use the baking Crisco that comes in the bars and not the round can. For me I think it sticks better, but you can use butter. Use a unsalted butter if you put salt in the tortilla mix, or u can omit the salt and use a salted butter. I find that Blue Bonnet works the best. It’s just really about preference. Just don’t use cooking oil, that is a mess waiting to happen..

• Emily says:

Do you have a recipe? I’ve got one, but I want a more authentic one and the one listed in the recipe isn’t coming up for me

• Mmmmm…yummy. I love anything that even comes close to resembling anything mexican. ;0) Sarah, from http://www.mealplanningmommies.com did a great chimichanga recipe that reminds me of this one, and I LOVED it so much that I have made it several times in the last month.

• Jane McArdle says:

I make something like this but i use egg roll wraps to keep the carbs down

• Nicola says:

Can you cook these before freezing? Mine are usually used as grab and go meals as my children eat out at their sports classes several times a week

• Diane V says:

These are AWESOME! I’ve been making and freezing these for a few years now. I mix all the ingredients together, including the cheese, because it saves me a lot of time and not have to worry about running out of cheese if I’ve been too generous on a few burritos. My kids love these and it’s so nice they can just take one out of the freezer and pop it in the oven. We don’t thaw to bake, it takes about 30 minutes to heat all the way through from frozen. I’ve also made these with cooked ground beef instead of chicken and they turn out just as wonderful.

• Heather says:

Has anybody tried reheating these in the microwave like the frozen burritos from the store?

• Desiree says:

The homemade refried beans & tortilla recipes are not showing up 😞

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy