MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Baking Day: Southwest Roll-ups and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I'm not meaning to leave you all hanging for hours on end, I just find that when I sit down to blog, I lose my focus. So I'm trying to stay off the computer more this Baking Day and just focus on, well, baking!

We also took a break from being in the kitchen to have our afternoon Reading Time. We love reading together and I try to make a point to read to everyone at least 20-30 minutes every day, even on those days when we take a break from our usual routine.

But here's what I've accomplished since I last checked in:

I finished all the waffles! I ended up with a mountain of waffles (five bags!) which should last us for every bit of 8-9 breakfasts. That means we should be stocked on waffles for at least another 5-6 weeks. And that's a great feeling. My picture of all of these will be coming in the final Baking Day photo.

I also chopped up all the chicken I had boiled and made up Southwest Roll-ups. These are one of our family's "staple recipes". You know, the kind that you turn to when you are feeling brain fried in menu-planning or just need a really easy dinner. I've been making these and freezing them ahead of time recently and have found this works well, too.

Southwest Roll-ups (makes 8 roll-ups)

1 can refried beans
1/4 cup salsa
1-2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
8 tortillas

020

Mix together beans, salsa, and chicken.

021

Spread 1/8 of mixture onto one tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up and turn ends under. Stick in a freezer bag or in a 9×13 baking pan.

022

When ready to bake, thaw and bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through. Sprinkle with more shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired. Serve with salsa. Serves 4.

I bought this huge bag of chocolate chips at Sam's Club on Saturday so I made some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (the recipe is here).

019

I've heard there is a canned pumpkin shortage in some parts of the country, but I have quite a few cans which I bought a number of months ago for $0.25 each so I'm well-stocked. And now that I have plenty of chocolate chips, I'll likely be making more of these muffins as they are one of our favorites.

023

I made them with all whole wheat flour and I don't think you can even
tell a difference. My husband loves these in his lunches! I stick them
in the freezer once they are cooled and then just pull out a few and
stick them frozen into a baggie into his lunch box. By lunch time, they
are thawed and ready to eat!

PicltLptr
(Picture from Marg at RecipeZaar)

Next up: Chicken Tetrazinni and Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

62 Comments

• Theresa says:

I make my own refried beans because of my daughters food allergies. They taste better, are tons cheapers, and healthier too!

I’m totally going to boil up some beans to freeze. In the winter, I go through tons of pinto beans and black beans in soups. (If you haven’t tried black beans soup…yum!) Thanks for the idea. That will save me tons and I like that idea of having beans without all the extra additives.

Can’t wait to try your pumpkin muffins. I might give thema whirl gluten free as well.

• Stacie says:

I really need to get in on this baking day. You really have inspired me. I could save a lot of money and make alot of my own things like been burritos.

• Carol says:

The Southwest Roll Up sound great! I am hoping to plan a baking day in the near future and will be including these for sure!

• Susan says:

Hi there, have you ever tried using applesauce in place of at least some of the vegetable oil for the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins? Just wondering if you’ve tried it and how they turned out.

• Sarah says:

You can often get cheap (or even free!) pumpkins after the holidays. Scrape out the meat and fill gallon freezer bags for fresh pumpkin to cook with later in the year 🙂

• Holly says:

Crystal these are my fav! However, I make it in cake form 😉
    You know, now that you mention it- there is a pumpkin shortage! I have called my local trader joes for weeks – NO PUMPKIN! I was bummed too because I wanted to feed my lil’ pumpkin organic pumpkin.

• Was so excited to make the muffins when I got everything out I realized I had no Cho-chips, SO we switched to butterscotch. Wow are they great. Will try with the other chips next week. These are some of the best muffins I have ever had, and I made them:)

• Kim says:

I do a lot of the things that you do at home – you just seem to do them so much better and more efficiently! Question – do you have some ideas for make-ahead freezer meals that don’t include pasta, or so many carbs? My hubby is doing great losing weight on a lo-carb diet, and I hate to sabotage him with meals like lasagna and chicken tetrazinni (two of his favorites, by the way!) Thanks for your great ideas!

• Beth says:

After reading these comments, I saw a clickable link to the McCormick $1 off coupon, FYI. I found it through the light recipe.

• Kristie says:

I would love to know how you schedule your day with little ones. I have two littles and with winter coming I need some ideas on having a more structured day.
    Thanks.

• Lauren says:

Made the muffins this weekend & LOVE them!

Made the Southwest Roll-ups this morning & can’t wait to try them. Thanks for posting the pics ~ they helped me to know what size tortillas to use & also how much bean/chicken mixture to put in each tortilla. I am such a visual learner!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy