MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Worth Reading: Bread stores and bath towels

::Meredith's post here on buying bread from bread/bakery outlets was very helpful. I've done this myself many a time and found the prices to be almost unparalleled. Now if I could just find a bread outlet which was close to my usual shopping route so I could do this again!

::Marie walks you through a helpful tutorial here on how to make a hooded bath towel. If you're a little bit savvy with a sewing machine and are able to find a great deal on towels, this could make for a very inexpensive gift. We've been given one of these for each of our children and I personally just love them!

9 Comments

• Laura says:

We don’t have a good bread outlet, but our Big Lots store has a GREAT bread section! I try to buy healthier breads without high fructose corn syrup and I can find brands like Arnolds and Sara Lee premium type breads for less than half price.

• Becky says:

These hooded towels are absolutley addorable!! My DIL loves hooded towels. I will be making some of these. Thank you !!!

• Jennifer says:

I’ve been buying all our bread at the bakery thrift store for several years now. It’s great! We can get the “good” bread (Earthgrains, Sara Lee) for less than what generic bread would cost at the grocery store. On occasion I’ve felt like I “should” be making our own bread in order to be a good and frugal homemaker, but I’ve decided, with prices so cheap, it’s not worth the effort at this stage in my life when it’s already hard to get anything done. We’re fortunate to have a store very close to us; if we didn’t, I’d probably get more into bread-making.

• Suz says:

I have to agree with the bread store shopping! I do it on an every few week basis and freeze what I won’t use that week.

I buy better quality bread than I could ever afford at the grocery and we love it. Quality is always good at my local store!

• Joni says:

I went into my local Dollar Tree after work and they had a load of bread they just received from a store. I got Nature’s Own white wheat type bread that only has 40 calories per slice and a Pepperidge Farm swirl roll with cranberry and raisin for $1 each. I am definitely going to start going there on Tuesday’s which I told was their day for bread. They also had the 16 packs of hot dog and hamburger buns! How awesome it that!!!

• carrie says:

I just picked up a hooded towel in the $5 per bag part of our local consignment sale. When I used it, i noticed it was unusually thick and soft. Checked the tag: Pottery Barn Kids. Go for up to $39 according to the Web site. Nice!

• Ruth says:

I love the post about making your own hooded bath towels! Keep ’em coming!

• Lady Di says:

I love the Bakery outlets as I used to work across the road from one & the actual factory too. I near blew up as I practically lived there and this was ’83. If there’s a Schmidt, Holsum, or other outlet near you, just check the expiration dates. Giant always has bakery markdowns. ALWAYS. “Oops” is how they term them.

Also, like mentioned all Dollar (Tree, Buys, Bills, General, Days) outlets that carry bread can get you some good discounted mini pies, breads, and more. Again, check your expiration dates.

Plus, Food Pantries, well some, get an over abundance of bread. I used to take them plastic bags as a way to help them help the people who were served.

• Jean says:

Love the hooded towel pattern. I have a pattern for hooded towels, but it is a lot more complicated than the one you shared. Thanks!!!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy