MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Ask the readers: Long distance plans?

We had a busy and eventful last few days and I’m taking half a day off from blogging to take care of some things on the home front here. I’ll back this afternoon to share some more great deals. In the mean time, would anyone like to share some input on Amy’s question?

I wondered if you’ve got any good tips/advice/comparisons on long distance calling
plans. Currently, we have unlimited long distance with our home phone
but are considering canceling all of that. Have you researched
whether it’s cheaper to have a cell phone only and use it for
everything, have a calling card and keep a land line with no long
distance, or have you discovered something else? – Amy

What does your family do for long distance calls? What have you found to be the least expensive option? What works best for your family? Tell us in the comments section.

112 Comments

• Tania says:

We have DSL and use Vonage for our phone.
    It is the best deal we have found for our area. (Vonage is an internet phone company.)
    I have a post about Vonage here- http://myeverydayjoys.blogspot.com/2008/03/
    saving-money-on-phone-bills.html

• Angela says:

We have been using Skype to make on-line video calls. You can use it to call land lines, but I’m not sure how that pricing is structured. We also have cell phones with nights and weekends starting at 6 pm.

• Justine says:

We use Vonage… costs us only $18 a month and has been reliable and a great savings to us!

• Courtney says:

Vonage! It’s a wonderful option for keeping the long distance bill manageable. We love it and can’t say enough about it.

Blessings,
    Courtney

• Satsuki says:

Before I had my cell phone I used to buy my “phone cards” online. They’d email the code and you could call a local number and get a good rate. This worked out better than the ones in stores- price wise. I think it depends on how much you’re going to use it. $10 lasted me about 1 1/2-3 months usually.

• Sandra says:

We use a lesser known VOIP company called Voice Pulse. http://www.voicepulse.com/ It’s $14.99 for unlimited local, 200 min. of long distance, and all the good stuff like call waiting, caller ID, etc. For over 200 min. it’s 5 cents a minute. We’ve been very pleased with them, and it’s the cheapest phone bill we’ve ever had.

• Raj says:

I’ve been using a company called WQN for years now to call to both UK and France. There are no taxes, fees, or equipment to set up. The quality is great and the rates are very competitive. They give FREE minutes to their customers all the time with special bonus offers. They also have a loyalty program that gives their customers up to 3000 FREE minutes every 6 months. I’m able to get lots of free minutes to call my destinations with great quality.

Check them out at http://www.WQN.com

• Mary says:

I got a magic jack but I dont understand it fully. DUH right? lol. How do I keep my phone number? I currently have all my internet, cable and phone in one HUGE bill. If I cancel my phone dont I lose my number?

• Alison says:

I dont think we have “the best deal” out there, but after a good deal of searching this is what we have. Quest home with unlimited long distance, 2 cell phones with no roaming (also quest) 1000min, plus about 200 bonus min for getting it at the “right time” and all 3 of these can call each other without using any of our plan min. Also included in the bundle is the high speed internet, and my husbands satalite TV that he “cant live w/out” (the middle level, not just basic but no premiums like HBO) all this including taxes for just under 200 a month. I think that sounds high until I see friends who pay almost that for cells and high speed w/out cable and home phones so maybe we did get a good deal on it. Good luck looking for what works for you!

• yaolin says:

Like anything, I think there were be pros and cons to Magic Jack (I have never personally tried it before).

See

• zahir says:

A couple of people already mentioned Onesuite and I must agree that Onesuite is one of your best option out there. Let me just add why I chose to use and stay with Onesuite.

1. Pay as you go/Cheap rates – This is like an insurance to me. No yearly or monthly plans. That means you may quit anytime you want without having to worry on your unused minutes. For roaming rates, just check this comparison page -> http://www.onesuite.com/comparisons_roaming.asp

2. 24/7 live customer support – As far as I know they’re the only one offering round the clock live phone support. It comes handy when you don’t have internet access and you have a question to ask that can not wait until the regular working hours.

3. Online access – Everything can be done online, from adding money to your account to checking your usage or call history. But everything can be done offline too and through their toll free phone support.

As an added bonus, now you can use your Onesuite account for voip calls too. That means added accesibility and cheaper rates on some destinations.

Now I only use my mobile for emergencies.

• Lori says:

Regardless of what we do for long distance we have always kept a basic landline for emergencies. We have 3 small children and since we sometimes have babysitters who may not have a cell phone, I want to make sure that we have a way to contact them when we are away from home and that they have a way to call out. We have tried a variety of different long distance plans and so far the most-cost effective was buying cheap phone cards at the drugstore or job-lot store. Since we now have relatives living overseas, we are soon going to try Skype and see how that compares in call cost and quality.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy