Quick & Easy Fried Rice

fried-rice

Guest post from Aliesha of Feathers in Our Nest

Restaurant-style fried rice is easy to make at home! It’s a frugal recipe to serve for lunch (or alongside some homemade Asian food) and it is great for incorporating sale produce or using up veggies in your fridge that are about to go bad.

This recipe is very flexible – just use what you have on hand and adapt it to your family’s taste preferences. We like to make it using leftover rice from another meal, but you can definitely cook rice specifically for this recipe.

Aliesha is a stay-at-home wife and mom with three precious blessings ages three and under. Her blog home is Feathers in Our Nest, where she writes about family, ministry, food, and frugal living. Aliesha loves to read, shop thrift stores, drink coffee, and cook for her “foodie” husband.

Comments

1. Amy says

Great recipe! I also like to add some sesame oil to our fried rice. It makes the taste so close to our favorite chinese restaurant. We added a yellow squash the other day to our fried rice, and it was great!

So funny you said that about sesame oil, because that’s exactly what I was going to say! I also like it with homemade crunchy sauerkraut. I know it’s not Asian (but kimchee is, and that’s related to sauerkraut), but I like having something crunchy-textured in there. Rice vinegar is a good tangy addition too.

2. Sissy Sweet says

I can’t wait to make this. We always have left over veggies. Since I buy organic, I always use every speck. I save the small left over pieces for soups, but this is another great alternative. . Thanks for this post.

3. E.Blake says

One suggestion;
    Replace the soy sauce with Braggs aminos, it taste just like soy sauce but so much better for you.

4. Melanie E. says

A tip I picked up somewhere was a big help for me when making fried rice: it works much better if you make the rice ahead of time and either refrigerate it or freeze it (and then thaw it). It helps to separate the grains better, and you don’t end up with a clumpy mess. When I used to try fried rice, it was always gloppy and sticky; learning about freezing it first was a *huge* help.

I usually make it with leftovers from a previous night’s dinner.

5. Belinda says

The recipe looks delicious! Is there anything that I could use as a substitute for the coconut oil? Thanks!