Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins

blueberry-muffins

Guest post from Laura of Life As A Loewen

I love the way blueberry muffins can be eaten for breakfast, snack, or even dessert! This recipe is super-simple, (practically) fool-proof, and makes you the “muffin hero” in less than a half-an-hour!

Even more, I love that this recipe is fairly healthy, using intentional ingredients to make a more nutritious muffin. It’s a great recipe to make when blueberries are on sale!

Try this recipe today and feel free to use your own variations to suit your family’s needs. Either way, these will be a big hit and probably a new staple in your home!

Laura is a mama of three littles {and adopting another!} trying to pursue Jesus daily. Attempting to be genuine and raw, Laura seeks to find the humor in everyday life. Laura shares her journey through faith, motherhood and marriage at Life As A Loewen. She’s passionate, sometimes loud, and always in the mood for cupcake ice cream.

Comments

Hey Beth, frozen will work as well! I usually just run them under warm water for a minute or two in a colander.

Laura

• Carrie says

I’m curious about this too … that is a LOT of baking powder and it seems like it would affect the taste. Is that the correct amount? I’d like to try this recipe but would hate to waste my ingredients!

Hi Holly and Carrie! The amount of baking powder is correct. These do make 2 dozen muffins, and is based on a nearly fool-proof unicameral muffin recipe I found several years back. They always taste great. Let me know what you think. :)

Laura

Hi Hannah! Yes – absolutely. The original recipe I based this off of called for vegetable oil. I LOVE butter (and it makes everything taste dreamy – doesn’t it?) but try to use more coconut oil in baking now. ;) Would love to know how yours turn out!

Laura

1. Kristi says

I just made these and they are great..a healthier tasting blueberry muffin! For those asking about the baking powder, I thought 6 tablespoons seemed like a lot of baking powder too so I only use about 3 teaspoons! Mine have a little steeper peak than those in the picture but I also used half whole wheat and half all purpose flour..I’m not an experienced enough baker to know what all affects the rise. I also used less blueberries than called for and my coconut oil wasn’t all the way melted. Thanks for the recipe!

My kids and I just made these, and they turned out great! I felt like the 6 tbsp of baking powder was too much, so I only used 3. It worked great!

Also, we used flaxseed & water instead of eggs, maple syrup instead of sugar, replaced one cup of whole wheat flour with quick cooking oats, and used a mixture of blueberries and raspberries because that’s what I had on hand.

These were delicious!

2. Stephanie says

Has anyone tried making this in a 9 x 13? I prefer to just pour it in and bake it…I’m lazy that way :-)