One-Hour Freezer Cooking: Pizza Pockets, Pepperoni Pizza, and Flaky Biscuits

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

I did a One-Hour Freezer Cooking session today while Jesse was making dinner. It was so fun for the two of us to be working in the kitchen together!

I ground some whole-wheat flour first since I was running low on flour.

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

And had a little spill with the flour mill… whoops!

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 9.31.47 PM

After grinding up some flour, I made a batch of Freezer-Friendly Pizza Dough.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 9.31.55 PM

I used half of the Freezer-Friendly Pizza Dough to make Pizza Pockets.

Screen Shot 2014-06-05 at 9.32.03 PM

I basically just put a little pizza sauce (leftover from something I made last week) and some pepperoni and shredded cheese (also leftover from another recipe — I’d stuck the extras in the freezer last week) and then folded them up and baked them.

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

I used the rest of the dough, pepperoni, pizza sauce, and shredded cheese to make a pepperoni pizza.

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

Finally, I made a batch of Flaky Biscuits. I had found this recipe earlier and wanted to try it since it seemed so simple.

It was SO easy — and I was really happy with the end results. For all whole-wheat biscuits made with coconut oil, these were delicious. {I used regular milk instead of Silk since that’s what I had on hand.}

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

While I was cooking on one side of the kitchen, Jesse was working on the other side making a new recipe he found for Bell Pepper Nachos.

One-Hour Freezer Cooking

I was very impressed with how this recipe turned out. They were flavorful, easy to put together, and very nutritious.

Most of all, it was just fun to hang out in the kitchen with my husband — and to also have his help with clean-up (my least favorite part of cooking!) I feel so blessed that our new lifestyle here in TN is giving us opportunities to slow down and just live everyday life together like this!

Recipe Links:

Comments

• Joanne Peterson says

Sorry Crystal, I meant specifically the bell pepper nachos recipe. Especially I appreciate it since I requested the recipe a couple of days ago in the comments when you mentioned it on your blog, and now you have a recipe link.

• Heather says

Ditto! Thank you for the Nacho Bell Pepper recipe link :) I can’t wait to make them this weekend. When my daughter was just about 18months old she used to cry at the store if I didn’t give her a “wed” pepper to eat while shopping (not my finest moments, but it worked!) and she would love the red drool down her chin. I always had to pay for the one she was holding…LOL! Peppers are a daily thing around here and I am always looking for new recipes. Thanks again!

• Dana says

my son would do the same thing with grapes. I had to make sure I weighed them and got a printed scan bar or paid for them before we started shopping because by the end the entire bag was gone!

Crystal, I’m so thrilled to read posts like this again!

I discovered you way back when you were blogging at Biblical Womanhood. I followed your blog very closely for several years, and although I still visit MSM periodically for frugal tips and coupons, I have to say I missed the “personal” feel and connection of your old blogging style.

So… welcome back to your roots! Yay! Blessings on you and your new home. I look forward to reading more. :)

Did you freeze the pepperoni pizza? If so, please tell me more about that process! We have an absolute favorite homemade pizza dough recipe and I would love to be able to make it into frozen pizzas. Thanks!

3. Julie says

Do you make your own pizza sauce ? If so will you share the recipe ?
    Everything looks YUMMY !!

4. Kim says

I’ve never tried using all whole wheat flour without any all purpose flour in biscuits. They look so yummy. Do they rise okay?

5. Suzanne H says

So you used all whole wheat flour for the biscuits and they came out okay? I know you mentioned that they were all whole wheat but it looks like the recipe calls for all purpose flour so I want to be sure. A healthier biscuit would be a big hit in my house!

I love that Jesse cooked dinner last night!

My husband doesn’t cook for us very often, but I love it when he does. Even though he doesn’t cook much, he likes to give me advice when I’m cooking. (He’s a mess!)

7. Jamie says

I’ve been wanting to get a grain mill. Do you like yours? I’m not sure which kind to get.

I do like mine! So great to have fresh wheat — and it’s a lot better and less expensive than buying it pre-ground. My dad bought mine for me as a Christmas gift a few years ago and I love it!

I’m interested in a homemade pizza sauce recipe too!

And I love this post! I love that you cooked together and helped each other! Love the bell pepper recipe too! Looking forward to trying it!

If anyone has a great homemade pizza sauce recipe, I’m all ears. I’ve actually never made one before. I typically just use whatever pasta sauce I got a great deal on… usually from Target by combining a coupon with a sale! :)

• Ann says

I have used this one before and it’s pretty good. I did not create it and I can’t remember where I got it from.

Pizza Sauce
        4 cloves garlic
        1 tsp salt
        24 oz tomato paste
        32 oz tomate sauce
        2 tsp sugar
        1/2 tsp pepper
        2 tsp oregano or pizza seasoning
        4 Tbsp olive oil
        Dash red pepper flakes, optional
        Combine all ingredients; mix well. Makes approximately 6 cups, enough for 8 large pizzas. To freeze, put 1 cup sauce in freezer bag, lay flat, squeeze out the air. Freeze for up to 3 months or keep in fridge for up to 2 weeks.

9. Cathy says

So fun to see regional differences–you put the cheese on top of the pepperoni and I’ve never seen that before :-)
    Love the blog and it really comes through in your posts that you are happier and less stressed :-)

10. Angie M. says

Crystal, I’ve been following your blog almost daily since 2009. I wanted to tell you how happy I am that you have returned to your more personal style of blogging! :) I have missed these types of posts so much. Your happiness is evident and I’m glad you are following your heart.

God bless you.

11. Heather says

Crystal…do you have a tutorial somewhere on your wheat mill? I am interesting in getting one, but am not sure. BTW, how much wheat grain do you buy to use in a given month would you say? Trying to determine the cost rational… Thanks!

12. D Ripley says

Bell Pepper Nachos were excellent. I skipped the guacamole, since it is not a family favorite, and added cheese. Yum. And, bonus, the peppers are on sale for $1 each this week at Giant.

13. Brenda says

I’m trying to find your freezer-friendly pizza dough recipe yet whenever I click on the link the page is blank. Could you please send me the recipe? Thank you for sharing your recipes. I’ve been enjoying them here on Guam.

14. Dana says

Whenever we make homemade pizza the inside portion of the crust (under the toppings) comes out doughy still. We don’t want to cook it much longer or the bottom and the edges will burn.
    Do you have a problem with that? I looked at your linked blog post for the pizza dough and see that you cook it at 500 for 10 minutes (approx).

15. Becky says

Sorry, lame question: for pizza. Pockets and biscuits, did you cook before freezing, or will they be cooked later? I am never sure at which point in the recipe to freeze for best results. Thank you!