Couponing Without Sacrificing Your Family’s Health

healthy foods

Emily emailed in the following tip:

My family of 3 eats a 90-100% organic, non-GMO diet… and we spend about $250-300 per month on our homemade meals. After buying as much local foods as we can, and growing what we can in the spring/summer, we use coupons and watch for store deals.

Here are a few sites where I find coupons for natural & organic products:

Mambo Sprouts
Common Kindness
The GreenBack’s Gal
Manufacturer’s websites (i.e. Enjoy Life, Stonyfield, Annie’s, San-J, Organic Valley, Horizon, Applegate, Simply Organic, Zevia)
Manufacturers Facebook pages (i.e. Maranatha, Green & Black’s)

We make our weekly menu, then our grocery list, and then we go online to see which manufacturers offer printable coupons. We also check sales ads on store websites, and then check all the other sites for possible coupons for things on our list.

It takes a little extra time at first, but once you develop your routine, it’s pretty quick, and definitely worth it. We have saved just under 50% on a large grocery trip by using coupons and sales.

Also, don’t forget to check clearance items at grocery stores, too. Sometimes things are marked way down because they’re almost at their expiration date, but are easily preserved.

photo source

Comments

1. Jessica H. says

Wow! I am so impressed with how much money you are able to save on mostly organic food. I would love to see some of your meal plans. We spend almost twice that much on organic food even with shopping sales.

2. Rebekah says

So Sprouts & Whole Foods will take coupons?? I just started exploring organic foods recently & I’m wanting to switch. :D

3. Jena says

Wow! We’ve just about went broke on organic food lately. Would love to see a few example meal plans of yours to use as a guide.

4. Lisa englert says

Do u work outside the home? I only ask bc I can’t seem to find the time to do all the prep work it takes to eat organic gmo free meals let alone on the budget

5. Theresa says

This is nice to see. I rarely use the coupons in the sunday paper or elsewhere because they usually are for items packed with sodium, sugar, fat… just plain unhealthy. We have found buying clubs on facebook that are local areas selling local organic beef, chicken, produce…I’m anxious to check these out. We have cut back everywhere we can just to be able to eat healthy food. Thanks for sharing this information.

6. WilliamB says

It surprises me how often people forget about coupons for non-food products. While it’s true that there are relatively few coupons for unprocessed foods, you can save a lot of money on toilet paper, scrub brushes, and soap.

Sadly, Whole Foods in my area won’t allow stacked coupons.

We are a family of four and where we are at, the lowest I could get our monthly groceries down to was $300 to $400 per month — though rarely do I ever go over $300 (that includes diapers and toiletries though). We too eat organic. Also, we do a lot of dairy-free and gluten-free. Because we don’t eat anything processed, finding coupons and lowering the bill hasn’t been easy. But it’s worth it. I mean, when you eat junk, you feel like junk. And no matter how much you save, that’s not worth it.

8. Jessica says

I won’t comment about my opinions regarding organic and elimination diets, but I will add to look for overall discounts like this week’s $10 off a $50 food and beverage purchase at Target. They have their own line of natural and organic foods and you can also use store coupons, manufacturer coupons and Cartwheel in addition to the threshold coupon.