Eating From the Pantry: Day 3

Eating From the Pantry

It’s Day 3 of our Eating from the Pantry Challenge and the fridge and cupboards are getting barer. And we’re almost finished with all the packing, too. Just a few little odds and ends and part of our bedroom and we’re D-O-N-E! Yay!

It was a beautiful day and we made the most of it by spending a few hours in the afternoon with some friends at the park.

Eating From the Pantry

Don’t you just love the beauty of farm fresh eggs?

Eating from the Pantry

I found a club soda in the cupboard, so I introduced the kids to it. They weren’t big fans, but I loved it with a little lime juice. So refreshing!

Eating from the Pantry

Popcorn is a favorite snack at our house! It’s been a few weeks since we’ve made it, so it was a great from-the-pantry snack for today!

Here’s the run down on what we had today:

Breakfast: Baked Oatmeal

Lunch: Fried Eggs, oranges, Banana Bread (I had a salad.)

Snack: Popcorn, apples with almond butter

Dinner: Baked chicken with spices, oranges, green beans

Eating From the Pantry

Are you eating from the pantry this week? If you are, leave a comment telling us what you ate today. Or, if you’re blogging about this challenge, leave a link to your direct blog post below that details what you ate for the Pantry Challenge today. I can’t wait to see your creative ideas!

Comments

1. Heatherc says

Crystal- I notice you are eating salads this week for lunch. What do you use as dressing?

• Linda says

I don’t use dressing either. Growing up in another country, I’d never even heard of salad dressing until we moved to the states. We just squeeze some lime juice and a bit of salt on our salads and it tastes great.

2. Vanessa B says

Breakfast- sausage and biscuits
    Lunch- kids had hot dogs, cottage cheese and cuties, I had the last twice baked potato
    Dinner- Barbecue bacon chicken sandwiches, baked beans and cottage cheese

BREAKFAST
    -Oatmeal with pears
    -Hard-boiled eggs (left from Easter, of course!)

LUNCH
    -Peanut-butter & Jam sandwiches (with homemade bread: http://www.sixfiguresunder.com/how-homemade-bread-is-helping-to-pay-off-our-student-loan-debt/)
    -Asparagus spears (from the garden)
    -Salad (lettuce from the garden)

SNACK
    -Graham crackers

DINNER
    -Potato soup (potatoes, carrots, onion, asparagus)
    -Green Smoothie (strawberries, raspberries, nectarines, & chard all from the freezer, thickened with homemade yogurt- http://www.sixfiguresunder.com/homemade-slow-cooker-yogurt/ )

4. Julie says

We’re not eating from the pantry all week, but we were well overdo for our weekly trip to the store so we were making it until I went tonight.

Breakfast–oatmeal with add-ins: raisins, peanut butter, sugar (they pick)
    Lunch–celery with peanut butter/cream cheese, rice cakes
    Snack–carrots
    Dinner–baked bbq chicken thighs & legs, honey glazed carrots (left over from Easter dinner), 30 minute dinner rolls (from MSM recipes), salad

I went to the store tonight…fresh fruit again…yay!!!

Today wasn’t too interesting. There was enough leftovers from the last two nights that I didn’t have to cook dinner, so that’s good. Breakfast was hard boiled egg. Lunch was a salad. Dinner was leftover Chicken Makhani from last night.

We had another meal made from Easter leftovers last night. This morning I am making Kielbasa and eggs for breakfast and that will finish off all of our leftovers that are in the fridge. Tonight we are having a party for our daughter’s birthday (it is actually an engagement party but she doesn’t know that yet) so no pantry eating tonight..we will be feasting.

You can find my dinner from last night at http://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com/2014/04/night-3-of-planned-leftovers-and-eating.html

Your popcorn popper looks as old as mine. LOL. I got it my freshman year in college (at age 18) and I’m 46 now! The yellow plastic on top has split in two but it still works great. With a bag of organic kernels at $2 plus a 30-year old air popper, can’t get more frugal than that!

8. HokieKate says

Cereal for breakfast, baked potatoes with canned chili for lunch, and chicken with brown rice and frozen green beans for dinner.

9. anon says

Hey, can anyone help me out? My husband and I both work full time. We have a large family (six kids) and are having trouble with two things: 1. staying in a reasonable budget for food, even with two full time incomes it is often a struggle (esp since my job only pays minimum wage) , and 2. finding the time/energy to actually cook healthy meals. Any suggestions?

I just saw this challenge yesterday. We ate spaghetti with italian sausage pasta sauce and fried popcorn shrimp. Everything was in our stockpile. It was yummy.

I am loving to see what everyone is coming up with to eat. Great ideas for our family in the future. :D

Breakfast
    I made smoothie as usual because I have all ingredients (banana, frozen berries and peaches, pine apple, yogurt, water)
    wrap with turkey meat, cheese
    Lunch
    kids will eat at school. For myself I made a veggie soup with home made chicken broth
    Dinner
    probably will use pasta and tomato souse plus frozen meatballs.

I am trying to empty my freezer as well… :)

12. ClareC. says

Not planning to eat from the pantry all week but we were overdue for a trip to the grocery store so we had scrambled egg burritos for dinner. Sauteed all the veggies I could find in the fridge for toppings, along with cheese and salsa.

We have the same popcorn popper. The kids always get a kick out of watching the popcorn pop and jump into the bowl. Plus the occasional half popped one that comes out and fully pops in the bowl and sends popcorn flying is funny. They know to stand a couple steps back once it’s almost done. Our day 3 challenge is posted on my blog. http://wp.me/p4vI3P-1f

Before I began living within my means, I didn’t really think about the food I already had when I was doing meal planning. I never actually planned our meals. It was either pick up something from the grocery store on the way home or stop at the closest fast food restaurant. The food in my freezer and shelves just sat there going bad because I didn’t have the time or take the time to prepare it.

Those free spending days are gone, and my family and I are having some of our best meals cooked at home and all the ingredients are pulled from our kitchen shelves and/or the freezer. I do not enjoy cooking so my meals are usually quick and simple. Some of my staples are tuna, chicken, frozen veggies, pasta, and potatoes. I try to make a dish large enough so that we can have left-overs the next day.