This Week’s Menu + One-Hour Freezer Cooking Plan

Taco Meat

Breakfasts

Oatmeal, Cereal, Eggs, and/or Fruit

Lunches

Mac & cheese, fruit
Snack-y lunch {veggies, cheese, yogurt, fruit, crackers, etc.}
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches from the freezer, carrot sticks, apples

Slow Cooker Southwest Soup, Homemade Soft Pretzels, fruit
Upside Down Pizza, fruit salad, steamed veggies
Breakfast for Dinner: Pancakes from the Freezer, scrambled eggs, fruit
Olympic-Ringed Pizza, fruit, steamed veggies
Dinner out
Dinner with extended family x 2

What’s on your menu this week? Tell us in the comments or leave a link to your menu plan post.

Comments

• Susan says

We tried that recipe when it was first posted a little while ago, and my daughter turned her nose up. We ended up scraping off the biscuit part and eating the meat mixture by itself. We then decided that it would have been really good with lasagna noodles, or some other kind of pasta.

• Amanda says

We loved it. I made two versions of it (just used two 8×8 pans and poured half the topping over each). To one, I added pepperoni, Canadian bacon, and green peppers. To the other one, I added pepperoni, Canadian bacon, and jarred jalapenos. It was awesome tasting, and it was even better the next day.

1. Kim says

I made homemade ricotta cheese to use in spaghetti pie this week. It was soooo easy & more frugal than cottage cheese or store bought ricotta. Here’s the link to the recipe I kind of went by:

I used all 1% milk (instead of the whole milk & heavy cream) because it’s lower fat & that’s what I already had. I used apple cider vinegar instead of white wine vinegar. I didn’t have cheese cloth, so ended up pouring it through a metal wire strainer & was pleased with the results.

The recipe said to discard the whey (the liquid you drain off). I reheated it, added another tablespoon of vinegar, & strained it again to make more ricotta. Then I froze the remaining liquid to use in pancakes. I’ll definitely make this again!! :)

• Susan says

Thanks Kim. The thought of making ricotta cheese has never occurred to me. We use it a lot in various dishes.

2. Lana says

The grandchildren would love to help make that cinnamon roll cake the next time they visit! What a neat idea!

We’ve made butterscotch brownies before, they were really good. I’m going to give the giant cinnamon roll cake a try it looks delicious.

We made upside down pizza tonight, but we used gluten free flour and dairy free cheese because of food allergies. I also added mushrooms to the recipe. Worked perfectly and tasted yummy!

5. Amanda says

I was wondering about the Butterscotch Brownies Recipe….it say add 10 2/3 tbs butter melted. Seems like an odd amount…is that correct? Thanks!

I tried those banana bars last week too, we loved them, but we skipping the icing and did a thin yogurt glaze instead. Did you try freezing them? Ours only lasted a couple days!

The cinnamon roll cake looks too fun! Can’t wait to hear how it turns out. We have a birthday this week – our daughter is turning three. Her birthday dinner request was sweet potatoes and peas, when asked what else she suggested broccoli and carrots. :-) We had fajitas and hamburger noodle casserole this weekend and they were yummy!

8. Britt says

I have made this cinnamon roll cake several times. I thought I would tell you how I made it healthier and also how I made to rise and cook in WAY less time! I subbed these healthy ingredients- White wheat flour,organic. Olive oil for the butter in the dough, 3 tbsp honey, separated for the sugar in the dough. I added 1/4 c flax meal, increased the yeast to 1 tbsp and use Fleischmann’s active dry. What I changed was Step 2 in her directions. Proof your yeast in the 1/2 c water w/ 1 tbsp of the honey. While it proofs for 10 minutes, warm the milk, honey, olive oil in a small pan. ONLY WARM, not hot. :) Add warmed milk mixture to yeast. Then add the dry ingredients and egg. Follow the other steps, it will not seem like it is risen the first time, but it doesn’t matter go ahead and roll and put filling on. I used a spring form pan to put my cake in. I put a circle piece of parchment on the bottom. Once in the pan, It will rise in a warm oven in LESS than 30 minutes, NOT 60-90 minutes. ( that’s because you proofed your yeast first) Bake for 25-30 minutes ( that’s all mine took) It was amazing, I have to make 2 at a time ( family of 7). But this is a much, much healthier way to have this cake. Protein, healthy sugar, good fats, etc. Also, for the glaze, I make my own powdered sugar using a healthier organic sugar ( 1 cup) + 2 tbsp organic cornstarch. Put in high quality blender for 30-60 seconds. Perfect powdered sugar that at least has naturally occurring minerals in it,lol. Please Please try my version!! It’s so much faster and healthier! – Mom of many blessings

You mean my family wants to eat again this week? :P

I haven’t finished my menu yet this week. Tonight is stove-top shepherd’s pie, tomorrow is Asian chicken thighs, and Thursday is a turkey. Friday is typically leftover night. Not sure about Saturday yet. Maybe breakfast.

10. Kimberly says

With the cinnamon roll cake, did you bake it and then freeze it or are you planning to bake it later? Which method should I try?

11. Kimberly says

Another question about the cinnamon roll cake…Do you think that the dough might be able to be make utilizing the dough cycle of a bread machine?