Q&A: What kind of bread machine do you have?

zojirushi-bread-machine-bbcc-x20

What kind of bread machine do you have? Do you find it’s better for the machine to do it all, or just make the dough? -Stephanie

If there’s one tool in my kitchen I would never want to be without, it’s my bread machine. My aunt and uncle got me one as a wedding gift and I used it so much it finally was giving out.

Just around the time it was starting to breathe its last breath, my dad surprised me with a Zojirushi Bread Machine for Christmas. Let me tell you, this bread machine is the king of bread machines!

It’s high-tech and offers quite a few different options — including the dough cycle that I mostly. It’s also roomy, so you can make larger loaves and bigger batches of dough.

Make Your Own Homemade Bread

My favorite thing about the Zojirushi Bread Machine is that it has two kneading paddles. This creates a much better and softer texture in the dough which translates to softer, better-shaped bread and rolls.

Make Your Own Bread

I rarely ever bake bread in my machine, because I’ve found that the crust is much softer when I bake the bread in the oven. It does mean that you have to be home and remember to take the dough out of the machine and bake it when it’s done, but it’s still so much easier than making bread completely from scratch.

I can stick all the ingredients in the bread machine for Bread Machine Buttery Rolls and and hour and a half later, the dough is ready to be shaped into rolls. No mixing, no kneading and no worrying about setting a timer. Truly, in about ten minutes of total prep time, I can have a hot and fresh batch of rolls made.

My Favorite Simple & Easy Homemade Bread Recipes

Do you have a bread machine? If so, what kind & do you like it?

Comments

I’m just the opposite. I’ve used bread machines off and on but after the last one died I gave up on them for good. I have my mom’s KitchenAide mixer which is still kicking after almost 20 years. Making bread without a machine does not take that long (the rising is the largest time eater, even with a bread machine.) and there is something so therapeutic about kneading the dough and getting your hands in there. Mmmm…now I want to go whip up a batch of my honey wheat bread!

• Mary says

Try JulesGlutenFree.com. She has multiple gluten free recipes. She also sells a gluten free flour that is great along with mixes for bread, cookies etc. The flour can be substituted in any recipe that uses regular flour. You can also read how she came about developing the flour.

2. Yvette Carpenter says

I have an older one (cant remember the model or maker right now) that I hardly use. (It was given to me) But now my Aunt wants to use it but we need to find Gluten Free recipes and I haven’t had much luck. I do know the main difference is that with gluten free it only needs to raise once. Do you know of any or maybe websites that I might try?
    Thanks
    Yvette

• Julie H says

The hardest part with making GF breads is trying to get it fluffy without an overwhelming yeasty taste, so getting it perfectly like GF bread is extremely difficult. The closest you will find in this area would be Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures. Lynn is the most meticulous GF baker, in my opinion, when it comes to taste as well as ingredients that won’t cost you a fortune… http://www.lynnskitchenadventures.com/

Bread is a tough

3. Emily says

I have the same bread maker, and I LOVE it. I could not live without it. I use it for dough (pizza, dinner rolls, hamburger rolls, cinnamon swirl bread dough, etc.) and also for baking bread. I ALWAYS use King Arthur Flour with it, and it makes the most heavenly, well, everything! I use the 1.5 lb recipe that came in the instruction booklet for bread, the pizza dough recipe that came with it for pizza (with King Arthur Flour pizza dough flavoring added which is cheese and other yummy stuff), the KAF white dinner roll recipe, KAF PJ’s Cinnamon swirl bread, KAF Beautiful Burger Buns, KAF Cinnamon Buns…well, basically anything from KAF. Which is also where I got “Zoey” from (as I call her). I can’t say enough good things about this bread maker, and paired with KAF products and recipes, you will be the talk of the neighborhood!

4. Julie H says

The 2 paddle Zoji is definitely the best machine and is the one we have. The 2 paddle Panasonic was ranked second best in all review sites when I was shopping for one, but I was concerned about the quality of the non-stick surface. Zoji seemed to have a more solid pan and non-stick surface that will last.

Love mine too! Have you ever made meatloaf in it? It’s the best (recipe can be found in recipe book that comes with machine). You can also make an awesome Mexican meatloaf in it.

6. Tara says

I have THREE old, old,old West Bend Traditional loaf bread makers. One we received as a gift early in our marriage more than 20 years ago. The other two were thrift store finds. They are THE BEST! Similar style to the one in described in this blog with two little dough paddles in a “traditional” loaf pan. I didn’t know what I would ever do if these little workhorses go ca-put, but now I am happy to see there is a possible replacement for mine if the need arises!

7. Penny T. says

This post has inspired me to dust off my old bread machine and give it another shot. When I do eat bread, I only eat whole grain bread (and usually sprouted which I have no idea how to make myself) so I will have to experiment with flours such as a mix of maybe whole wheat and spelt flour or maybe spelt flour and almond flour. I am going to experiment with your sister’s bread recipe because it uses coconut oil (normally we eat no “oil” in my house) and has no dairy in it. Thanks for the post. This will be on my to-do list for next week.

8. Becky G says

Krystal, you mentioned that you grind your own wheat flour. Do you buy your wheat local or from the internet? If you get it on the internet where do you get it at? I would like to switch over to grinding my own, but we are on a budget & I would like to find a place that is reasonable. Thanks so much :)

9. Elizabeth Sterling says

My bread machine is a talking Pillsbury Bread Machine from back when bread machines were first introduced. It is still going strong and is one of my favorite appliances after my Kitchenaid mixer. I actually won it for selling the most toys for a toy party.