12 Months to a Healthier You: Week 2 Check-In

12-Months-to-a-Healthier-You

Are you joining us for the 12 Months to a Healthier You Challenge? If so, it’s Friday and guess what that means? It’s time for our weekly check-in to post our progress.

January’s Challenge:

We’re focusing on developing the habit of exercising more in January. I encourage you to set a simple and doable goal for exercise and to stick with it.

If you haven’t set your January Exercise Goal yet, be sure to do so and then leave a comment on this post telling us what your goal is. New to this challenge? Read more details on the plan for this year here.

12 Months to a Healthier You

My Exercise Goal for January

My goal for January is to consistently exercise at least 5 times per week. I plan to follow the P90X workout schedule except for the days when I’m traveling/out of town. On those days, I plan to stick with cardio/running.

This Week’s Progress:

It’s Week 2 of P90X and I’m still loving it. Although I have to admit that I was happy when my rest day rolled around on the schedule. But then I missed exercising and was excited to get back to it the next day.

I’m already seeing more muscle definition and toning… and I’ve only been at this for a 10 days. So that’s truly encouraging! Plus, I really can tell a difference in my energy levels! Yay!

How Are YOU Doing?

Leave a comment telling us how you did on your exercise goals this past week. If you’re blogging about this challenge, leave the direct link to your blog post about the challenge below.

Are you on social media? You can also share your progress on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter by using hashtag #12MonthstoaHealthierYou.

Comments

1. Sheila says

I’m just getting back to exercising. My goal for the first 2 weeks was to exercise 2x each week, but it didn’t happen. I’m getting over a nasty virus, I’m got much better the last two days, so I’ll be ready to do it this week. I’m going to do it!

2. Maria says

I did mine! Sometimes this week I did my video at 7-8pm, and other days I got up early at 5am and got it in before the rest of the family woke up. I prefer the 5am, so I need to work on that.

Looking ahead, my husband and I talked about how we used to have a salad every day and then stopped. I want to pick that up again during next month’s challenge, though I was concerned we’d get bored with it. I told my husband I’d like to try dried cranberries and other things for variety, but I always thought he would think that was too…..girlie…..or froo-froo……but he said I was wrong! If I put the effort into making more salads with variety, he’d be willing to eat them!

• Katherine says

You can easily turn a salad into a full “meal” by including a variety of toppings – you can add protein from garbanzo beans, hard boiled egg, and left over chicken, pork, or steak. I like adding dried cranberries and nuts to my salads – sometimes fresh apples, blue cheese, avocado, etc… And make sure to use your own dressing! Store-bought dressings are terrible for you, even low-fat ones. I like to mix olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and mustard :)

3. Katherine says

My goal was to visit the gym at least 5 days a week. However, Northern New York was hit with some crazy snow, and travel bans, terrible roads, etc, prevented me from getting there. My husband and I live in a one bedroom apartment, so working out at home is near impossible. Every time I stretch out, I hit my feet on a piece of furniture! It’s warmed up today, and the roads are clearing, so I’ll be heading out soon.

I joined Planet Fitness at $10/month – a great price that isn’t going to break the bank. Often, we hear budget and frugal websites state “Loose the Gym Membership” as a way to save money. But when I’m only spending $10/month, and I don’t have the space to work out at home, a gym membership is really the only way to stay in shape. I know, walking is free – but what about in the winter when walking is a safety hazard? I told myself that I would knock $10 from my spending in order to purchase the gym membership. Which has been pretty easy – I’ve been making my lunch for work the night before so I don’t have to purchase anything during my lunch break. That, in of itself, has saved me more than $10.

4. Alison DeMarco says

I started the training plan for my half marathon on Monday, and it is going well. I was able to join a gym in my area, which makes it a lot easier to go running because I don’t have to go out in the cold. :)

5. Sheila says

I started out slow this week but managed to end the week stronger than expected. with 3 gym workouts and have gotten time on treadmill all but 2 days. Looking forward to week 3

6. Tonya says

I’m doing well with getting cardio in for 30-40 minutes, 4 times a week. I was only able to hit my weight lifting once this week though. Need to do better with that in the coming week.

7. Amy says

I want to join this challenge but am afraid to set a goal! I have six children, the youngest of whom is 4 months old and healthy, but not sleeping through the night. I was just diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, and because of that should have the goal of stretching daily and exercising at least 6 days a week to help my back to remain flexible and in a straight position. I love to exercise but find it very difficult to fit it in. So, here’s my goal: stretch daily, ride exercise bike 2 times a week, XC ski once a week, ab workout once a week, cardio exercise video 2 times a week. My physical therapist told me on Wednesday that I could look at this nasty disease as a gift to help me to do the things that I should be doing anyway, and she is absolutely right. Thanks for the great challenge, Crystal!

8. VickiD says

I didn’t start yet, but I have worked 3 of my 4 days of working out, into my schedule! I start a 3 day a week Boot Camp, on Tues! My neighbor has classes and she is letting me come for Free!! I weighed and measured with her this morning….it wasn’t as bad a I thought!
    I plan on doing yoga with my 14 year old once or twice a week. She is 14 and is working on flexibility for cheerleading…we will be scheduling it around her basketball cheer schedule.
    Crystal, I want to thank you! I hesitated posting, because I didn’t do any actual workout, but then I remembered what my “word for the year” is: PROGRESS! Progress is exactly what I’m making!
    Also, I launched a new business too! Voice by Vicki!! I have 30 years of experience, I’m home all day, care taking for my 86 year old, wheelchair bound father, so I NEED to do something other than be a caretaker, wife of 20 years and counting, and mom of two girls , one a freshman in college, one a freshman on high school. My business is something all my own! My first student, started last Thursday!
    Thank you for being genuine and real!
    Blessing,
    Vicki D

9. Gus says

I’m in! A little late but just found this web page today.
    My goal for January is to take 2 Zumba classes every week, cardio and lifting twice a week.

The goal was to lose weight and instead of focusing on pounds (the end goal), I tried to focus on an actionable behavior or step that would help get me there. For me, that was inputting everything I ate into myfitnesspal. I just focused on being diligent about that and in turn I’ve been more mindful about what I’m eating and lo and behold, I weighed myself on Friday and am seeing a difference!

I’m still trying to figure out what to do exactly for my workouts, but I have set a goal to move 3x a week for at least 20 minutes. Baby steps for me. I did a cardio workout with my 6yo and walked 1 mile with my 4yo on the Strider Bike, and walked at the lake with my sister for over 3 miles. That is definitely a record for me.

I emailed my 3 siblings to see if they want to have a regular walking time, so that if at least one of them can meet me each week, I am set for 3 weeks. :p My 3 sibs and their family, and our family eat dinner at our parents’ house each week (where I really need to work on self-control since my dad is quite the chef, and my parents used to own a restaurant), so I figure we can all do a family walk before dinner each week, that will be some accountability for me too.

I did no exercising this week!! :(
    I was very sick and got over it by Monday but the week was spent trying to get back into my rythym plus preparing for a 2-day retreat which I was apart of the set-up crew for 36hrs. I plan on starting tomorrow with working out 5 days a week. I did make healthy choices though. I’m not going to beat myself up though. I was sick for a week and you can’t help that.
    Better luck this week! :)

I’ve never participated in any kind of challenge like this before but I think it’s a fantastic idea! Thanks so much for putting this together and inspiring everyone to get fit! You are pretty fantastic! =)

I am so excited to join this challenge! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease, which explains my 30 pound weight gain over the last few years. Now that I know how I need to eat, I am ready to start a fitness program! I’ve got one week of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution under my belt and am loving it!

15. Rachael says

My goal was to exercise for 20 min. 3 times per week. I was only able to get in two sessions, but both were longer than 20 min. I have been sick along with my husband and 2/3 of my kids so things were a little out of sorts around here last week. Hopefully with everyone being back at work and school this week things will go better.

I really started working on my own health and fitness in October. I ordered Plexus Slim and their Accelerator, and in just a couple of months I had lost over 25 pounds! I had been holding onto a lot of weight from my 3rd baby, and I was ready to get rid of that and get some more energy! I began working out pretty hard at our local YMCA, and I do workout vids at home when we’re snowed in. I am way more purposeful with my eating habits also! My life has new meaning! I go after each day with gusto now, thank the Lord, and almost every area of my life has improved from my relationship with my kids and hubby, to reading my Bible more, to keeping up with the day to day busy-ness of homeschooling and home making…all of it! Self control in one area almost always branches out into all areas of our life! Please visit and like my facebook page if you get a chance! Thank you I truly appreciate the encouragement! https://www.facebook.com/myslimlife