Yesterday’s Aldi Shopping Trip

I also stopped at Aldi yesterday and got a few good deals. I was especially excited about the strawberries and kiwi!

Aldi Shopping Trip

2 bags frozen broccoli — $1.09 each
2 bags frozen peas — $0.95 each
4 cartons strawberries — $0.99 each
1 carton of 7 kiwi — $0.99
7.53 pounds bananas at $0.29/lb. — $1.89

Total with tax: $11.72

Comments

1. Clydette says

Hi. I work for Aldi. Remember to look for red signs in the Special Buy section of the store, and in the cooler multideck area. The signs mean item is discounted.

2. Meredith says

Three words: I. Miss. Aldi. :(
    A little while ago I found myself contemplating … if I drove out to Manhattan to see friends, and stocked up on non perishables/freezeables at Aldi, would it be enough of a savings to justify the gas for the trip? >.< LOL

• Dawn Shaver says

I miss an Aldi near me too. :( It was the only grocery store I could go to when my boys were small that I could get in and out of relatively easy. Bonus that I saved money while doing it.

I am working on a blog post recipe that uses chickpeas. I have been struggling to find them. Anyone have any suggestions of what grocery stores and maybe where in that store I can find them? The cashiers look at me like I am asking for something in greek!

You can buy them in bulk from places like Amazon or Azure Standard. Or, you can look for garbanzo beans at the store — these are cooked and canned chickpeas.

I can almost always find dried chickpeas in the dried beans section of the grocery store. I’ve never had a problem, and I’ve seen them at several stores. They’re right next to the split peas, navy beans, etc.

Are you looking for canned or dry?

We have both (as Crystal said, under garbanzo beans for the canned) either in with the regular canned beans at our regular grocery or dry in bags with the regular dried beans, usually near the rice or in an ethnic section of the store.

Both of our run-of-the-mill grocery stores have both types , so hopefully you won’t have too hard of a time finding them!

Lea

Thanks for the information. I am looking for canned and I didn’t realize garbanzo beans were the same thing. This will make it much easier!

• Sandy says

I find dried chickpeas in the same section as other dried beans. I don’t know where you live but, I live in the Milwaukee, WI area and they have them at Wooodman’s.

I am in Minneapolis. We have CUB and Rainbow. Now that I know canned they are called Garbanzo, I think I can find them! Thanks for the reply. I love Woodmans, wish we had them here.

I went to Aldi’s yesterday too but ours didn’t have those deals, bummer. I did get mangos for $.39 a piece and bananas for $.44 lb among other things. I always pick up a few tubes of ground turkey for $1.69 lb to stretch the ground beef. I love Aldi’s I am always shocked at how little I spend!

5. Sarah says

Guess the Aldi sales prices are not nation wide. Our sale on .99/lb strawberries were last week. And they were some delicious strawberries, too! Is your banana price at Aldi always .29/lb? Ours is .44/lb….I wish ours were that cheap all the time!

6. Anne-Marie says

Crystal, I began shopping at Aldi because of an article you ran on your blog a while back. While my family has been disappointed with a few of the items, overall I find most of the merch to be top quality and we’ve even found a few new favorites (their oven roasted almonds are incredible!) Best of all, we’ve saved a ton of money. Thank you!

• Becky says

I agree on the oven roasted almonds. Delicious. I have actually retried some items we originally didn’t like and were happy to find they had been improved. I do the bulk of my shopping at Aldi then finish up at Hy-Vee. We have a tight food budget and I couldn’t do it without Aldi. Plus the staff at our store are the friendliest workers I have ever encountered.

7. Susan says

I got the bananas! Woo Hoo I have a Yonanas machine and I will just freeze the ripe bananas in plastic wrap and use them to make “ice cream” in my yonanas machine. My girls love it.

• Jen says

There is also an Aldi’s phone APP that gives you the current week sales and next week sales along with updated slashed prices. I use these to plan what I’m adding to my list. Not everything may be at your location, but you can generally tell if you’ll have a sale on Italian foods, Mexican foods, German foods, snack foods, ect.

• Terri says

Love Aldi! FYI – My Bro-in-law works for a trucking company in the St. Louis area and he informed me that Aldi has the same produce as the higher end grocery stores in this area. It all comes from the same place – the packaging is just different…!

8. Amy says

I love Aldi! My Aldi always has bananas at $.29 a pound and milk is always $1.79 a gallon!!! Yesterday I got the strawberries for $.59 a carton and they are delicious!

9. Sandy says

I just got back from an Aldi’s trip and my Aldi’s have strawberries, and blackberries on sale this week for .99. I also bought a couple of the 4-packs of baby lettuce for $1.99. 6-packs of kiwis were $1.69 and banans were .44/lb.

10. Jen says

I went to Aldi yesterday in the Syracuse NY area.
    Bananas were 44 cents a pound. And strawberries were 1.99 a container.
    Interesting the prices are different.

I picked up some peppers for 1.49 for a container with 3 of them. And some zucchini for 99 cents for 4 of them (I think 20 ounces). And some limes for 99 cents for a bag of six (I love lemons or limes in my water).

What do you think of Aldi fruit? I find a lot of it is made in Mexico.

I love Aldi, with 12 children, it’s been a blessing on our grocery bill. We live in Kansas, the milk was about $3 a gallon, in Jan. it changed to $1.99, such a great deal!

11. Jen says

Wow! The strawberries at my Aldi were $1.49 this week. Not bad, but not as good a deal as you got. And I only got a package of 3 kiwi for 99 cents. The bananas at my Aldi are always ridiculously green. I was short on time and didn’t have time to make another stop to get bananas I could actually eat anytime in the near future, so I ended up paying way more than I should have for organic bananas, only because those ones were ripe enough to eat.

12. Laurie says

I live in the medwest and our strawberries are .99/lb,bananas .29/lb.mamgo’s .39/piece and kiwis .99 for 6. I could walk to my Aldi’s. They only thing I do not like at Aldis is their fish. It smealls so fishy to me. I also bought a steam floor mop about a month ago and used it twice and now it does not work. Big bummer. I will be taking this back for a refund. Otherwise I love the store. My price matching is done at Wal-Mart.