Reader Tip: Save More with Facebook Co-Op Groups

Meg emailed in the following tip:

I am always looking for ways to pay less than retail price for the items I buy every day. So when I heard about co-op groups on Facebook, I was intrigued — and they turned out to be one of the best things I’ve ever done to save money.

A Co-Op (or Co-operative) negotiates a wholesale price on an item by having it’s members combine their individual orders into one large order. For example, if I were to buy designer lipstick from a store, I might have to pay $15 per tube. However, the stores themselves only pay $3 per tube. In a co-op, because there are 50 of us buying lipstick, we are able to pool our money together and buy an entire case – and we get the price that the stores would pay. Even after paying shipping from the “host” (the person that places the wholesale order) to my home, I’m still seeing savings of 15% to even 80%!

I have had great luck with buying cosmetics, children’s toys, clothing, organic body products, craft supplies, clothing, and even household items through co-op groups.

Most groups on Facebook are “closed” groups, so just ask to join!

Comments

1. Reagan says

I am part of a Facebook produce co-op for the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We pay $20 every two weeks and get on average about $40 +/- worth of veggies and produce. It has saved my budget tremendously!

• Melissa says

Hi Reagan. Could you share with me the group URL?
      I’m on the gulf coast too and I’m interested in this group
      Thanks!

2. Becky says

no I haven’t heard of co-op groups. I do belong to a free / trade group as well as a couple local yardsale groups

3. Lyndsay Withey says

There is at least one cloth diaper co op on facebook. A few of my friends did that and said it was so much cheaper buying them anywhere else. Even used! She saved money and got brand new items

I have just joined 2 co-op or ‘group buy’ groups, both craft related (I own my own craft business) and I’ve been really excited to see what kind of prices the buyers are able to negotiate for us!
    I can’t help you too much on how to find the groups. I found one group through a local crafting group. My recommendation is to ask friends and look into local ‘swap and shop’ (where I found a lead to the other). If I find more information on any I’ll be sure to share it here!

Alright, best way a friend of mine recommended to find these groups. Type in the type of buy group you’re searching for, say ‘diaper’ or ‘makeup’. Then click the ‘group’ search filter. Then from there it’s pretty easy to tell which ones are group buys. I tried this with ‘diaper’ and came up with good results. Hope this helps.

5. Heather says

Great idea if you can figure out how to find/join. I am in some local buy/sell/trade groups too. They are nice because you can also post for items you need. The co-op I am having trouble finding.

6. Janelle says

A lot of them are cloth diaper co-ops but also have a lot of other things. So you could search “diaper co-op” or “mom’s co-op” on Facebook and some should come up.

7. nikki says

i would love more information on co ops they sound interesting. Are there specific ones you use or recommend?

thanks

I have this on my to do list for the month of April- to find a co-op for gardening! I never thought about a co-op for other products! Thanks for the idea!!

For those interested in sewing (fabric and related items….patterns, notions)
    I have been a member for probably 8 years and the people who run it have always been upfront and ethical. Some times they order right from the manufacturer, so are able to get specific colors dyed for them etc. Not a perfect solution since you cant feel or see in person (can see online) or return for the most part. US only I believe.