Pinterest Experiment: Baked Oven Fries (oh-so-time-consuming and oh-so-good!)

I find a lot of great ideas on Pinterest… but pinning something doesn’t do anything unless I actually, you know, try the idea. So I thought it’d be fun to challenge myself to do at least one Pinterest experiment every week — and blog my results.

I can’t promise that I’ll always have a Pinterest Experiment post up each week, because you know how I sometimes get distracted or on blog tangents. :) But I’m at least going to try. By the way, you can follow my Pinterest account here, if you’re interested.

I found this recipe for Baked Oven Fries on Pinterest. And since I’d gotten a great deal on potatoes recently, I had to try it.

The actual recipe was a little bit more time-consuming than I was envisioning. {I don’t know why I always picture whipping up things like this in less than 10 minutes.}

Truthfully, when I was making these, I was thinking to myself, “Why did I want to try this recipe??”

And without even finishing the recipe or tasting these fries, I decided I was not going to be making this recipe again. It’s just way too many steps for a cook like me who prefers 5-minute recipes whenever possible.

But I persevered and I’m so glad I did. Because we loved the finished product. Jesse was thoroughly impressed that I’d made French Fries from scratch (sadly, yes, I think this was a first for me!) and he proclaimed them very, very good.

So now, I’m kind of torn on my verdict. I mean, I really was hoping that they weren’t very good. But now that I know that they are, I’m not so sure that I’m going to say I’ll never made them again.

However, if any of you have an easier homemade French Fries recipe that is equally amazing that you want to send my way, I will love you for it.

Want to see what ideas I’m thinking of trying next? Check out my Recipes I Want to Try board and my Do It Yourself board for things I’m considering trying next.

Have you tried any ideas or recipes you’ve found on Pinterest this week? If so, how did they turn out for you?

Comments

1. dawn says

We love oven taters! I wash and cut the potatoes up – fries, wedges, chunks, however you like. I put them in a bowl with some olive oil and any seasoning we want, put a lid on the bowl and shake them to coat. dump taters on a cookie sheet. bake and/or broil to desired doneness, stirring/flipping occasionally for even cooking. We like them well done.

2. Margery H. says

Yes, I agree with many other commenters. I make these all the time, but I just scrub and don’t peel. I also do not soak. My kids actually prefer these to other fries b/c they are not so greasy! It takes about 10 minutes of prep time.

3. Patty says

I have made a ton of homemade fries. There are only 3 of us so I don’t need to do a lot of cutting. However, after doing many versions I made this version last week and it was one of the best and I’ll do it again. I didn’t find it all that harder, but was doing other cooking while they soaked and steamed. Cutting up potatoes happens a couple of times a week for about 5 years (my son is 7 and has only had frozen fries a couple of times) so I probably don’t notice the time it takes. I do think the soaking and aluminum foil made a difference for the crispy on the outside factor. My son keeps asking for them so they will be a regular item – however I think any homemade french fry is pretty good!!!

It sounds close to just pan frying a potato other than a little less oil though I’m not 100% why you need to do all the soaking. I’m guessing because it is done in the oven and not in a pan? They sound good but I think I’ll just stick with slicing up potato rounds and tossing them in a pan to fry.
    What you really need for a project like that though is like what they have at Penn Station to fresh cut the fries. I bet that alone would cut down on prep time. Also, I wonder what would canning do to it. Be nice if you could just pop open a lid, drain off the liquid, lay it out on your oiled/salted/peppered sheet and cook.
    This is one blog I go over to about things like canning. I highly suggest her if you aren’t a reader already.

5. Julie Calvert says

I made homemade fries last night. I agree with you all(no need to peel). I wash, cut bad spots, cut into chunks, place in a bag, toss with oil, salt, pepper, little red pepper, and bake on greased baking sheet. My family really likes them this way. It is a lot better than making fried “tators.”

6. Kim M says

If your family doesnt like the skins on, there are these “veggie peeler” gloves you can wear that you just roll the potato around in your gloved hand and it peels it like that. Then of course you could use the french fry cutter too :-) but homemade french fries are SOOOOOOO worth making!!!

7. Dita says

These are one of my family’s favorite dishes for the weekend and we also do sweet potato fries! I peel and cut the potatoes the night before, say Friday night and cover in a bowl with cold water and put in fridge. This prevents the potatoes from getting brown spots. I peel them because scrubbing the potatoes takes just as long in my opinion and I feel I can’t quite get them clean enough…just me.

Toss the potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper and add a dash of cayenne seasoning if you want a kick. preheat oven to 475 and I put parchment paper down on the cookie sheets (get at the dollar store) and bake for 30-45 minutes (depending on your oven), turn them once and they are perfect every time! For sweet potatoes we add a few teaspoons of ground cinnamon (so good for you) and if you want a little more sweetness add a few tablespoons of maple syrup and one tablespoon of canola or coconut oil. YUM and so healthy. My three year old daughter loves these!

8. Nancy Sue says

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! For hanging in there and finishing the recipe and sharing it with us. We WILL try this. Being a gluten-free family, organic and true gluten-free french fries are extremely expensive, and just yesterday I was going to start to look for recipes. FOUND IT! Whoo hoo! You really helped out our family and saved me oodles of time in my recipe search! Again,, repeated thank yous to you!

I make baked oven fries fairly regularly but not like this. I just peel and cut the potatoes, toss with oil and salt and bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes on each side. Sometimes for a change I will sprinkle the finished fries with Italian Seasoning. It may sounds strange, but it tastes good!

10. Kate says

Why did you peel them?
    I do oven fries all the time – ok not daily but weekly. They are fast, easy and get better the longer you leave them in the oven.

11. Kelly says

In my experience, whenever I try a Cook’s Illustrated recipe, it’s always amazing…and a huge pain :) If I really want the absolute best blueberry muffins, or green beans, or whatever, I will force myself to do all the steps, and it’s always great. But usually I take one of their “extra” steps and ditch the rest, leaving me with an almost-as-good-but-less-fussy version of the recipe. So here, I might do the soaking but skip the foil-topped steaming part, for example.

Also, if yo used that steak knife for the job, that must have been awful :( If you have an old chef’s knife or paring knife but it’s too dull, you might be able to find a grocery store that will sharpen it for free. One of the “fancy” grocery stores in our town will do it at the meat counter. It’s probably not a professional job, but it was free, and it helped a lot!

12. Gerry says

We like them this way, too … also tried parboiling them for a few minutes before baking. But it’s too time-consuming for a weeknight.

The next best thing we like is to cut the potatoes crinkle-style, a couple of days ahead, and leave them to soak for two days in the fridge. Then when you’re ready to cook, drain, toss with oil and bake 425-450. It’s not “as” good, but it gives a nice, yellow fry instead of that “baked fry” color/texture.

• Amy says

I use a Pampered Chef crinkle cutter (I think it’s called a Garnisher) and it takes me only a couple minutes to cut all my potatoes. I cut each potato in half the long way with the cutter, and then slice each half into strips. If one seems too fat, I slice it in half again the long way until it is the right size- trying to keep things as uniform for even cooking as I can. The tool is easy to handle, cuts the hard potatoes easily and leaves a crinkle edge to grab all the ketchup with. I keep the skins on, too. I put them on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and coat with olive oil and whatever seasonings I want. Then I bake them for roughly a half hour at 475, stirring every 10 minutes or so. They turn out delicious and don’t take hardly any time at all!

13. Vicky says

Soaking and subseuuently drying is what helps the potatoes get extra crispy in the oven as it helps release some of the start in the potato. I don’t peel, but I do wedge, so for 10-15 min then oil and bake uncovered for 20-30 min. turning once. None of that cover, uncover stuff.

14. Hanna Copeland says

I use an apple slicer to slice my potatoes. Then soak them in warm water. Shake in a bag with oil and sea salt and garlic. Then put in the oven at 450 for 30 to 40 minutes.

15. Sarah says

Just made my own version last night – we have these weekly and my husband and daughter love them to pieces.

Russet potatoes (1 per person)
    Oil (preferably not Olive, since that doesn’t do well at high temps)
    Salt & Pepper
    Chili Powder
    Paprika
    Granulated Garlic (Powdered would be great too)

Scrub potatoes clean and slice into smallish sticks, coat with oil and season using above spices to your liking. Bake in a 425 oven for about 30 minutes. Sorry, my recipes are never precise. Haha. Adding a touch of chili powder is what I think really makes these extra yummy!

I don’t see the need to peel or soak them. They come out so yummy every time!

16. Linda says

As they said, leave the skins on. And if cutting them was so time consuming buy a $10 french fry cutter and it is quick and easy. I now make my own fries ALL the time.

17. abby says

I’m sure everyone else has said it, but leave the skins. Healthier and MUCH faster. This is one of our favorite treats. Also try seasoned salt or cayenne if you like them a bit spicy.

18. Terie says

My recipe is very easy and quick. Just wash the potatoes thoroughly, slice into 8ths, leave the skin on for nutrients. Put in a bowl and drizzle olive oil, salt, pepper, or whatever other spices you want. Place single-layer on greased baking sheet. I bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, turning over once. They are wonderful!!

19. JuliB says

I love olive oil as much as the next person, but am concerned in using it with this recipe:

“When heated, olive oil is the most stable fat, which means it stands up well to high frying temperatures. Its high smoke point (410ºF or 210ºC) is well above the ideal temperature for frying food (356ºF or 180ºC). The digestibility of olive oil is not affected when it is heated, even when it is re-used several times for frying”

From http://www.internationaloliveoil.org/

20. Jenny says

Crystal, The Pioneer Woman has the best potato wedge recipe that I have ever eaten. Not technically “french Fries” but I make them with anything I would usually make french fries for. She only scrubs the potatoes, and cuts them in eight wedges each potato, so it doesn’t take much time. She also cooks them on a seemingly high heat, but they always turn out wonderful!! Look it up on her site, and try it out. It’s good, I promise!

I’m sure lots of people have already suggested it, but I never peel my potatoes for oven fries. The kids don’t seem to mind at all. I always peel for sweet potato fries though. :-)