Early to Rise Challenge: Begin Your Day With Prayer

Welcome to the Early to Rise Challenge! Throughout the month of March, I’m challenging myself and my readers to make the most of their mornings. So every week day morning at 9 a.m. EST, I’m posting a short Early to Rise post. I’ll share a few of my thoughts on the day’s passage from Early to Rise, tell you what time I got up that morning, and encourage you to leave a comment to tell us what time you got up and how you’re doing on the challenge.

Begin Your Day With Prayer

One of my favorite parts of adopting an Early to Rise lifestyle is that I begin my day with quiet time. This is time when I read my Bible (I’m currently reading through the Bible, so I read a few chapters every day), write in my Gratitude Journal, and pray. It’s a time when I fill up my soul to give me energy and encouragement for the day.

This time is so important for the success of my day. It lays a foundation for my entire day — and on the days when I get up late and don’t get to spend that quality time reading the Bible and praying, I miss it so much. Plus, my whole day just feels rushed and “off”.

Can I encourage you to take time every morning to be quiet? To fill your soul up? To reflect on your blessings? If you’re a Christian, I especially encourage you to start your day with prayer and reading God’s Word — even if it’s just a few verses. It’s the best way to begin a successful day!

What Time Did You Get Up This Morning?

My husband had to work until 9 p.m. last night, so I stayed up until 10 p.m. and skipped my crazy-early morning wake-up time. It cracked me up how late 10 p.m. felt like last night — and how quickly we can retrain our perspective!

What time did you get up? Leave a comment and let us know!

Join in the Chatter!

Want to blog about this challenge? If you’re blogging through this challenge with me, be sure to leave your link to your direct post for today below. Plus, if you’d like to post your daily posts to the Early to Rise Group Board on my Pinterest page, just shoot me an email (moneysavingmom @ gmail dot com) and I’ll invite you.

Want to follow along on Twitter or Instagram? Each week day morning on my Facebook Page, my Twitter account, and my Instagram account, I’ll be posting a picture of my alarm clock as public accountability. I’d love to have you do the same or join in the discussion on Twitter and Instagram. Just follow hashtag #EarlytoRise to see what others are tweeting and Instagramming about this challenge!

Other posts in the Early to Rise Challenge series

1. The 30-Day Early to Rise Challenge Begins on Friday (grab your ebook for just $4.99!)
  2. Early to Rise Challenge: Day 1 (Your Mindset Matters)
  3. Early to Rise Challenge: Wake Up With a Plan for Your Day
  4. Early to Rise Challenge: It's Not Always Easy (and am I the only one who thinks drinking coffee black is crazy??)
  5. 15 Things You Can Do Each Morning to Make Your Day More Successful
  6. Early to Rise Challenge: Adjust Your Attitude
  7. 11 Things to Do Tonight to Set You Up for Success Tomorrow
  8. Early to Rise Challenge: Change Your Life By Taking One Small Step at a Time
  9. Early to Rise Challenge: Find the Artist in You
  10. Early to Rise Challenge: "It's Your World, So Change It"
  11. Early to Rise Challenge: Swim Upstream
  12. Early to Rise Challenge: Focus on Other People
  13. 5 Steps to Start Your Day With a Better Attitude
  14. Early to Rise Challenge: Find What Motivates You
  15. Early to Rise Challenge: The Halfway Mark!
  16. Early to Rise Challenge: Choose Who You Will Be Today
  17. Free printable: 17 Ways to Set Your Morning Up for Success
  18. Early to Rise Challenge: Don't Live Today on Accident
  19. Early to Rise Challenge: Be Quiet
  20. Early to Rise Challenge: Face Your Day With a Smile
  21. Early to Rise Challenge: Find an Accountability Partner
  22. Early to Rise: Share Your Success (and why I have a new crazy-early wake-up time!)
  23. 11 Things You Can Do Tonight to Set You Up for Success Tomorrow (free printable)
  24. Early to Rise Challenge: You're Not Alone
  25. 5 Ways to Keep Your Sanity with a Newborn
  26. Early to Rise Challenge: Begin Your Day With Prayer
  27. Early to Rise Challenge: Don't Settle for Average!

Comments

1. Shannon says

Throughout this challenge, I have had a few ‘off’ days. Filling up my soul with prayer and worship has been so rewarding, not only for myself but for my family and I think for God. I notice that the days I have not woken up early for prayer, there is more room for the soul to get filled up with things other than love, gratitude and purpose. So I prefer to fill up myself and leave little room for those ‘other’ things ;)

Crystal, I’m so with you on this. The success or failure of my whole day depends on my morning quiet time with God. If I pray about my day, things seem to go right a whole lot more often, and even if they don’t go right, I’m on a more even keel.

Also, I deal with a lot of tough situations both in my corporate job and in my volunteer work at church, and some days I’d honestly rather hide than face those situations. On days like that, feeding my soul and spirit with the Word feels like it is literally keeping me alive.

Thanks for the great post.

I have a friend of mine with 6 kids. She is always so patient and soft spoken. I asked her how she does it. She just smiled at me and said I take the time each morning to fill myself up with reading my Bible and prayer. Then once I am filled I can give to others.

I have always remembered this talk. I have found it to be so true in my own life. When I take a little time to be quiet each day. My day may not go as planned but my attitude about the things that go wrong is so much better.

I enjoyed today’s challenge. This has been a crazy week with our ministry. We have had two teams in this week working with us so we have been exhausted each night and it has been hard to get up early in the mornings.
    What a refreshing challenge.

I have been lazy about my devotional journal. I do pray in the shower every morning. It’s kind of a silly place to pray, but it’s always quiet, and I’m alone. :)

I woke up at 7 this morning. We are on Spring break, so my family is sleeping in.

Glad to see you slept in today to Crystal! lol even if it was 5 am!

Kate

6. Kimber says

Posts like this are the reason why you’re my very favorite blogger. Thank you for the important reminder.

7. Melissa says

Up at 5:13am. Quiet time is very important. I feel off too when I fill my day up too much.

8. Melodie says

Got out of bed 15 min late this morning at 6:15, so that unfortunately cut into my quiet/devotion time. I was thinking on the way to work how much better it is when I can enjoy that full amount of time with the Lord! It’s so refreshing and uplifting :-)

9. jenn says

My wake up time during the week (unless working days) is 7 so I can get my son to the school bus. I worked 3-1130 last night and went to bed after midnight. I got him to the bus, started laundry and then took a 2 hour nap this morning. Off to work again at 3pm. This weekend though is my 0430 wake up…work weekend package as well. I dread weekends only because of the wakeup time.

didn’t really know what this day would bring with talking with Jesus. We have been waiting for healing for one of our dear friends and I have been praying this morning for him and his family. He received full healing this morning and is now worshiping at the feet of Jesus. Time spent this morning talking to Christ and asking for healing for our friend. Healing was given. Thank you Jesus.
    So thankful for the relationship with Christ to be able to share my heart joys, fears and request with Him on a constant basis.
    As Matt would end every recent post. God is GOOD! I would reply. All the Time.

Up at 6:15 this morning.

I am right there with you with starting the day with prayer. Getting to spend some quiet time with Jesus is one of my biggest incentives for getting up early. :)

6:14.

Totally needed this reminder. I have officially progressed from “waddling” to “lumbering,” and it hasn’t been the most joyful feeling. Prayer is good – I need to get back to it. But I think I’m going to have to get up earlier – I’m moving too slowly to finish getting dressed much before the kids wake up now.

Crystal, I always appreciate how you are not ashamed to talk about your walk with the Lord on your blog! Yes, my days are just off too when I don’t spend the time I really want with the Lord first thing.

I haven’t been able to read much on this series, but it is something I need. Although I’m a “night owl”, I love getting up in the mornings, getting things done, and seeing the earth wake up; but I stay up so late much of the time that I’m too tired to get up. You are encouraging me. Thank you!