Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

Valentine’s Day is an all-day celebration at our house! My children spend hours making table and wall decorations, writing homemade cards, and dreaming up red-and-pink-themed menus (not all of which are actually usable/edible!).

We like to start the day off with a special breakfast – and these hearty, filling pancakes are always a hit! They are fairly simple to make, but the toasted pecans add that “special” factor. You could even make them heart-shaped if you’re feeling extra ambitious! Serve them with a side of red berries to incorporate the Valentine’s color scheme.

The recipe is adapted from my mother-in-law, and is one my husband especially enjoys. These pancakes are a little bit healthier and a whole lot heartier than traditional pancakes, making them especially yummy during the cold winter months.

For my pancake-loving family, nothing says “I love you” like waking up to a big plate of Oatmeal Pecan Pancakes, served with lots of butter and real maple syrup!

I hope your family loves these delicious pancakes as much as we do!

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 5, 3 and 1). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

1. Jan says

Can’t wait to try these … adding pecans to the shopping list ’cause we’re always well-stocked with the other ingredients. Breakfast-for-dinner is a favorite at our house.!

2. Susan in St. Louis says

Sounds yummy! I’ve been missing your posts (or else haven’t seen them), so welcome back! :)

Just noticed your kids are the same ages as mine…it’s a busy season of life, isn’t it?! ;)

• Brigette says

Aww… Thanks! It IS busy! If you have any tips on how to make it any easier, please share. :) I feel like I’m in survival mode most of the time!

My kiddos actually all just had birthdays recently (my baby turned 2 today-sniff!) so I guess it’s time to get Crystal to update the ages.

America’s Test Kitchen has tested the adding lemon juice to milk method several times (they are America’s Test Kitchen after all!), and the conclusion is that there is no need to wait 5 minutes or 10 minutes or any length of time. In test after test, there is no difference in the product between waiting for the lemon juice to work on the milk versus using the mixture immediately.

• Brigette says

The recipe I adapted this from actually just says “oats” (handwritten from my mother-in-law)…but, the only kind I’ve ever used is quick oats. I’m guessing that if you used regular oats, the final product would be would be chewier and not quite as fluffy. If it were me, I would probably pulse the regular oats in a food processor or blender for a couple of seconds before using them. If you try it, let me know how it works. :)

I was planning on making “breakfast for dinner” tonight, so when I saw these I had to try them. They were fabulous! Our 4-year-old loved them. Our exchange student didn’t like them, but she doesn’t like anything. :) Thanks for the recipe!

5. Kim m says

We’re eating these now for dinner.. They’re so good!! Doesn’t even taste like healthy pancakes, even my husband loved them!

6. Amy R says

My husband’s term for food he loves is, “restaurant quality.” That’s what he deemed these this morning. Yum!

7. Annie says

Has anyone had really runny batter? I can’t figure out what I did wrong, but it was more the consistency of crepe batter than pancake batter. I just added more flour, a little bit at a time until it felt like pancake batter. I doubled the recipe, and didn’t expect any leftovers, but they were very filling. We really enjoyed these!! The topping really brought the yummy flavor out. I’m so glad we had lots leftover for the freezer…an easy breakfast for another day! Yay!