My 25 Goals for 2013

As I mentioned in my 2012 Goals Final Tally post, I’m trying to be much more specific and simplistic in my goals this year. I not only want to keep in mind what is realistic, but also make sure that all of my goals are clearly measurable.

If you’re brand-new to goal-setting, be sure to read my post on How to Change Your Life By Setting Goals.

Here’s my list of 25 Goals for 2013:

Personal Goals

Read through the Bible in a year using this plan.
Run in at least one 5K race.
Complete the Couch to 10K program.
Memorize Romans 1 and 2 with Jesse.
Wake up by 6 a.m. and exercise, shower, and dress by 8 a.m. every day. (I’ll explain more about this goal tomorrow when I share about my one word focus for 2013.)
Read 150 books/ebooks (see my list of 48 books I’m for sure planning to read here; the other 102 or so books will be ones that I discover throughout the year and want to read.)

Marriage Goals

Read 3 marriage books (I’m not sure which ones yet. Any recommendations?).
Finish reading through the Psalms together as a couple.
Have overnight stay (sans children) at least every other month.
Go on at least one date per month.

Mothering Goals

Continue Grace and Truth memory book.
Ice-skating lessons for all three children during the first quarter of 2013.
Swimming lessons for all three children during the summer.
Finish at least 37 read-aloud books (see my planned list here, along with details on how we incorporate a lot of read aloud time into our everyday lives).

Ministry/Friendships/Extended Family Goals

Begin weekly accountability meetings with my friend Jerica.
Get together with friends for a playdate or lunch at least once a month.
Continue being involved in our local church, couple’s group, and blogging accountability group.
Continue with weekly get-togethers with both sides of our extended family.

Financial Goals

Use a portion of the proceeds from my next book project to fund a well project.
Fund our Child Survival Program for 2013.
Buy a new bedroom set.
Invest in another rental property.

Business/Blogging Goals

Release two new ebooks.
Attend one speaking conference.
Finish and submit the manuscript for my next book.

photo credit

Have you set goals for 2013? If so, tell us what they are or leave a link to your blog post below.

At the end of each month in 2013, I’ll be posting an update on my goals and encouraging you to share the progress you’re making on your 2013 goals, too. Let’s encourage one another to live lives of intention and purpose!

Comments

1. Cass says

Love and Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerich. I’ve been married 32 1/2 years. This is the top marriage book that I would recommend. Men are Like Waffles and Women are Like Spaghetti would be in the top 5 books. If you read the first couple of chapters of this book you’ve got the gist of what it is saying. Funny thing- I had read the first couple of chapters before my husband came home from work one day. He is an electrical contractor and I handle the phone and appointment making. It had been a busy day on my end and I started down a list of about 10 or 12 things. I was half way down my list and I looked at him and cracked up and said, “It’s just like that book said!” He was still back in the first square/box.

2. Natasha says

Hi, I love your blog it has been inspiring to me! My husband and I do pre-marital and marriage counseling for our church so I love reading marriage books. Some of my favorites are “When Sinners Say I Do” by Dave Harvey, “Love That Lasts” by Gary and Betsy Ricucci, and I also like Tim Keller’s “The Meaning of Marriage”. Sacred Marriage is a good one too!

3. Lana says

The marriage book I would recommend is ‘Love and Respect’ . We read it after 29 years of marriage and it has totally changed our relationship for the better.

4. Laurie G says

For marriage books “When Sinners Say I Do” by Dave Harvey and “This Momentary Marriage” by John Piper.

5. Andrea L. says

150 BOOKS!!!!!????? WOW!!! I was shooting for 30-40….looks like I better get crackin’!!!
    I know, with my goals, I’m getting very specific thanks to following you for the past 2 years!! Thanks for sharing your list and your progress throughout the year!!

If you still need ideas for good marriage books, Gary Smalley’s book “For Better or For Best” is an amazing book for wives about marriage. I have read it over and over, and each time I still get inspired to try to be a wife the way he describes!

Go pick up Beyond Ordinary by Justin and Trisha Davis. Just came out this week. I’ll be doing a book review on the 15th but trust me, it’s fantastic!!!

8. Vicky says

As far as marriage books go, have you read This Momentary Marriage: A Parable of Permanence by John Piper? Excellent – highly recommend.

Awesome goals! I’m posting mine tomorrow, so I’ll link up then if the linky is still open.

As far as marriage books, I HIGHLY recommend The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Keller. Outstanding! Hope you have a great 2013!

Marriage book: The excellent Wife by Martha Peace
    Its wonderful…based on Proverbs 31! I also recommend the study guide to go with it. Gods blessings on your new year!

11. Meredith M. says

I love your goal setting posts! I’ve become so much more productive and efficient since I started doing my yearly/weekly goals. I plan on doing my goals for 2013 over the weekend!

Your goals are such an inspiration!

In the marriage book category, have you ever heard of Creatve Counterpart by Linda Dillow? That on was given to me as a wedding gift and it’s excellent!

As for goals, all of mine this year center around the main goal of having a baby in July. :)

I so agree that resolutions are just setting yourself up for failure! That’s why I’m a fan, instead, of setting specific, measurable goals and then breaking those down into bite-sized pieces and having regular accountability to follow through.

Well said! Everything is so much easier when it’s in bite-sized pieces! I think the most important thing about resolutions or goals is that they create positive change in your life and make you feel better about yourself!

There is this song on my son’s Handy Manny CD (everything goes back to Disney, it seems), called “One Step at a Time”, and when my son is getting frustrated we start to hum it as a reminder :) I think sometimes I need to do it for myself!

13. Michele M says

I very much agree with recommending “Love and Respect” by Emerson Eggerichs and “Sheet Music” by Kevin Leman. Also, I highly recommend “Creative Counterpart” by Linda Dillow and “After Every Wedding Comes a Marriage” by Florence Littauer (an older book that may be harder to find, but one that helped me and several friends with marriage).

Wow, I am so impressed with all the goals you have lined up! I’m keeping my goals pretty simple this year because now that I’m back in college the classes suck up a lot of time. :)

Good luck to everyone in pursuing their goals!

15. Christina says

Hi Crystal, a great book my hubby and I are reading is How we Love by Milan and Kay Yerkovich

16. Dawn says

What’s It Like to Be Married to Me is another book – I think it’s by Dillow. Although I think it is probably not one you would read WITH your husband.

17. Anna says

Read “As For Me and My House” by Walter Wangerin. I received it as a wedding gift, and it is hands-down the best marriage book I’ve ever read!

Thank you for inspiring me to write down all of my goals that were in my head. I always tend to shy away from goals thinking I will be legalistic, but this time I didnt’ get all carried away in making the goals and made them simple, but doable, and I love the idea of making goals in each area of your life in order to maintain balance and not dwell so much on one area. Awesome :)

19. Maya Andrews says

I also recommend “For Women Only” and “For Men Only” by Shaunti Feldhahn -you may have read those already…

Also I really like “Formula For Family Unity” by Walter and Trudy Fremont http://www.amazon.com/Formula-Family-Unity-Walter-Fremont/dp/0890841225/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357237934&sr=1-1&keywords=formula+for+family+unity

and “A Wife After God’s Own Heart” by Elisabeth George

and “A Remarkable Marriage” by David J. Whitcomb http://www.bjupress.com/product/262832

For a good marriage/relationship book, I suggest “I Promise” by Gary Smalley. It’s been several years since my husband and I read it together, but it was life-changing….

21. Maya Andrews says

These aren’t marriage books but I discovered them at my local library and really like them:
    “The Hurried Child” and “Miseducation” by David Elkind
    Even if you have your parenting philosophy decided there are great points to consider.
    (I put them on my Christmas list and my husband bought me both :) !)

22. Susan in St. Louis says

I recommend “As for Me and My House” by Walter Wangerin Jr. as far as a marriage book to check out. :)

23. Lindsey Pieper says

I’m not sure if you’ve already read these but I’d recommend reading:
    The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman and Nan Silver
    Safe People by Cloud and Townsend

24. Emily P says

My favorite marriage books are Love that Lasts by Gary & Betsy Riccuci and Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas, another great one: When Sinners Say “I Do” by ? Harley (william I think).

25. Katherine says

Ok this is probably a very silly question but what is the difference between a list of goals and a to-do list/project list or a list of habits? I’ve been reading the goal posts and am working on a few simple goals for 2013, but what I am mostly coming up with is a list of projects. For example, I’ve listed for scrapbooking what I’d like to accomplish in 2013: 2011 family album, 2012 family album, 1-year old’s baby book, 2013 grandparent book and update Christmas album with 2012 Christmas card photos. I won’t break those down into monthly goals or smaller because I want to have fun doing them. And if I were to back out to a big goal, it would be to attend my Creative Memories’ consultant’s monthly workshop. But if I don’t complete those projects, I’ll carry what doesn’t get done to 2014 and not worry about it because again I enjoy the scrapbooking. Another example would be with some healthy habits I want to start – which are to quit drinking apple juice for breakfast and drink green tea instead, and to decrease the amount of chocolate I eat each day. I’ll work on those 1 at a time and once they are down good, then I’m sure I’ll have 2 or 3 more changes to make and will do them 1 at a time. And if I were to back up, the bigger goal would be to eat healthier. But my focus won’t be on that bigger goal, but instead on the specific habit that I’m currently working on. So with my original question, what is the difference between a list of goals and a list of projects to do or habits to create? Thanks so much.

I’m still amazed at the number of books you read added to all that you do! I love to read and I am generally a fast reader, but I don’t think I could get that many read. Maybe once I get a better routine around here I will have a bit more down time.

27. Patty says

Thanks for sharing crystal. Having written goals and an accountability partner makes a world of a difference. My husband and I are going over our goals together and using the sheets you provided. I love how we can type directly on them.