37 Books I Plan to Read Aloud to My Kids in 2013

I’ve been planning out what books I want to personally read for the last two years. It’s been such a helpful thing that I decided it was high time I start doing this for our read-alouds, too.

37 read alouds might seem like a lot to some, but reading is a very big part of our lives. I feel like raising my children to love learning and teaching them how to love good books is one of the greatest gifts I can give to them as a mom. Therefore, we do a lot of reading at our house. And we’ve sought to weave it into our everyday lives so that it just naturally happens.

As you’ll notice, we typically combine meals and reading aloud. My mom often read to us at lunch when I was growing up and I loved it, so we’re carrying on the tradition in our home, too. I’ve also been meeting one-on-one with each child each weekday and we usually spend at least 15 to 20 minutes of that time reading a book together.

By just doing these things, I’ve been amazed at how much reading we get through. It also helps that my kids are usually begging for me to read extra chapters since I try to choose books that will be especially engaging to them. :)

If you want to start reading aloud to your children but you have no idea where to begin, check out my post with tips on how to start reading aloud to your children. For more book ideas, check out this list of Books We Read Aloud in 2011 and our list of Books We Read Aloud in 2012.

Please note: Most of these books are ones we haven’t read before. Therefore, just because they are on my list does not mean I am endorsing them. :)

Devotionals (Breakfast Read Alouds)

Growing Together in Forgiveness: Read-Aloud Stories for Families Book Series

God’s Amazing Creatures & Me! Devotions for Boys and Girls Ages 6 to 10 (Devotions for Boys and Girls Ages 6-10)

God’s Promises

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name

God’s Alphabet for Life: Devotions for Young Children

THE TRACT PRIMER: First Lessons in Sound Doctrine for Young Children

Lunch Read-Alouds

Vinegar Boy: Encounter Christ Through the Dramatic Story of Vinegar Boy

Rascal

The Trumpet of the Swan

In Search of the Lost Missionary

Loony Coon

Understood Betsy

Caddie Woodlawn

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

The Queen’s Smuggler: William Tyndale

Annie Henry and the Secret Mission: Adventures in the American Revolution – Book 1

Beyond the River

Viking Adventure

Dinner Table Read-Alouds

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh

The Secret Garden

The Borrowers

Carry On, Mr. Bowditch

To Read Aloud With Kathrynne (She’ll be 8 this month.)

The Amazon Stranger

Spiderweb for Two

More About Paddington

Paddington Abroad

Paddington at Large (Paddington Bear)

To Read Aloud With Kaitlynn (She’ll be 6 in June.)

Little House on the Prairie

Anne of Green Gables

They Led the Way

Hugh Pine

Carolina’s Courage

To Read Aloud With Silas (He’ll be 4 in May.)

Farming with Father

Eloise Wilkin Stories

The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Adventures of Laura & Jack (Laura #1)

Christmas Stories (Little House Chapter Book)

Do you have any books you’re planning to read together as a family this year?

Comments

Some great books on that list! Anne of Green Gables is my all time favorite book. We just read Understood Betsy recently too. Some we love that we read this past year are; The Year of Miss Agnes, Betsy and Tacy Go Over The Big Hill, The Children of Noisy Village, and Casey at Bat. My 9, almost 10 year old has really enjoyed the Dear America Series too.

Great list. Wonderful idea to plan out a reading list for the children. Nice idea. There are some nice titles that I’d love my children to read. I think it is a great idea. I’m just not sure what to add as their interest and curiosity change so often. I of course, there are classics that I’d like to expose my children to. Interesting post. Thank-you!

I’d love for you to.visit me at http://www.mommiesandbeyond.com

3. Lee S. says

Hope you love The Trumpet of the Swan as much as we did. I took a few suggestions as well, thank you!

4. ClareC. says

Crystal,
    I see someone already mentioned about Spiderweb for Two being the last book in a series. Our family loved the Saturday series as read alouds. Great stories and vocabulary…
    Caddie Woodlawn is another wonderful choice, as are the Paddington books.
    You might want to also check into the Betsy-Tacy series also by Maud Hart Lovelace. My favorite series of books ever, and that of my daughter, Tacy!

5. Kelly says

My only little one is two so I just try pick out some simple picture books that are not very long. She gets antsy sometimes when I choose long ones. Although maybe as she gets used or starts understanding what’s going on she’ll sit still. How early did you start reading to your oldest, and did you have any trouble keeping your children still when trying to read to them?

• Jen says

Kelly, from my experience it is completely natural for your 2 year old to be antsy during reading time. When my first son was born, I had big ideas about reading to him all the time. He had other ideas. :) My husband and I decided not to push it too much. Every few days we would sit down with him on our lap and attempt a short picture book. Sometimes he didn’t last long enough for us to open the book, and sometimes he lasted a few pages. Those short exposures were invaluable though, because by the time he turned 3, he was bringing us book after book after book to read to him. All of a sudden he wanted to be read to all the time! My advice is to surround your little girl with lots of picture books, and children’s books. Have them available, and keep trying. Soon the awesome day will come when she can’t get enough.

6. Demaine says

Dear Crystol – I used to be super organised and “lost things” along the way during the past 5 years. Finding your blog through Pinterest has been a gift from the Lord. Thank you for the inspiration, practical breakdown of what seemed “insurmountable” and the deals (even though not all are redeemable from South Africa)! Be blessed as you share your gift so generously. D

7. Marianne says

I am curious how you decide what you are going to read aloud to your children? Do you look at any reviews or books that help guide you?