Cheesy Hamburger Potato Soup

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

I like soups that are rich, creamy, and full of veggies and carbohydrates (who needs meat?). My husband, on the other hand, only eats soups that are hearty, meaty, and not rich (veggies optional).

This recipe is our happy compromise. The fact that it is inexpensive to make, feeds a crowd, and is full of ingredients you probably already have on hand means everyone wins!

The type and amount of meat are flexible. I often use a mixture of ground turkey, ground beef, and venison in place of the ground beef. Sausage would probably work quite well, also. And I always scrimp on the meat in soup recipes – so feel free to do the same (or leave it out completely… which I could never get by with at my house).

The chilly fall evenings are the perfect time to serve this filling, warm-me-up soup. Add some fresh bread and a tossed salad or veggie tray and you have a simple meal that’s good enough to serve to company.

My picky 4-year old requests this for dinner every. single. night!

What are your favorite soup recipes?

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 5, 3 and 1). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

I loved this one, I have a meat & potatoes kinda guy too… I am going to pull this up again tonight and see if he’d be willing to try it! =]

2. Lauren says

oh yeah! This is the best kind of recipe for fall and winter nights! My husband isn’t a ‘soup’ guy, but I love how cheap and easy they are. A recipe like this is win-win!

3. Lori F. says

I make this as well after finding a recipe at Food Network.com for Cheeseburger Chowder several years ago. This is a fall/winter meal for us as it is very hearty and filling, and somewhat indulgent. My kids (12 and 9) LOVE this soup too. We had it last night for the first time this year and they couldn’t wait to eat. It is a great choice on a cold night!

I’ve been making a version of this for a long time. It’s a perenial favorite in our house. We like it even better with chopped ham (usually turkey ham).

5. Kim says

This looks really yummy!! I make a cheeseburger soup with shredded potatoes alot. I make it in the crockpot & use hamburger (or any combination of ground beef/chicken/turkey), chicken (hind quarters I’ve cooked, skinned, & deboned in the crockpot) or canned salmon. I also make a 6 Bean Cajun Soup in the crockpot.

• Kim says

Most soups will cook on low setting in 6-8 hours or high setting in 3-4 hours. I’d brown the ground beef & drain the grease before putting it in the crockpot though. If the veggies aren’t done enough, you could put the removable crock in the microwave a few minutes until done.

• Brigette says

Frozen corn would be a great addition! I can’t believe I’ve never thought of throwing that in before. :)

• Brigette says

The measurements listed are for dried herbs. You can use fresh herbs (actually, I normally do since I grow my own… But figured the majority of people don’t have access to cheap, fresh herbs :)), but you’d probably want to use more than the amounts listed. Obviously, all the spices and herbs can be adjusted according to your personal taste preference.

6. jess says

this is so easy to make and use what is on hand. I made a big meatloaf and thought this would be a different way to use the leftovers. Added some extra veggies just for fun. Looking forward to see how it turns out.

7. MJ Gerd says

I made this Friday night because I had all the ingredients on hand. It was superb!! Only suggestion is to use large pot/ kettle instead of a frying pan. I had to transfer midway because the pan was overflowing. Thx for a delicious recipe!

• Brigette says

You are absolutely right about the frying pan. I always make this in a medium large pot, so I have no idea why I wrote “frying pan.” :) Even though I re-read my recipes several times before submitting them, I still manage to overlook obvious things sometimes! Thanks for catching that. And… so glad you liked this!! Like you, I almost always have all the ingredients on hand – which is a huge plus to this recipe!

8. Lynn says

I made this last night and it was a huge hit! All your recipes that I have tried have been a huge hit in our house!

9. Teresa says

Thank you for this recipe!! I made it last night and we all loved it! I used bacon instead of hamburger and added a little more cheese…..Yum Yum….fantastic…..I will be making this a lot!!!

• Brigette says

I haven’t made it in the crock pot, so I can’t say for sure. However, if you read through the comments, there is someone who makes something really similar in the crockpot. She gives basic directions for how she does it. If you adapt this recipe for your crockpot and you are happy with the result, let us know how you did it! :)