Upside-Down Praline Apple Pie

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

Just when you thought apple pie couldn’t get any better… it does! Not only does this pie look impressive, it tastes amazing, too.

This twist on the classic apple pie is probably my very favorite apple pie of all time. And no, it’s not even close to low-fat, but let me assure you that it’s worth every blissful calorie! One taste of the caramelized pecan-studded crust, and you may never be able to settle for regular apple pie again.

We served a pie similar to this at a Victorian tea room that Crystal and I waitressed at for several years (a loooong time ago!), and it was always a favorite on the menu during the fall.

This is my adaptation of that recipe.

Although this pie would be a fabulous addition to your Thanksgiving menu, there’s no need to wait until then to enjoy it!

This is fabulous served warm with ice cream!

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 5, 3 and 1). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

1. April says

Looks amazing! I wonder if you could substitute something else (like a brown sugar crumble) for the pecans on the bottom of the crust? I’d love to make this but I’m the only one in the family who can eat tree nuts!

• Ranna says

There are times I wish my son wasn’t highly allergic to tree nuts… and this is one of them. I feel your pain :-p

• Brigette says

If you left out the nuts completely, it would still be good. The brown sugar/butter/syrup mixture turns all caramel-y, so you would just be missing the praline part. It’s already sweet, so I’m not sure if adding a brown sugar crumble would be sugar overload or not. :) In place of the pecans, (if you want that crunch factor), you could maybe try toasted oats, slightly crushed cornflakes, or maybe granola (which again, might be too sweet). Let me know if you try something and you like it!

• Mickie says

We can’t do tree nuts in our home either. I’m going to try this with sunflower seeds. I substitute sunflower seeds for most things that call for tree nuts with fairly good results. Will see how it turns out.

Yum!! This recipe is very similar to one I make except the recipe I use has orange juice in the crust (and maybe the filling too, I can’t remember). Upside Down Apple pie always gets rave reviews and is gone in a flash! You won’t regret making it. :)

• Brigette says

You can eat this any temperature. It’s probably a personal preference thing – different people would say different things as to what is “best.” :) I’ve eaten it cold, at room temperature, and warm, depending on what kind of mood I’m in!

3. Tracie says

This looks so delish! I wanted to post specifically a thank you for the “Print This” tab. It makes my life so much easier!

4. Pam A. says

I believe the credit for this original recipe should be attributed to Beth B. who worked at the Tea Room for several years.