Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Almond Banana Bread

Guest post from Michelle of The Willing Cook

I have a confession to make. I don’t always come up with my own recipes. I love to peruse magazines and take regular favorites and make them allergy-friendly for my family.

One of my inspirations is Cooking Light magazine. The October issue featured some marvelous quick bread recipes that immediately sucked me in.

I knew I had to start experimenting. So, I did. And, guess what? You are now the beneficiary of said experiment. Just think: a gluten-free banana bread with an ever so wonderful dairy-free (& nut free if you use Sunbutter) “Nutella”.

YUM!

Michelle is blessed to stay home with her three children (ages 10, 7, and 4), while her husband works to provide. When she’s not experimenting with allergy-friendly meals, she’s blogging about it at The Willing Cook. Through the Willing Cook, her hope is that you gain peace of mind in your kitchen (and your pocket book) and are able to serve those you love who suffer with food allergies.

Comments

1. Sarah says

I would love to have a link to the regular version of this recipe :) I’m wondering if I can use whole wheat/all purpose flour in place of the other ones and I have no idea what guar gum is and I don’t have any cream of tartar – can I use baking soda??

Thanks, Sarah, for finding that recipe! I think I meant to link that, but forgot :0 Guar gum is an ingredient used in gluten-free flours to help them corporate a little more like regular wheat flour. In your case, I’d definitely use whole wheat flour. As far as cream of tartar goes, I use it as a substitute for baking powder because my husband is allergic to corn (an ingredient in traditional baking powder). Leave out the cream of tart, decrease the baking soda to 3/4 tsp and add in 1 tsp baking powder. Did you follow me at all? Or, better yet, follow the original recipe :)

• Sarah says

haha, thanks! i have it in the oven right now – I’ll let you know how it turns out :) We’re fortunate to not have a ton of food allergies in our family (although LOTS of non-food-related ones!). Some of the allergy free recipes posted always look so tasty, but I get all muddled up by the special ingredients.

2. Amy says

I’m glad that you freely share that you did not “invent” the recipe! I think way too many people take a recipe, change a few ingredients, and call it their own. Thanks for letting us know where you got it!

Amy,

I’d wager to guess most cooks don’t just magically make up their recipe out of no where. Some of us might unintentionally think that we have, but we usually get our inspiration elsewhere. I find wonderful “regular” recipes all the time and convince myself that I need to make an allergy-friendly version.

Michelle

3. Ellen says

Looks tasty! Though I think that an “allergy free” recipe that contains nuts is a bit of an oxymoron! Around here, almost all churches and schools are nut-free because that is one of the most common and fatal allergies.

• Ellen says

Sorry, I missed where you said Sunbutter. However, many people dealing with nut allergies will skip this recipe because of the title.

I was going to point you to the Sunbutter alternative. It’s a hard decision to make….do you include the word “Almond” because it’s a main ingredient in the “nutella” and hope that people will see the substitute with Sunbutter, or exclude it? Obviously, I left it in. I can just hope that the people who would like to try the recipe, but have a tree nut allergy, will know to make the needed substitutions.

Ooohhh, I’d love to know how you make it Paleo-friendly. I know a lot of Paleo folks. Come back here and let me know or stop over to my blog and leave a comment when I put up the link back here to the recipe (next week). I know a lot of my readers would really be interested in it. Thanks!!!

4. Traci says

Crystal, thank you so much for including these allergy-friendly recipe posts lately! I just cannot tell you what a fun blessing it is to get on here and be surprised by a great new recipe my kiddos will actually be able to eat! Love the nutella with sunbutter idea, we’ll be trying that very soon :o)

Traci,

I am so glad to hear that the recent allergy-friendly recipe posts have been a blessing to you and your family! I agree with you, I always love to be surprised by one myself. If you ever need any other food allergy & kid-friendly recipes, don’t hesitate to let me know. I have quite a few up my sleeve :) and, well, on my website too.

Enjoy!
      Michelle

Oh yay! I’m so thankful that you’re finding them to be helpful to you. I’m so grateful that Michelle has been willing to share here!