Slow Cooker Chipotle Burritos with Homemade Pico de Gallo

Guest post from Brigette Shevy

Here’s a super easy dinner idea that makes use of that oh-so-versatile slow cooker! The homemade pico de gallo takes this recipe up a notch and is a fantastic way to use up some of those amazing garden tomatoes that are quite prolific right about now.

I’m always looking for meals that are healthy and budget-friendly. This one definitely makes the cut! If you add the optional beans and corn (see money-saving tip below), you can get a lot of mileage out of two pounds of meat.

If you don’t have the time or ingredients to make your own homemade Pico de Gallo, you can substitute with your favorite salsa. However, if you want to give it a try, here’s the super simple recipe!

These recipes are so easy — and the perfect way to serve a hot meal without heating up your kitchen!

Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 5, 3 and 1). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.

Comments

1. Sarah says

I have seen chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in so many recipes in magazines and have been meaning to figure out where on earth to find them in the grocery store. I guess that should have been a little bit of a no-brainer, but thanks for pointing it out!

2. Shauna says

This looks really good. I like that you can use steak or chicken. I sometimes get really tired of using chicken.

3. KimH says

Your dish sounds & looks good, but what you’ve made is a salsa which is probably wonderful.. but its not pico de gallo…

Pico de gallo does not have chili powder or sugar in it, and it always has green chilis in it.. its one of the basic ingredients. That’d be like leaving out the peanut butter in peanut butter cookies, without it.. its not peanut butter cookies.

Heres a great page on the differences between salsa, pico de gallo, & pecante sauce.

• Brigette says

Thanks for the link – I will definitely look it up. I always thought that “pico de gallo” was “fresh” and “salsa” was “cooked” (or canned or made with canned tomatoes or other ingredients), but didn’t realize it HAD to contain certain ingredients and could NOT contain others. Good to know! :)

• KimH says

It can contain other ingredients like melons or cucumbers.. but its traditionally all fresh ingredients and its not wet and its not flavored by anything other the cilantro & the veggies/fruit in it. Its a dry diced salad/topping basically.

I’ve been eating it for close to 50 years and adore it.. as I do any sort of salsa & pecante sauce.

These days in the advent of cultures colliding, their foods, & creativity, it has taken away from the authentic staples of many countries and it saddens me.
          Nothing wrong with getting creative with foods, I do it myself, but I believe we as a nation need to know the history and the authentic ways of foods as well as peoples before its all forgotten.

I was born 51 years ago in a small Mexican border town on the US side.. I had Mexican maids, and I spoke Spanish before English, and I ate more Mexican food than I did American until I was an older teenager.
          Some of the other things that are today that were not even 20 years ago were most tacos were not what they are today, though your meat filling recipe would be a normal taco filling, (Yum, it looks & sounds delightful), Fajitas were a cut of beef back strap, and cooked like they are today with peppers and onions, burritos were fried, and Mexican restaurants served a lot of steaks, stews, & varieties of tacos & enchiladas.
          Thankfully we have a Mexican restaurant close to where I live where they still serve authentic Mexican food.. Its not the Tex Mex variation that most Americans have come to know. (not putting down Tex Mex.. I love it too, but it is what it is. ;0) )

4. Christina says

I literally made this last Monday! Unless I visit a specialty food store however, I have yet to find chipotle peppers available in my area, so instead I use salsa with chipotle peppers in it. I cannot remember the brand, but it tastes just as delicious! Aside from that and the fact that I don’t bother to blend the ingredients in a blender, everything else is exactly the same in my recipe as it is here. It turns out delicious!