Lunchbox Freezer Cooking: Allergen-Free Chocolate Crunch Bars (Day 10)

Note from Crystal: Thanks so much for joining me for the Lunchbox Freezer Cooking series. It’s been a fun adventure! For the last post in this series, Michelle from The Willing Cooking is sharing an allergen-free recipe for those of you who have food allergies in your home.

Guest post from Michelle of The Willing Cook

A good friend of mine makes Peanut Butter Scotchies on occasion — a delicious and calorie-loaded recipe. I have had the pleasure of indulging myself in this treat a few times, and let me tell you, there is a reason why she doesn’t make them very often. :)

Since we have wheat, dairy, egg, soy, corn, and a few other allergies at house, I would be the only one who could eat Peanut Butter Scotchies if I made them. While I’m sure I can enjoy an entire pan of these bars, I certainly don’t need to. So, I embarked upon a mission to make an allergen-friendly (and a little healthier) version that my family can share with me.

My first attempt at these bars, while delicious, almost sent us on an emergency dentist trip because they were so hard. I couldn’t leave them alone though — the taste was amazing! After a bit more tinkering, I finally got the recipe down and I’m thrilled to share this recipe with you today.

These bars are so good, you’ll never guess they were allergen-free!
Michelle is blessed to stay home with her three children (ages 10, 7, and 4), while her husband works to provide. When she’s not experimenting with allergy-friendly meals, she’s blogging about it at The Willing Cook. Through the Willing Cook, her hope is that you gain peace of mind in your kitchen (and your pocket book) and are able to serve those you love who suffer with food allergies.

Are you joining us for Lunchbox Freezer Cooking? If you’ve blogged about a lunchbox recipes you’ve made for your freezer, leave a link to your post and recipe below. I can’t wait to see your yummy recipes and ideas!

Comments

Yes, brown rice syrup is a healthier version of corn syrup. My husband has a corn allergy, so that’s the main reason I leave it out of food. However, I’m not a big fan of corn anyway, so it’s not hard for me to do without. It’s not always easy to cook without, but we manage.

They are amazing! I hope you try them and would love to know how they turn out for you.

The crunch bars look so good. These are similar to some treats our neighbor used to make for us each year at Christmas time. They were so good. We will have to give them a try.

Zoya,

You can certainly give honey a try and I’d love to know how it turns out. I wonder if the honey would be a bit sweeter and how the consistency would turn out. The first time I made these, I did all brown rice syrup & sugar. They were so hard that we nearly broke our teeth out (they still tasted good though). After adding the water to the syrup & sugar, I was able to thin it out. You would have to experiment with the amounts to see how the consistency works out — you don’t want it too thick b/c it thickens up with the nut butter. Please let me know if you try the honey!

Michelle

Kathy,

My motto with cooking is whatever works, go for it. The rice krispies get pretty hot when you mix them into the nut butter mixture. Personally, I wouldn’t want the chocolate chips to melt into it and make a chocolate bar, but that is personal preference. I loved having a nutty rice krispie bar with a layer of chocolate on top. Regardless, if you want to put the chocolate chips in with the rice krispies, go for it! I’d love to know how they turn out with that change.

Michelle

AWESOME! My kids are going to love these. I have everything on hand even, except the brown rice syrup. You think agave would work?

3. Sarah says

Oh, yum! I had no idea Kellogg’s Rice Crispies are gluten free – that is great to know.

Thanks :)

• Shari H says

Not all Rice Krispies are – Kelloggs now makes a gluten-free version that is in a light tan/beige box. The traditional ones have malt flavoring (barley based).