Saturday Shopping Trip: The health food store & Dillon’s

After my not-quite-successful shopping trip last week, I decided to try another transaction at Dillon’s. And I’m happy to report that it went off without a hitch:

Dillon’s Shopping Trip

2 boxes of Hefty OneZip Bags — $0.99 each after the Buy 10, Get $5 Off Promotion — used 1 $1/2 coupon (there are also $0.55/1 coupons here and here which make it free, but I’d already printed/used  my limit!) = $0.50 per box after coupons
1 Luna bar – used free coupon that printed on my receipt last week
1 Sunsweet Prune Juice — used free coupon that I got in the mail
1 Herbal Essence shampoo — used free coupon that I signed up for
1 package of Oscar Mayer beef hot dogs — used free coupon that I signed up for
6 boxes of Nature Valley & Fiber One Bars/Thins — $1.99 per box after the Buy 10 Get, $5 Off promotion — used 6 $0.50/1 coupons (doubled) (There are also $0.50/2 coupon and $0.40/1 coupons available) = $0.66 per box after coupons and catalina
Dawn dish soap – $1.49, used $0.50/1 coupon (doubled) = $0.49 after coupon
2 packages of Huggies wipes — $1.49 each after the Buy 10, Get $5 Off Promotion — used 2 $0.50/1 coupons (doubled) = $0.49 after coupon
Organic bananas — marked down to $0.39/lb.

I misplaced my receipt today, but if I’m remembering right, my total was right around $10 with tax (after my $3 catalina from my last shopping trip), plus I got back a $2 catalina for purchasing 6 GM cereal bar products!

Silas said, “I’m going to get in the picture!” :)

Health Food Store Shopping Trip

Ezekiel Tortillas — $3.99
Raw cheese from a local farm — $6.35
Farm fresh eggs from a local farm — $3.29
Pineapple — marked down to $0.99
Bag of organic potatoes — marked down to $0.99
2 tubs of organic lettuce — marked down to $0.99 each
Plums — $0.99/lb. — $1.63 total

Total with tax: $19.56

Comments

1. Amanda says

I think the catalina was for buying 4 fiber ones – - buying 5 fiber ones and 5 nature valleys gave me two $ 3 catalinas

Oh, you got $6 for buying 10? I bought 7 last time and got $3. I still can’t exactly figure out what triggers what. I was expecting to get $3 again.

Does anyone know the specific breakdown on the catalina deal when you combine the different GM cereal bars?

• Amanda says

I think the fiber one and nature valley catalinas are separate, so you can do one or both, but one product won’t add to the other’s total. Either way, it’s a nice way to end up with a lot of cheap snacks.

Ah, that makes much more sense! I think in the past they’ve been combined which is why I was confused. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

We have a great closeout store by our house and they have such good deal on produce. I recently got cherries for $.49/lb and usually I can get tubs of organic lettuce for $.50 each. Since I have discovered this store we are eating more fresh fruits and veggies since we can get such good deals on them. The only draw back is since it is a closeout store the inventory changes from day to day but I just plan my meals around what I can find at a good price.

I’m insanely curious – where did you find the eggs? We’re in Wichita and we’re sick of paying 3.50+ for good eggs that aren’t local at Dillon’s

My little girl always wants to be in my grocery deals pictures! I keep thinking my kids will have pretty silly stories to tell when they grow up about how their mom always had to take pictures of her “deals” when she got home from the grocery. :)

5. Sara says

I see you bought the Simply Clean Huggies wipes. Have you bought them before? I bought them for the first time recently and they are just awful and do not clean. I have never had a bad Huggies product before until now. Just wondered what you thought.

We haven’t used them yet. I bought them because they had more in the package than the other packages did. I hope I’m not disappointed. :(

6. Anne says

Can anyone tell me a store name when Crystal says “Health Food Store”? In my area we have ‘Whole Foods’; is this an example? Thank you!

7. Kim says

Thank you so much for posting your shopping trips!! I finally figured out how to shop at Dillon’s. Last week I purchased 8 boxes of Ronzoni pasta at 49c each & 2 boxes Almond Breeze coconut blend milk for 99c each with coupons & their Buy 10 Get $5 off sale. Plus a few other things.

Does anyone know how to pick a good pineapple? I’ve googled it, got one at Aldi’s, & it was completely rotten when I cut it open. I was so disappointed. Crystal’s gotten me hooked on smoothies with her homemade yogurt recipe. I usually get the cheapest fruit I can find. I love the peach & nectarine smoothies!!

Silly question, but I have been meaning to ask this. What is the health food store you shop at? I am from St. Louis, but I don’t think we have anything like this by my house.