Make the Most of Your Mornings: Begin Your Day With a Good Attitude (Day 4)

Attitude is key to having a successful morning.

When you wake up feeling grumpy, grouchy, and out-of-sorts, it’s going to spill over into everything you do. You’ll probably feel unmotivated and apathetic, and frustrated.

If, on the other hand, you begin your day feeling cheerful, upbeat, and energetic, you’ll probably find that you’re more efficient, productive, and you just plain enjoy life a lot more.

Now, there are times in life when it’s hard to have a good attitude. For instance, if you’re struggling in your marriage, having financial issues, recovering from some sort of traumatic experience, experiencing hurt or loss, or dealing with difficult physical issues or depression, you’re probably waking up with a very heavy heart (if you even slept at all!).

Slapping a bandage on your pain and putting on a pretend happy face is not what I’m suggesting you do. Get help; don’t hide your struggles. The best way to find hope and healing is in reaching out for help from those who care and can provide you with the support you need during a dark time.

However, no matter what you’re going through, it’s never an excuse to mope, pout, and have a bad attitude. A bad attitude is only going to make matters worse.

5 Ways Start Your Day Off With a Good Attitude

Here are some practical ideas of ways to help you start your day off with a good attitude:

1) Listen to Music

Music can lift my mood like just about nothing else. If I’m feeling discouraged, putting on my headphones and turning on some of my favorite upbeat songs is one of the best ways to cheer me up.

Find some music that you love and that lifts your spirits and put together a playlist of it to have ready whenever you need a pick-me-up.

2) Smile

Even when you don’t feel like it, if you make yourself smile at others, it’s almost impossible to stay grumpy for long. Try it sometime and see if I’m right!

3) Count Your Blessings

As I shared recently, beginning my morning by making a gratitude list has helped to transform my attitude. I’d encourage everyone to designate some time during the day (in the morning, before lunch, when you go to bed at night), to recount your blessings.

Focusing on what we do have instead of fretting over what we don’t have is a surefire way to give you a more cheerful outlook on life. And even if you feel like you have very little to be thankful for, when you start looking for blessings, you’ll begin to find many more than you ever realized existed!

4) Hug Someone

When you’re down in the dumps, you might not feel like talking to someone, but make yourself go hug someone and you’re almost guaranteed to feel better. And you’ll probably boost the spirits of the person you hug, too!

5) Express Appreciation

There’s something about telling someone how much you appreciate them that always makes you feel more cheerful yourself. Make a habit of starting the day by telling someone thank you for something — whether it’s your spouse or child, a co-worker, a neighbor, or sending someone a text, email, or card to brighten their day.

Take time to notice and appreciate the little things. It will make your world brighter — and just may mean the world to someone else, too.

The First 30 Minutes of My Day = One of the Best Parts of My Day

I’ve also found that beginning my day by sipping a good cup of coffee, praying, journaling, reading God’s Word, and reading a good devotional is one of the best ways for me to start the day in the right frame of mind. My heart is quieted and I’m refreshed and encouraged for the day ahead. Truly, this first 30 minutes of my day is one of my very favorite parts of the day.

My Day 3 Project Update

Bedtime: Made it to bed by 9:45 p.m. — 5 minutes earlier than yesterday and only 15 minutes past my goal time. Progress!

My Top 5 Evening Must Do’s: Done

Wake Up Time: I decided to make a goal to be up by 6:30 a.m. every morning. I’d really like to be up by 5:30 a.m., but I don’t know that I can realistically pull that off on the weekends. So I’m sticking with 6:30 a.m. This morning, I got up at 6:20 a.m. — right when the alarm went off. Yay!

Day 4 Project

1. Did you determine your bedtime and 5 Evening Must-Do’s? If so, leave a comment telling us how you did on them last night.

2. Did you determine what time you’re going to commit to waking up every morning for the next three weeks? If so, leave a comment telling us how you did this morning!

3. Choose one simple thing that you will do every morning to help you begin your day with a good attitude. Leave a comment letting us know what you chose.

What practical ideas do you have for ways to help you start the day off with a good attitude?

Comments

Day 3 Project Update

Bedtime: I was definitely closer last night than I was the night before. I set my bedtime for 10:00pm and was asleep before then, but then my sis called (and I don’t get to talk to her often enough) so I stayed up until 10:45. Not too bad.

Top 5 Evening Must Do’s: Everything done, with the exception of getting Natalie to bed by 9, it was 9:30 though, so still an improvement.

Wake Up Time: I made a goal to be up by 5:00am, but with the late night I had the day before, I just couldn’t get myself to wake up. Well…I tried the suggestion of actually setting my alarm for 15-20 minutes later, and apparently I turned it off. So, I didn’t get up until about 6:30 when thunder woke me up. Only had enough time to start a load of laundry and start the coffee pot before my son was awake. Followed not too shortly by my daughter. :-) Oh well. We’ll try again for tomorrow.

Day 4 Project

Positive Attitude: I feel like life has been a bit out of sorts this week with my kiddos waking up WAY earlier than normal. So unfortunately I have not made time to read my Bible & journal. I so miss journaling! I love Money Saving Mom’s suggestion of a “Gratitude Journal.” So I have decided to start my day with a positive attitude by writing down all the things that I am thankful for.

I’m improving, but I’m not there yet. I started my bedtime routine on time yesterday and finished all five tasks early! I did stay up a half an hour late. This morning I snoozed 2-3 times and got up 15 minutes late. Even then, I thought I was going to die! It felt pretty awful. I was half asleep still for the first 30 minutes that I was showering and getting ready. But I did it, and I’m really hoping it’ll get better as my body adjusts, since I’ve been on a crazy schedule all summer.
    If anybody wants some accountability and check in buddies, I started a facebook group. Just request to join group, and I’ll add you:

3. Tiah says

Yesterday was a large flop due to a summer concert. I woke up an hour after my designated time of 4:00 am and was unable to run. Fortunately, tonight is a new night. I want to drink my first cup of coffee outside to settle myself for the day.

4. Megan says

It’s been a little difficult to get my 5 to do items done, but I have been able to get to bed between 10 and 10:30. I woke up at 7:05 this morning, so I am getting up earlier (at least today!). I would like to get up and have a few minutes with my husband, talking/praying over coffee. That will help me get out of bed also!

5. Amanda L says

I was in bed super early last night because I was exhausted. I got all 5 of my things done.

I was also up super early because of some crazy dreams. So much for that early bed time. :(

I love my veg time in the morning. I check in with online sites and Facebook. I lay on the couch and watch a little TV. Its the only time I really have for myself. I also have started taking a long walk around the neighborhood in the morning with my daughter. It seems to be really helpful in energizing me for the rest of the day.

6. Michelle says

I was thrilled to start reading this series last night because I had noticed recently that I needed to make some changes to my lifestyle. I was completely exhausted, overrun, and starting to nod off on the couch with my kids playing on the floor. My kids are 4 and 1 so this is not an “ok” thing!
    I made my Top 5 last night and committed to waking up at 630am every morning. My bedtime was way late last night…so it was 715 by the time I got up today, but baby steps…I have a plan!!
    I also started doing a daily scripture. I’ve never truly incorporated that in my life and the message I got last night was so fitting and perfect for what I needed. God truly knew what I needed! It’s quite amazing. But I read this at night and then the same in the morning, so I can have time to reflect and then in the morning, when I re-read, I can think about applying that to my day! Quite the motivation.

• Michelle says

Kathy- as silly as it is, I just typed in “daily scripture” into google….well first I tried “daily scripture for busy moms” but the first few hits that came up….well, they were great and all, but they all wanted me to buy a book. I don’t have time to sit and then look up which one offered what, let alone, opinions….
        So I typed in “daily scripture” and found a daily scripture blog.com. I’m new to it all, so I am just using for now until I can really find my way into a Bible study (which two friends have already referred me into) but so far the daily verse has been so uplifting and I just take that verse and read a little bit before and a little after. Then I make my own note on a post it and mark it. I truly believe that the past two nights have been exactly what I needed. I’m looking forward to tonight’s!
        Thanks!

My bedtime is crazy, but I am not hitting snooze. Having things laid out helped me to accomplish more this morning than I have in a month, so that was a plus. I am going to listen to some upbeat gospel music to start my day with cheer and beauty!

8. Christa says

My Evening must do’s are awesome. I’ve gotten them don’t every night.

I was in bed lights off by 930 (30 minutes early). I was up at my committed time of 6am, but only for 30 minutes. With a toddler that doesnt sleep and a 4 month old I guess sitting down wasn’t the best idea. But I’ll do better!!

9. Kerri says

2 minutes ’til bedtime, so I have to keep things short. I hit my bedtime and 5 to-dos yesterday, but didn’t get up on time. :(. But because I had prepared the night before, my morning still went well.

Tomorrow is a new day!

I did great on my bedtime and 5 Evening Must-Do’s!

I decided, but apparently did not commit to, waking up at 6am. I did not get up until 7:20, after a *very* rough night sleeping.

I love the attitude adjustment that a good morning gives me! I will begin my days with 3 positive points: one thing I love about DH, one thing I love about my kiddo, and one thing I love about my job.

Some nights will be trickier than others as we have commitments certain nights that keep us busy pretty much right up until my chosen bedtime. So, I’m going to have to work on doing my 5 things those days much earlier than bedtime. I learned that last night.

I’m picking back up again with my 5 things tonight, and with the right bedtime and getting up time.

I’d like to start my day with a grateful heart by thanking God every morning for specific things for at least as long as it takes me to brush my teeth. Sounds silly, I know, but I want to tie the habit to something I know I’ll be doing every day, so that it becomes a permanent part of my routine. So I guess I can start for being thankful he made us such that we need to brush our teeth regularly! ;) Time just asking to be tied to important habits.

12. Annie says

1. I made it to bed by 10:55 last night, 5 minutes early! And I got my Must Do list finished.
    2. I planned to get up at 7, but the baby got up early to nurse. So, I reset my alarm for 7:30, and actually got out of bed at 7:45. This is a big improvement for me!
    3. I will play worship music while I shower and pray for my husband and each of my children.

13. Lesley says

Got all my 5 things before bed done. Got up at 6am. I don’t have a problem waking up (I’m not always happy about it though) because I know if I don’t get up first, then everyone will be late for school or work. We only have 1 bathroom so we have to rotate our time in the morning. My girls take their showers at night and I take my shower after I take them to school. We also carpool, so we can’t be late or else we will have 5 kids late for school. My issue is bed time. I was supposed to be in bed over an hour ago, but I’m still up doing some computer work/paper work for our family business. Just a crazy day today (2 daughters got braces today and back to school night at the middle school) so things that normally would have gotten done earlier, just didn’t.

14. Rachael M says

I did well on my 5 things last night and have done 3/5 tonight. I had to work late tonight after a full day of “meet the teacher” for the kiddos and just don’t have the energy to do any more right now. I am failing miserably at the whole bedtime thing, but I am going to keep trying. I got up on time this morning without hitting the snooze button. I am going to make a mental list of everything I am greatful every morning as well as hugging my husband and kids before we head out the door.

15. Lisa C. says

1 and 2. I did determine my bedtime and my top 5. I went to bed an hour late but I did all of my top 5. I actually did more than my top 5 which is why I went to bed late but it was great to have all the laundry folded! Then I was hit with insomnia again last night. So I slept until almost 7 instead of getting up at 6. I’ve been miserable all day and am heading to bed when I am done here. It’s been a long week due to lack of adequate/quality sleep. :-( I’ve been praying that I’ll be able to sleep all night. :-S

3. I will either listen to music on a morning walk or list things I am grateful for. I like the idea of a gratitude list. I might do a quick gratitude list and then listen to music while I walk. :-) But then, I always give my children hugs so I’ll commit to that as well. Win win!

16. Emily says

I didn’t exactly get five things done :-( My husband and I start school (teacher and professor) soon, so we’re soaking up this last week of flexibility before we are locked into a schedule. I have been working my morning routine and I have been experimenting with what time I must get up in order to be out the door by 7:15.

At least now I’ve identified what my nightly check list needs to be, and I’ve figured out what I need to allow myself more time. Next week is the moment of reckoning, but I think it will be fine.

Oh, and I love giving someone a hug (and a kiss!) first thing. It’s great :-)

17. Tara Blanchard says

I missed my set bedtime of 11:00pm…boo! My iPhone had a meltdown and I freaked out! But I got all 5 of 5 done on my list. Woke up at 7am, which is my goal. I decided to give my kids a compliment before they walk out the door for school.

18. Natalie Groff says

Well, I did well with my bedtime of 9:30 yesterday. It was probably closer to 9:15 when I went to bed. I also got up at 6:30 this morning as planned. It was the hardest morning so far, but it helps that my husband is doing this with me. I didn’t do to well on my 5 evening must-do’s, though. I’ve managed to lay out clothes for the next day two evenings in a row and got ready for bed well enough, but I have yet to prep my breakfast, make up a to-do list for the next day, or tidy things up for a full 15 minutes. I did manage 5 minutes the other night, though! As for one simple thing that I will do every morning to help me begin my day with a good attitude, I think I’ll go with playing music. That will definitely help.

I like to begin my day with working out. (I have to do it then while my husband’s still home, since I go to the gym.) It wakes me up and feeling energized. Then I come home and once my husband leaves for work, I sit down with my coffee and do my devotional, write in my prayer journal and just spend time with God. Then I will usually get started on my to-do list or get some blogging done. I feel so productive when I wake up early and get things accomplished before my daughter wakes up.

Really enjoying this series!

20. Ayisha says

My goal for bed is between 9:30 and 10:00. I made it to bed at 10:40. :( Working on it still. I only got one of my top 5 done last night! But I did get three other things done that weren’t on my top 5. So hopefully that will get me closer to staying on task the rest of the week.

My goal is to get up at 5:30 every morning. I was up at 5:40 today.

And I would like to start doing some type of exercise, but I don’t know if I can get up at 5:00 everyday! Looks like I’ve got lots to work toward!

21. Sherry Lochner says

I was able to get my daily routine, nightly routine, 10 pm bedtime, and getting up at 6 am. Woohoo! My son was able to do his as well with his routine. My daughter didn’t realize that we were starting our morning routine, so she didn’t have her alarm set. Ugh!

There is nothing better than starting the day reading my Bible and praying to set the attitude of the day. :)

22. Annabell says

My plan is to be in bed by 10 and up by 6. So far, it is going well. Just doing this series and having other people to keep me accountable is enough to give me a good attitude in the morning. By the time this 3 weeks is over, it should all be habit anyway, but I think taking time to read my Bible, devotions, and write in my journal gives me a good attitude in the morning.

23. beingjennifer says

Oh, I love getting up and doing my ab workout. It’s been so good to help my back! I’ve been sitting and standing straighter and I feel so much more supported in my body. Yay! It started as just sit-ups while I was still in bed. Sit-ups in bed are so much gentler on my back! Now I’m adding lower abs and upper body weights sometimes, too. I love the gratitude list and hope to add that to my day. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful hubby. We practice verbal appreciation regularly with each other and he’s the best hugger!

Since I just found these posts today, I’ll let you know my progress update tomorrow.

24. karrie says

I’m catching up on the posts…I haven’t started my routine yet but after talking to my husband we’ve decided to do this as a team…set out clothes, making sure the house is picked up and the dishes are done, making a to-do list for the next day and getting breakfast ready to go. My bedtime is 10pm and my get up time is 5am…only 7 hours but its the only thing that’ll work right now. My kids get up at weird hours, sometimes 5am other times 7am. I’d like to get into the habit of doing yoga or something active in the morning before the kids wake up. I need to find my balance to help my attitude in the morning, it’s been less than chipper lately!

25. Anne S. says

I’ve been getting up to do some studying in my Bible for a little while now, but I’d like to add your habit of writing down things to be thankful for. Tonight is my first night for doing the evening routine at 9:00. Maybe if I think and pray about it from the start of the day, I’ll be ready when it’s 9:00. :)