Sweet Potato Smoothies
Guest post from Brigette Shevy
I don’t know about you, but there’s just something about getting in a serving of vegetables at breakfast that makes me happy. It gives me a sense of accomplishment by 8 a.m.
The sweet potato in this smoothie recipe adds that extra “oomph,” not only boosting the nutritional qualities (hello, beta carotene!) but increasing the “fill factor” as well. (If you’re wondering what “fill factor” is, I define it as something that keeps me full for longer than 1-2 hours!)
I realize adding sweet potato to a smoothie might seem like an odd combination to many people, but it blends in quite nicely. For those of you who don’t care for sweet potatoes, this is a great way to consume them almost effortlessly.
The easiest, quickest way to cook a sweet potato is in the microwave. Simply scrub the potato, pierce it several times with a fork, and pop it in the microwave until soft (about 5-6 minutes). You can store it in your refrigerator until ready to use for this recipe. You can also substitute cooked carrots, pumpkin, or butternut squash in place of the sweet potato.
Sweet Potato Smoothie
Makes 2 servings
- 1/2 cup (125 g – I pack it really full) sweet potato, cooked and chilled
- 1 frozen banana, cut in thirds
- 1/2 yellow apple, cored (If you like really thick smoothies like me, stick the apple in the freezer for a while before using)
- 1/8 tsp. each nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind will work)
- 1 cup ice cubes (You can use more or less, depending on how you like your smoothies.)
Place all ingredients in a Vita-mix or high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth. Serve immediately.
Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 5, 3 and 1). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.
Subscribe for free email updates and be entered to win $100!
PREVIOUS POST: Get a free $2 credit to Gluten-Free Saver!