Good-For-You Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge

Healthy Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge

Since I’ve been eating a no-refined foods diet for the past number of weeks, I’ve had fun finding new recipes to satisfy my sweet tooth. Here’s one recipe that has become one of my favorite afternoon snacks. It’s the perfect pick-me-up — especially on a hot summer day!

Comments

1. J says

Crystal, I wonder what this would taste like without the chocolate? Have you ever made it that way?

• Roxanne says

By weight, this recipe is primarily peanut butter and chocolate chips.

Not much different than my craving buster when I don’t have anything sweet in the house –> dip a spoon in the peanut butter jar and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. We are never out of peanut butter or chocolate chips!

2. Amanda W. says

I’ve tried using coconut oil in my cooking and I’ve hated it every time because I can’t stand coconut. What could you substitute for the coconut oil? I’m really wanting to make these because I’ve recently been diagnosed gluten intolerant and I’m desperate for gluten free sweets! =)

• Jaci says

Amanda – Tropical Traditions has a coconut oil that they say isn’t strong. Here is the blurb from the website: “Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil is the oil to use when you don’t want much flavor. It is a very bland oil, letting the flavors of the other foods it is cooked or used with blend and infuse each other without getting in the way. This is the best substitute for the common tasteless cooking oils (like refined vegetable oils), but all the coconut oils can pretty much be used interchangeably with other cooking oils. ”

Here’s the link to the product: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expeller-pressed_coconut_oil.htm

Hope this helps!

3. lisa says

As a registered dietitian I am not sure that I would label these “good for you” but they certainly look like a delicious treat, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lisa: That’s probably because you and I might differ in our beliefs when it comes to “good fats” that are healthy for you.;)

Of course, I don’t recommend eating five of these every day, though! :)

• lisa says

No disagreement here about these ingredients being healthy fats, but as a health professional I am cautious to label peanut butter fudge as a health food because many do use that as an excuse to over-indulge.

• kathy says

Crystal, that I am afraid would be my problem. I love fudge.and peanut butter and from the freezer othen a hot day I am afraid would be my undoing! However I may make when I can share half with someone else. Sounds delicious! Also a bit off subject but I recently took a healthy cooking class and we made a fruit dip by mixing half peanut butter and half low fat yogurt ( we used strawberry ).. It was the.bomb! At home I even changed the proportion s to 1/4 peanut butter and still yummy.

4. Erin says

These sound delicious! I will definitely be trying these tonight. I’m curious if anyone has ever substituted the peanut butter for almond butter and if it’s any good?

5. Jaci says

I rarely have maple syrup in the house. Any suggestions of substitutions? Would honey work?

6. julie says

I was wondering if I could sub something different in for the coconut oil or just leave it out altogether?

I made this tonight and to me it tastes like frozen peanut butter. It tastes good, but when you evaluate the ingredients, it’s essentially peanut butter with oil and sweetener. Still, nothing wrong with cold peanut butter and chocolate chips in it, especially on a hot day.

8. amanda says

Crystal, I’d love for you to consider sharing a post about how you have handled your no-refined foods diet frugally. I’m always looking for more inspiration to heat healthfully on a budget.

9. Kathy says

Have you considered substituting Truvia in for the maple syrup? I need to be very careful with my sugar intake.

10. Dana says

Maybe it’s just my monitor, but it looks like there is something red sprinkled on top of some of those pieces in the photo. Is it just me? What is it?

11. Josh says

This looks good. My wife and i have given up the refined foods as well and this looks like a good treat. We made the switch 2 months ago and have dropped 60 pounds between the two of us so far.