Allergy-Friendly Freezer Cooking: Nut Butter Pancakes

Guest post from Michelle of The Willing Cook

Crystal shared a very popular freezer cooking challenge in May with “regular” food. However, a number of readers have requested allergy-friendly recipes as well.

That’s where I come in.

For the next three days, I’ll be sharing an allergy-friendly freezer cooking recipe each day. All three recipes will be free of the top eight allergens and more.  Hopefully, this will help some of you who have food allergies and would like to do some freezer cooking, but who are struggling to come up with ideas as to what you can make with your dietary restrictions.

When Crystal linked to a Peanut Butter Pancake recipe recently in her meal plan, I knew I had to try it. I was so excited about the results using whole wheat flour and almond butter, that I decided I would make a gluten-free batch as soon as possible.

The successful and power-punching breakfast pancake recipe below is what resulted. We loved these!

Note: Any “nutty” spread can be used for this recipe, like sunbutter, and still be peanut and treenut free.  You may wish to talk to your doctor before using sunbutter, but it is free of peanuts and treenuts.  You can also try leaving out the nut butter from the recipe.

Like I mentioned earlier, these pancakes are absolutely delicious — and our family loves them!

Michelle is blessed to stay home with her three children (ages 10, 7, and 4), while her husband works to provide. When she’s not experimenting with allergy-friendly meals, she’s blogging about it at The Willing Cook. Through the Willing Cook, her hope is that you gain peace of mind in your kitchen (and your pocket book) and are able to serve those you love who suffer with food allergies.

Comments

Yay! I’m soooo excited to see this go live. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Crystal, for publishing my guest post. I trust your readers will enjoy every single little {allergy-safe} bite!

2. Tracy says

This is a great series to offer. Thanks so much! I am lucky that my family does not need allergy friendly foods. My daughter previously had a nut allergy but grew out of it in a couple of years.

3. michelle says

Thanks for posting! My 13 month old is allergic to eggs and peanuts and is gluten intolerant. We have only been gluten free for about a week, and I am so excited for this recipe! He loves pancakes but every recipe I find has something he cant have in it. I am not so good at substitions yet so thanks for including all that information!

4. Rachel says

I may be missing something here but how is this free of the top 8 allergens? Nuts are a main allergen?

• Kristin says

I know that most people have an allergy to all tree nuts not just peanuts but sunflower butter (mentioned in the recipe) is actually tree-nut free and most are gluten free as well.

Rachel,
      I wondered the same thing, maybe the other recipes will be more nut-allergy friendly. I am very thankful, nuts are my son’s issue and not multiple foods like dairy, soy, etc.

I’ll have to ask my son’s dr about sunflower butter. He can’t have coconut oil and that’s in the recipe.

• Jennifer Roberts says

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We use sunflower-seed butter as a peanut butter/nut butter substitute in our house, and my kids seem to eat it right up!

For some reason my first reply never came up. Sunflower seeds, while can be an allergy, is not considered a treenut and is not contained in most sunflower seed butters (be sure to check the label). In the recipe, I wanted to make sure that readers knew that you can use any “nutty” spread and achieve the same delicious result, without the allergen. I hope this is helpful to you.

Michelle

5. Melissa says

Hoping to get some new allergy friendly freezer meal ideas! We have multiple allergies here among our gang: gluten, dairy, corn, oats and maybe tomatoes!

6. Colleen M. says

Thank you so much for this post! Any recipe that is kid friendly, freezable, and free of the top 8 allergens puts a smile on my face. I can’t wait to make these for my family!

• Cheri A says

Very cool!! I’ll be looking forward to this series! My daughter is gluten-free, as well as allergic to milk, eggs, soy, tree nuts, and peanuts. I *wish* she would try a recipe like this, but sunbutter scares her.

Going to check your site to see if you have just a plain pancake that I could make. :)

Cheri,

I can understand being scared of sunbutter! I would recommend still trying this recipe and leaving out the sunbutter. While it was a great binder to the gluten-free flours, I think the recipe would turn out just fine without the sunbutter. Hope that helps!

Michelle

• Cheri A says

Thanks so much for the idea. I will try this! I also went over to your blog and browsed a bit. Loved your site. I will be back soon!

7. Kim says

Tree nuts and peanuts are both in the top 8 allergens, and 2 of the most likely to cause severe, life threatening reactions.

Kim,

Yes, they are! The list (sunflower seed, almond, cashew, peanut) beside the nut butter ingredient are examples of “nutty” butters that you can use. Sunbutter is free of treenuts and peanuts, but acts similarly. Hope that is helpful!

Michelle

Thank you for doing this!! Very helpful for us as we cook egg, nut, and dairy free, especially as I’m due for our 2nd baby in 2 weeks and have been trying to stock up the freezer! :)

Kelly,

Congratulations! I’m glad you found this helpful. I hope you were able to read the other comments regarding the issue with the nut butter ingredient. Sunbutter is treenut and peanut free, so as long as you don’t have an allergy to sunflower seeds, there should be no problem. The other thing I thought is that you can substitute smashed bananas for the nut butter — use 4 bananas for the 1 cup of nut butter.

Michelle

Mayo Clinic lists peanuts and tree nuts, separately, on their list of eight. We can’t follow many of Crystal’s recipes because of a nut allergy and would love truly nut free recipe ideas.

Bria,

Sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) is nut & peanut free. As long as you do not have a sunflower seed allergy, it should be an easy substitute. However, you should check with your doctor first to make sure sunbutter is safe. In the meantime, you could substitute 4 smashed bananas for the 1 cup of nut butter. I hope that helps!

Michelle

10. KC says

Thank you SO much for posting this and the mini series Michelle has started.
    I LOVE moneysavingmom.com and read it every day. It has changed my life more than I can express, but the freezer cooking series was a bummer for me. It was difficult to participate with everyone since many of the recipes had ingredients I don’t use.
    We don’t have food allergies, but we do a mostly gluten free diet. We rarely consume dairy, meat and almost no sugar. My food preferences and that fact that I wasn’t confident with food substitutions limited the # of meals I could make from her series. :(
    Thank you Crystal for this guest post