4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #1 Breakfast Freezer Foods Plan + Shopping List

Are you ready to get busy filling your freezer? My goal with this challenge is to erase your fears of freezer cooking and to show you that — no matter what stage or season in life you’re in — you can find a way to make it work for you.

In the process, I hope you fall in love with freezer cooking, if you haven’t already. It’s been a huge sanity-saver to me so I can’t help but be a big advocate of it. :)

Here’s this week’s list of Breakfast Foods I’ll be making to stick in the freezer along with a grocery list (let me know if you see any mistakes on amounts needed):

Click on the “Print This” tab at the top of the list to generate a printer-friendly list. (If you’re reading via email or a feed reader, you may need to click through to the post to print the list.)

Before you head to the store, make sure to clean out and organize your freezer and check that you have enough storage space for these items in it.

Comments

1. Sarah in Alaska says

Thanks Crystal. I’ll be scouting out my freezer this evening when I get home from work. I don’t think I’ll be following along exactly but I definitely need the encouragement to get going on it again.

P.S. I think the first instructions I need are to clean my freezer. Yikes!! :0)

2. Robin says

The banana bread just came out of the oven! I know you are trying to fill your freezer, but I’m actually trying to empty mine (for a move). So instead of the oil in the recipe I used some pureed pumpkin I had frozen a long time ago when you had a post about roasting pumpkins:) It turned out delicious!

3. Kristen says

I’m curious about your banana bread recipe…. when you’re ready to pull a slice out of the freezer, do you leave it out overnight to thaw? Or can you pop it in the microwave?

Thanks! :)

4. Allison says

I am so excited that you are doing this! I am 31 weeks pregnant and I had wanted to make some freezer meals ahead of time for those first few weeks. This will keep me motivated and accountable…and you have done the hard part for me (gathering recipes and making a shopping list)! :)

• Stephanie says

Allison,
      You & I are on the same page. I’m 32 weeks and have been thinking of doing this too. I’m a little discouraged as I tried before my 17 month old was born and things just didn’t taste right when we pulled them out of the freezer. I’m super excited that recipes are being given as well as instructions for freezing. We were so discouraged about the amount of things being thrown out…and having to run out to eat…that I’ve been afraid to try again.

I’m in the same boat too! 32 weeks. :)

Another good resource is Tammy’s Recipes – just google:
        tammy’s recipes freezer baby
        and it will pull up her plans. I used some of her ideas and some of Crystal’s to make a list of the things I want to make… now to just actually get them made! :)

One good idea I’ve heard as far as things not tasting right (and we’ve done it a little) is just to freeze components of a meal, not the whole meal. For example, rather than making spaghetti casserole and freezing the whole thing, cook some ground beef and freeze it. Then it can be added to jarred sauce and dry noodles… might help with the taste, as things will be a little “fresher?”

Alison, Stephanie, and Kelly,
          I am only 26 weeks and ready to start this process. I’m a little behind. I am ready to learn and I agree that freezing individual ingredients is the way to go. A friend just gave me a process for freezing chicken and saving money while doing it.

Thank you, Crystal.

5. Christine says

I like to make several pies’ worth of pie dough, roll it out in a circle and roll it up with plastic wrap in between so it doesn’t stick. I put several in a large ziplock bag. I love having the convenience of it.

6. Tiffany says

I am also so excited to be seeing this for the exact same reason as Allison! I’m also 31 weeks and have been wanting to start my freezer stash. Thank you!

Tiffany, when I was expecting my 5th baby, my younger ones and I spent 3 days in the kitchen. They chopped and measured and stirred for me while I cooked and baked and wrapped and froze. I had 30 big meals in the freezer before the baby was born. It was wonderful!!!

I just done up a few batches of Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits! Ahh- this saves SO much time in the morning! (And mess- hate early morning messes! ;-)

8. Lana says

Check! I already had 2 loaves of banana bread in the freezer that I did 2 weeks ago. I freeze in thirds of loaves and we still have 4/3 left. I had just put them in the oven when a tornado warning was issued on my weather radio. I was home alone and still cowering in the tiny downstairs half bath when the timer went off. I raced out to the kitchen and snatched them out of the oven and back to the bathroom!

I love banana bread! I can’t wait to try this recipe. How long is it good for in the freezer?

10. Nicole says

I am excited about this! Maybe you could post the list for next week’s meals on Friday or Saturday, just so I can make sure I have the ingredients on hand before the work week starts, even if the “assignment” doesn’t start until Tuesday :)

11. Patricia Newton says

I am crying right now and will tell you why… I have worked as hard as I can as a teacher to earn as much as I can for my family (additional degrees). Now that I have completed these classes, I have been in search of ideas on how to save my family money. I’ve even prayed about it. I found your site at the beginning of your cleaning series. I used your site to bring my house back to it’s glory. I even learned how to make my own cleaning products and laundry detergent along the way. My next goal was to start freezing meals. I have spaghetti sauce and pumpkin muffins frozen but I wanted to go bigger. When I read your new series today, it was exactly what I need… a list (I am a BIG into lists) to follow and the knowledge that other mothers out there are doing the same tasks gives me a feeling of support. Crystal, you are a blessing to my family. You help make my life more manageable. Know that your offerings mean a great deal to this mom who’s eyes are full of tears. I am grateful and appreciative to you and the other followers. Now lets get freezing!

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement! And I’m *thrilled* that what I’m posting has been a help to you and your family! It sounds like you’re doing a fantastic job — keep it up!

12. Holly says

I am wondering if I cut down on the amount of sugar if it will still come out good. (One of our family’s goals is to cut down on processed foods and sugar. ) Has anyone tried this?

13. Gabby Wells says

I just my two loaves for the day and it came out awesome!! My mom used to make banana nut bread for me when I was younger and I have always wanted to try to make it for myself! I am concerned about the cinnamon rolls tomorrow though because I do not have a bread maker or a hand mixer so I have to mix everything by hand with a wisk. :-( So how would I make the dough like it is described in the recipe? Just wisk until it’s well mixed and then knead and shape it on the counter by hand?

14. Aley says

Banana Bread thawing, I am trying so hard to decide about whether to make the cinnamon rolls tomorrow, I am so afraid mine will turn out awful since I have bever made them and they are a lot of work without a bread machine. Anyone have any tips for making them wonderful! I have to use spelt flour to bake with due to a wheat allergy. Also, should I freeze everything in foil pans or aluminum?

I was extra motivated to get started today so I made 2 loaves of banana bread, 2 pans of cinnamon rolls & for extra credit made 4 jars of yogurt & a quart of water kefir.
    My kids were thrilled to arrive home from school to the smell of freshly baked banana bread. They were even more thrilled when I let them chow down on it!
    I’m hoping to post on my blog tonight about all I accomplished in the kitchen today. Thanks for the motivation Crystal!

We love the whole waffles and everyone that I’ve shared them with also loves them. Last week I used canned pumpkin instead of the applesauce and we all loved them. I sent home a stack of them for my daughter and her family to try and they loved them also. Thanks for all you do.

17. Sarah says

Made cream cheese pound cake, cut up fresh strawberries and pineapple, made taco meat, put pinto beans in crock-pot, made hamburger helper w/ marinated mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, and parm. cheese, grilled marinated mushrooms on skewers, and mixed up a salad. Want to make egg mcmuffins and sausage/egg/cheese biscuits for freezer.

18. Jennifer Ott says

We don’t use baking mix very often; do you think you could post some links to recipes (even a basic biscuit one)? I usually just make them from scratch each time…

19. Ann says

I love that you have broken it down into do-able tasks each day. And this week focuses on breakfast items. Can’t wait to hear what next week brings. I won’t be joining you in freezer cooking this week as I am in a class all week, but it is inspiring.

20. michele says

Can you make the banana bread in a bread machine? With all the bananas in it it might be hard for the paddle to turn. Also it might be too big for the machine.

• Sarah says

I make mine in a machine (using a different recipe though). Just make sure you use over-ripe (brown) bananas and then mush them with a fork. Put in the wet ingredients first (such as oil and eggs) and add mushed bananas to that, then add dry ingredients. It turns out perfect every time, with no banana chunks.

I have my bread sliced and cooling right now! My husband stole a piece and LOVED it! Much better than what we’ve made in our bread machine in the past. I just have one question…when you freeze the slices, do you wrap them individually or something? How do you keep them from sticking together? I’ve only ever frozen muffins so I wasn’t sure how the slices would work.

• Courtney says

When I freeze tortillas or crepes, I would stick a piece of wax paper between the slices. It should work for banana bread.

22. Anna says

I started cooking after dinner (work full time outside the home). I doubled the recipe but baked 3 smaller loaves. The smell was delightful. I let the loaves cool and sliced one up for the week and to freeze. I decided I will let the other 2 cool over night and decide tomorrow if I want to slice the loaves for freeze as a whole.

I can’t believe how well the loaves turned out. We had to try a slice of course and the kids and I thought tasted so yummy!

I am not an experienced cook so I was delighted how well this first day of the challenge turned out. I did not even have to go to the store :).

Thanks, Crystal!

23. Katie says

I noticed that the recipe for the cinnamon rolls includes coconut oil, but it is not listed specifically on your shopping list, only oil. Can vegetable oil be substituted equally for coconut oil in the dough recipe? The original author notes that coconut oil is the key to the bread, but will this affect the cinnamon rolls? Thanks!

24. Dona says

Hi Crystal… Love your freezer cooking challenges.. Some of your recipes are family favorites of ours now! Just curious, you did not say what your plan was for posting your progress. Do you plan to post once weekly or perhaps daily like your cleaning challenge?? Just curious!

25. Trish says

I’m very excited about this series! I have been wanting to give Freezer Cooking a try since I have been reading your blog for a couple of months now. I’m going out of order since I didn’t have enough bananas today, so I made the whole wheat waffles tonight with my daughter. They are so good and the whole family is looking forward to having some tomorrow morning. Thank you for all that you do! :-)

26. Sheila says

Do you HAVE to use the coconut oil? Will the rolls work out with regular oil? I can’t use coconut due to allergies, and am wondering whether it’s even worth trying to make them, since the coconut oil seems to be so essential to their success.

27. vickie says

this couldn’t have come at a better time -company is coming and I wanted to make some meals ahead. Ahh but first the freezer had to be thawed out. I did that yesterday and made cinnamon rolls and used the freezer method you mentioned in the comments. You got me rolling -thanks
    Once frozen how long do these things last?

28. Heather C says

Want to let you know that I saw you do a freezer friendly baked oatmeal so I tried freezing my family’s baked oatmeal recipe. It worked fine. I also froze it in a bag, not a pan, and just dumped it into the pan (thawed; I pulled it out the night before) and baked it. Thanks for the great idea!

29. Lacey Davis says

I am making my cinnamon rolls now, but I was wondering how do you freeze them before baking? Is that possible and if so then how do you bake them when I take them out of the freezer? Thanks!

30. Kayla says

It would be great if on the day of each assignment there was a Q&A session in case anyone had questions before making the items. I’ve had a few questions on two of the assignments, so the Q&A would be helpful. On tonight’s assignment, can we use plain flour instead of wheat flour?

Feel free to ask if you have any questions — or wait and do the assignment the day after so you can read about other peoples’ experiences! :)

You can use any mixture of flour for the whole-wheat waffles — or just regular white flour.

31. Natalie says

We are shopping for a chest freezer and I was wondering if you have any tips on how to choose what size freezer is big enough for a family. We are a family of four and I’m looking to store at least a couple of weeks of meals along with some basic food ingredients (like pasta sauce and gluten free baked goods). Since we have food allergies in our family – store bought of some things is not possible for us so I would like to store a good amount of food/ingredients so I can get the best prices in things. Thanks for the help! I loved your series in a more organized home…looking forward to the freezer series.

32. katie t says

P.S. LOVE THAT YOU EVEN BROKE DOWN THE GROCERY LIST FOR US INCLUDING SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR FREEZER COOKING. IT SOUNDS LIKE IT WOULD BE COMPLETE COMMON SENSE, BUT I HAVE A THREE MONTH OLD AND MY BRAIN IS MUSH SINCE SHES BEEN HOME WITH ME…SO THANK YOU FOR GOING THE EXTRA EXTRA MILE TO MAKE THINGS SOOO MUCH EASIER FOR ME. :) I CALLED TO ORDER PIZZA AND TOTALLY GAVE THEM MY “PARENTS HOME PHONE” FROM MY CHILDHOOD INSTEAD OF MINE…THATS HOW MUSH IM TALKING..HAHA. :)

I would not have thought to freeze banana bread or oatmeal – I will have to try both! Thanks for the ideas!