4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Waffles (Day 3)

I whipped up a triple batch of waffles before dinner tonight.

While I know that some people like pancakes and waffles fresh, I’ve found it’s so much more convenient to make a big batch of waffles and then freeze them for breakfasts later in the month.

And it’s so much cheaper than paying for frozen waffles!

Plus, while the waffle iron is baking one waffle, you can be doing other things in the kitchen — cleaning, baking something else, or even getting some blogging done, like I did today! Waffles are a great multi-tasking project since you have about 1.5 minutes in between each waffle to get something else done.

{Yes, can you tell I’m Type A that I think like this? My apologies to those of you who are Type Z and don’t get excited over the long list of possibilities you can dream up to accomplish while baking waffles! :)}

Here’s our favorite whole-wheat waffle recipe, adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook – a cookbook I think every woman should own!

Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

1. amber says

OMGOSH DID I MESS UP BIG TIME! well i have baking baking bread, cinniman rolls, and waffles today. and for some reason i put in 1 1/2 cups oil in. i kept saying to myself this really seems like a lot of oil! well i kept going anyway put the mix in the waffle iron and next thing you know the waffles are frying not baking! lol! wow fried waffles who knows it could be a hit with some people! well guess thats a mom brain for you tyring to do to may things a one time thinking i am super woman dealing with dinner, 4 kids, house cleaning, work and getting the house clean! come on now we all know something needed to go wrong to not make this day a dream!!!!! lol!

2. Cindy says

I added canned pumpkin instead of applesauce and we loved them also. Thanks for great recipes and and the help you give us.

I know this sounds weird, but I HATE cooking at 5 pm. It has something to do with tired/hungry kids and tired/hungry mom all at once. Because of it, I always forget that I actually like cooking other times!

I missed the first three days, so tonight I’m doing a whole bunch. So far I made pizza dough, banana nut muffins and chocolate pops. I’m currently working on breakfast burritos and bread (the dough is rising!). I still want to make pancakes, your cinnamon sticks (I probably won’t twist them) and maybe tortillas if I’m feeling up to it and if the bread is still doing it’s thing.

Thanks for this!!!

4. Amy says

What brand of waffle maker do you own? I would like to get one for Mother’s Day, but I want a good one!

5. Lynette says

This may be a dumb question (and may not even matter). But should I use all purpose flour or self rising? I don’t bake much (at least not from scratch) and I can never remember what ingredient makes the dough rise – I was thinking salt? Or is that what the baking powder is for?

Use all-purpose flour. If you used self-rising, you’d need to adjust the recipe — and I’m not exactly sure how you’d adjust since I’ve never cooked or baked with self-rising flour before!