4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Cinnamon Rolls (Day 2)

Today was a much better day than yesterday — and I’m so thankful for that!

Before I headed out to Aldi, the health food store, and Dillon’s with Kaitlynn (more on those shopping trips tomorrow!), I threw one batch of dough in the bread machine.

When I got back home, the dough was ready to be rolled out (have I mentioned how much I love my bread machine?!).

Once again, Silas helped me out.

He has the makings of being a really great chef!

We’ll see if his interest in cooking continues, but at the rate he’s going, he’ll soon be quite skilled in the kitchen — which I couldn’t be happier about!

Silas intently working on his “cinnamon rolls.” Notice how he rolled them up? It was so cute to see him try to do exactly what I did!

Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.

Comments

1. Robyn says

These look amazingly good. I have the exact same bread machine and I also LOVE it! It was a little pricy, but I have never had a problem with it and I really like the loaf shape too.

2. Lori says

I don’t have a bread machine. Can I make these with store bought dough, or is there something else you think might work? Thanks!

• SMS says

I’d cook them first if using store bought dough and freeze after cooking. I don’t think you should refreeze dough. Not sure if you can find “Sweet” dough as this has a bit more sweetner than regular bread dough. I’ve made them with regular bread dough on vacation and by the time you add all the brown sugar no one could tel the difference. Could use the frozen raisin bread if your family like raisins. Pricey though I think.
      How do I keep the family out of them If I cook them first? Do they make a mouse trap that big?! :)

I don’t have a bread machine and I used a sweet dough recipe and I tripled my recipe. I also made some yummy lemon cheese rolls.

4. Kim says

What kind of bread machine do u have?? I have been wanting to buy one but just haven’t been able to decide which.

• SMS says

Try Freecycle first and ask around. My first 3 bread machines have been hand me downs. If you have friends willing to loan them, it would give you an opportunity to try different brands/styles and see which you prefer.
      I use them mostly for bread dough. The requests here are now for “Homemade rolls” with pulled pork, chicken sandwiches, stew….etc. Spoiled bunch!

5. MaryAnn says

I just got a bread machine and this will be my first time using it. I don’t have a short dough cycle but I have a rapid dough cycle for 58 minutes. Does anyone know if this will make a huge difference?

6. Quintana says

Crystal,

Do you go ahead and make the icing and freeze it too? Or make it up when you know you are going to use the rolls?

7. Jen says

Homemade cinnamon rolls can be a cost-effective addition to a brunch or dessert table. Our church just had a ladies dinner which consisted of a variety of appetizers and desserts. I made up a batch of cinnamon roll dough and cut the batch in half, then rolled out each half to make mini cinnamon rolls. One batch made 3 dozen mini rolls! I used 3 batches to quickly make over 100 mini rolls.

If you have the freezer space, you can make these ahead of time and freeze in layers on parchment paper. Then pull them out on party day, let them thaw and rise, and pop them in the oven!

• janie says

Love how you think! Thanks for that great idea……so doing that for a party this weekend. God Bless You!

Ok so I am illiterate when it comes to bread machines but am intrigued however I have 1 quick question; If all I use my machine for is to make the dough do I have to use the bread flour or would all purpose work?

9. riann says

I made these for Mother’s Day and while they tasted great all the filling came out and was all over the bottom of the pan. I didn’t freeze them but cooked them fresh. Maybe they needed to chill for a bit first in the fridge?