Free Kid’s Summer Reading Programs

Summer is just around the corner and that means that it’s almost time for the Summer Reading Programs to begin.

Kristie from Saving Dollars and Sense put together a comprehensive list of nine different Summer Reading Programs that are available this year.

Have you participated in Summer Reading Programs before? If so, which ones are your family’s favorites?

Comments

1. AllieZirkle says

We always participate in the local library program and at least one other (Barnes & Noble usually). I’ll have to check out the list and add some new programs in!

2. PAULA C. says

My local public library has a summer reading program for all ages from the youngest reader to adult. For the kids,they have to color a circle in a folder everyday they read a book. After 5 circles are colored in they get to take back the folder and get a prize from the treasure chest. When all the circles are colored in (25 circles) the child gets to pick a special book from the big selection of books they have and gets cool extras like a certificate for reading,free ticket to a soccer game, and a free childs ticket to legoland. My son loves participating in the summer reading program.

3. Ramie says

I am the director of a small public library and I work really hard to make our summer reading programs fun! Dream Big READ! is our summer theme.

4. Sarah says

My husband is the Library Director in our small town in southwest Kansas. We LOVE Summer Reading Program at our local library. The reading, programs, and prizes are great! Support your local library and get involved with Summer Reading.

5. Tara Blanchard says

We love the reading programs in our community! Our local library and Barnes and Noble are the two my boys love! We will be signing up again this year and will be looking for more! :)

Chiming in also – I am a program librarian and we have an awesome summer reading program each summer for ages birth through adult! :)

We have done the Summer Reading Club at HEB for years! The kids read 10 books and send in a form. They always get a free t-shirt plus other prizes. Having 7 kids that pass down to younger siblings over the years, we have a LOT of HEBuddy t-shirts in our house! I don’t think they start until late May.

8. Esther a homeschool mom in Mid-Michigan says

We have doing our summer reading program at our local library ever since the boys were old enough to participate! It starts around mid-June and runs for six weeks. During that time, they earn “library dollars” for time spent reading. They earn “free” coupons for things like ice cream cones, burgers, fries, for hitting milestones in the program. Then they get to spend their “dollars” at a Library Carnival held in early September. They play carnival games and earn tickets, then they get to cash in their tickets for prizes! We have also participated in the HEB reading program once, a couple of years ago and got free t-shirts, pencils, bookmarks, certificates. They now have a “love” for reading and pick up reading material all on their own :)
    Now, if I could instill the “love” for cleaning up after themselves, my house wouldn’t look like a bunch of land mines exploded. LOL!