4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20

We’ve made it to the finish line — woohoo! Thank you to all of you who have joined me in this adventure and who have followed along in all the crazy tasks I’ve assigned to you. ;)

It’s been fun, but I’m kind of looking forward to a few days of break before we begin next month’s challenge on May 1. Any guesses as to what that challenge might be??

Day 20 Assignment

::Get dressed in something that makes you feel great {there’s something about dressing in clothes that make you feel great that just gives you more energy and zest for life! Get your free copy of SarahMae’s ebook, Frumps to Pumps, if you need more motivation in this.}

::Sit down with a cup of coffee or tea, refer to your list of weekly goals, and make a list of no more than 5-7 specific things you want to accomplish today.

::Complete your morning routine {if you don’t have a morning routine, take some time to create one today! Read my How to Develop a Routine That Works–And Stick With It series for step-by-step help.}

::Clean out and re-organize your medicine cupboard(s). Check expiration dates on medicines and dispose of any that are expired. Note: Check out this article for information from the FDA on how to properly dispose of medicine.

::Set the timer for at least 15 minutes and do something you really enjoy and that relaxes and rejuvenates you. If you need ideas, here are a few: read, write, call a friend, pray, exercise, bake, play with your children, laugh with your husband, stop by the bookstore and browse the book selection, work in the garden, or take a nap! Take some time to just stop and enjoy life today!

Note: If you work outside the home or have a really busy week with little time for extra projects, just do the bolded project above.

At 4 p.m. ET this afternoon, I’ll be posting my progress and pictures, along with a link-up for you to share your progress and pictures, too. Here’s to our productivity today!

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

1. Emma K says

Anyone know how you are suppose to dispose of prescription medicines you don’t use or that are expired? Besides flushing them…

2. Suzanne says

Please remember that medications (prescription and OTC) not disposed of properly i.e. flushed or thrown in the trash can end up in our drinking water. Most pharmacies will dispose of them properly for you for free. The CVS’ near me all do it so I would start there.

• Julie M says

My CVS would not dispose of them for free but would sell me for $10 a postage paid envelope to send them to a disposal company.

3. Amy says

Your local pharmacy should have a disposal program. All of the chains and smaller ones in our area do.

4. Jessica says

I actually did this yesterday! I’m nesting and finding lots of areas to organize before the baby gets here. Thanks for the help!

Our medicine cupboard is in the kitchen so I cleaned it the other day! so I guess I just get to relax today once I am finished my list of 7 things. I am guessing next month won’t be a cleaning series. Hmm…. perhaps a money saving adventure of sorts? Or paper clutter?

I was just coming over to comment about proper disposal of medications.

Check with local pharmacies or even the police department about proper disposal.
    Our local communities are having a “drug take back day” tomorrow for people to dispose of unwanted/expired meds.

• Lana says

Thanks for this info! I found several sites near me and lots of scary stuff in the medicine cabinet from my kids getting their wisdom teeth out and surgery I had a few years ago.

• Tracy says

I came to comment on the same thing – I hope people use these dropoffs for their unwanted medications! And if Crystal sees this – it would be great if you could update the front page so more people know about the drug take-back tomorrow! :)

7. Sheila says

I just did this the other day! I didn’t keep up with all the assignments, but did several. It’s fun, well as fun as cleaning gets :), doing it with others. Thanks for the list. I will pull it up from time to time as I keep our home in tip top shape to sell.

8. Lana says

A friend’s daughter works for a company that distributes OTC drugs and she says they are still good for a year after the expiration date so you may want to hang on to that expired Tylenol, etc. Also herbs are typically still good for up to 10 years past the date on them. Please verify this for yourself if you are unsure.

9. Meredith says

I wish I was all caught up on yesterday’s assignment, then I’d really be able to relax:)
    Hmm…next month’s challenge…. maybe a financial one or a cooking/baking/freezer cooking one?

10. Ashley says

My medicine cabinet was in my kitchen cupboards, so I cleaned it out the other day. Which I’m glad about because I’m feeling very lazy today. :)

11. Anna says

I was just thinking this might be on the list….I’m waiting until school is out to do all the ‘assignments’!! Instead of spring cleaning at my house, it’ll be summer!

12. Sri says

Thanks for this series. I did not find Assignment 15. Was it clubbed with 14 or 16 by any chance?

13. Christy says

Will this be available in June? I am back in the classroom full time this year for the first time since my 6 yr old was born and want to do this start to finish during summer break. If not I will pull them off and put them in a word document. Hopefully I can also follow along with whatever you have going then.

Do you have any idea yet what/if you will charge for the ebook? Will it be viewable on kindles, nooks, etc? Or will it be more like a word doc since you said it would be printable.

14. Ruth says

I’m trying to guess next month’s project. Coupons, menu planning, or financial organization? Maybe something with goal setting or routine/schedule making?

Wow – I was looking forward to catching up on all the cleaning I missed in May! I have a list of about 6 cleaning projects I didn’t complete yet. BUT…I enjoyed this series so much that I’m excited to see what’s coming next. And of course, those cleaning projects were mostly just missed because I made great gardening progress this month. So I’m totally off the hook!

And I cleaned out my medicine & related cabinets in February, so I’m off the hook for that, too. Which means I get to vacuum closets instead!

16. Amy says

My guess is…20 days to a more simple life.

Thanks for the fun challenge. I bombed it this week, as it was TOO busy, but I at least have some challenge ideas.

I have a medicine basket in my linen closet. But I have not gone through it in a while so this is a good task for me.
    I know we can dispose of any unused medication in our area at the local police station.

18. AmazonsRock says

My guess for May’s challenge is 4 Weeks to a healthier you, focusing on mind, body, and spirit.

19. colleen says

Do you have a list of all the days for organized home in 20 days. I missed a few and have tried to go back and find them. I have been doing some of them at my mother in laws since we live with her till june and then we move I can do this in a few months.

Thank you very much.

20. Danielle B says

May’s challenge….I’m so happy you’re doing this again, I don’t even care what the challenges are! It could be “4 weeks to standing on your head” and I’m still going to try and do it! :-)

Actually, I seriously need help getting my file cabinet decluttered and “minimalised”. I have a metal, two drawer file cabinet in my bedroom that I want to par down to one of those little plastic file boxes. I struggle to know what documents I really should hold on to and what I can let go of, such as manuals to electronics and appliances, monthly bill statements, etc. I hold on to a lot of paper, just because I’m never sure of what I really will need in the future.

21. Hailey L says

Thank you for doing these! I just found them 2 days before they were done, but I plan to double up and do April’s and May’s together (might have to just do the bold in April, but better than nothing!). I agree with the comment about “standing on your head”, I don’t care what it will be, it will just be fun to do a challenge with everyone! Thanks again! :)