4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #2 Update

If you missed Assignment #2, you can find it here.

Today was a good day — even if I didn’t end up getting everything done that I’d hoped. Oh well, that’s what tomorrow is for!

My day started early in the morning with my Bible reading and coffee, just like almost every single day does. I love the quiet morning time to sip my coffee, soak up encouragement from God’s Word, and prepare myself for the events of the day.

And then I made out my to do list for the day and got my morning blogging done before heading downstairs to sneak in a 2.5 mile run before the children got up.

Tuesdays are the day when my mother’s helper comes — one of my very favorite days of the week. :) She gave the children baths and started the girls on some of their homeschool math worksheets and Explode the Code books while I took a shower, ran downstairs to do a radio interview (with sopping wet hair and no contacts in — not a good idea since I couldn’t see to read my notes for the interview!), and then came back upstairs and started our homeschooling for the day.

After we finished all the homeschooling for the day, we ate a very late lunch (at 2 p.m.!), the children played in the backyard while I fixed my hair, put on my makeup, and did a little blogging. Then we all headed out to Target for a quick shopping trip.

The rest of the afternoon was a blur and I didn’t get to the kitchen and refrigerator until 7 p.m. tonight. Better late than never!

Truth be told, I think some of it was because I was somewhat dreading this project. There are some house cleaning things I enjoy doing. The refrigerator is not on that list.

But it must be done, so I tackled it with gusto. ;) {Kaitlynn and I were being silly and posing with crazy faces while cleaning out the fridge together!}

I didn’t find any “science experiments” growing things in the back, but I did find a clothespin, a number of items I didn’t remember we had, and four opened bottles of salsa. Yes, I really should tackle this more often than once every other month or so!

Once everything was out, I wiped down the shelves with soapy water, threw out the expired items, and re-organized the rest of the stuff. You can’t tell a huge difference, but it’s nice to know it’s clean–and nothing’s hiding back at the back anymore!

{In case you wondered what Silas was doing while I was cleaning out the fridge, he sat on the floor and made chocolate milk, er, a mess! :)}

And here are the 7 items I put in the garage sale pile today. All odds and ends from the kitchen that we no longer need or use.

How you do on Assignment #2? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

1. Joanne says

Thanks for the inspiration to do this! I’m actually feeling successful. I crossed off everything on my list yesterday. Was able to start cleaning the fridge–tossed the leftovers, hoping to tackle the cleaning today. My husband noticed my efforts and commented several times how nice the house was looking. That made my day!

2. Heather says

My kids would mutiny if I tried to serve lunch at 2 pm. Heck, I would too.

I spilled a lot of yeast in the fridge this week. Tip: Do not clean up with a damp rag. A vacuum works much better. Avoid water!

We were so engrossed in homeschooling yesterday that we lost track of time — I couldn’t believe it when I looked at the clock! They did have a big breakfast, so I guess that must have been it, but mostly I think it was because they were just really enjoying school yesterday. We started a new art program and they just didn’t want to stop practicing doing the different drawings. In fact, Kathrynne said she didn’t want to stop until she had finished the entire book! I love it when they are engaged like that and just loving learning. But next time that happens, I’m going to try and remember to look at the clock!

3. Emma K says

I actually wasn’t dreading the fridge because we’ve only been in this house for 3 months so it wasn’t too bad yet. But I did clean it out and found a few things to throw out. While dinner was cooking I cleaned the outside of the cabinets and countertops. Still need to find my 7 items to get rid of…

4. Kristin says

I didn’t read through all the comments so don’t know if somebody else suggested this. But, I saw an idea on Pinterest to put the Glad press and stick on the shelves in the fridge. Then when something spills you just peel it off, throw it out, and replace it.

I tried it and it makes it SO much easier to clean up spills in the fridge. Definitely a simple idea that saves a lot of time :)

5. Margaret Blassingame says

I’m actually kinda of OCD when it comes to the fridge. I was it out every other Thursday before I go grocery shopping on Friday. I grew up with more science projects in the fridge than decent food so I make sure my fridge is clean for my boys. However, I never really know when to throw out leftovers. I feel I throw out things that still could be good. Any thoughts?

My system for keeping the refrigerator clean is to clean one shelf each day. When I am wiping off the counter tops after breakfast, I just extend the wipe down to include one refrigerator shelf.

7. Kimberly says

I cleaned out my fridge yesterday and what a WONDERFUL feeling to open it this morning and know it was clean and organized and I actually now know what’s in there!! We are taking our “Spring Break” from home schooling this week, so it’s been a great week to get started with you! I still need to get my purse cleaned out, but I’m making progress on all of the steps! Thanks so much for your guidance, inspiration and example! Blessings on you today!

After our long day out yesterday I was pretty tired but I figured I could at least get the fridge done. So I have Laura’s Lean burger cooking under the broiler, homemade non-dairy waffles cooking for the girls and I worked on my fridge. Thankfully being at the end of payday the fridge nor freezer were very full.

I didn’t have much to throw away but everything got a nice wash down so it is nice and clean for my grocery shopping trip.

I still haven’t gotten any items to get rid of yet however cleaning up my room today should get me several and I am having the girls clean out the hall closet. Hopefully this will get me to 21 and I will be caught up.

9. Brooke says

My fridge is shining! I was so proud, I made my husband go look after he had gotten home late. He may haved rolled his eyes, but he agreed it looked great!

10. Rachel says

I am really enjoying this series already! I work full-time outside the home, and I so appreciate you taking that into consideration and including an adapted plan for that! My accomplishments yesterday (after work):
    cleaned coffee pot (ran vinegar through it)
    cooked/ate dinner at home! :)
    ran/walked 2 miles while my son had baseball practice
    did 1 load laundry
    looked in the fridge to toss some things, hoping to get to the cleaning today.
    Thanks Crystal, I am motivated and excited to keep organizing and spring cleaning!

11. AmazonsRock says

I am so proud of sticking with the majority of the items on Day 2. The only thing I didn’t get done was wiping down the cabinets. That’s on the list today.

Our 3 oldest girls are in school, and weren’t looking forward to the hot lunch item at school today (Wednesday). After dinner, we began the task of making cold lunches. All 3 big girls ran to the fridge and exclaimed, “Mom, we can make our own sandwiches.” I knew this to be true because A. they’ve done it before on the weekends; B. they are 9, 8, & 7, and C. they could find everything they needed because everything had a home!

This freed me up to spend time with the 3 little girls (ages 5, 3.5, and 3 weeks) reading and cheering on Donald Driver on Dancing with the Stars.

12. Carrie says

I would love to see your daily schedule…..You must rise early to get your devotions, run and shower in before kiddo’s wake up!

13. Carrie says

How long do you spend on morning chores before you get to school work? How long do you typically school and what ages are your kids? I’m trying to revamp my schedule so it runs a bit more smoothly.

14. Becky says

Thanks for coming up wih these assignments. I work full time, so really appreciate you bolding one item as a priority if we’re short on time. Sometimes that is all I need to just get started. Since I’m leaving the house I obviously got dressed ;) and did my morning routine. I had just done a big wipedown of the kitchen on Sun, so after work I wiped out the fridge, scrubbed the kitchen floor, and washed the sink full of dishes. Since I was feeling motivated, I also vacuumed the rest of the house and did a load of laundry! Thanks for the motivation!

15. Joanna says

I’ve gotten in the habit of looking quickly through my fridge before the last bag of trash goes on trash days. It helps keep things under control and only takes a couple of minutes once a week. =o)

16. Suzanne says

I am a little looney when it comes to my fridge. I clean it out either Friday night or Saturday morning before I go to the store. That way, the old is out before the new comes in on top of it. I’ve found that just cleaning it out and wiping down the shelves 1x each week really keeps the job minimal.

17. Diana says

I want to buy your little black tongs!!! LOL I’ve been looking for a pair just like that for fine motor for our youngest daughter and son. When is your yard sale? :)

18. April B says

Wow! You have a huge fridge! My mom in law cleaned my fridge recently as a surprise while I was at work. I am blessed. How early do you get up? My kids are up by 6am usually.

19. Courtney says

Any idea where you found the flat whisk? I’ve been searching for one for a year, but to no success.

20. Carmen says

The refrigerator is easiest to wipe out when it has the least amount of food in it so the day before I go to the grocery store, I clean out the refrigerator and serve a buffet to the kids for lunch. Since I do it once a week, nothing ever get thrown away, (and no more sniffing the containers.) I start top to bottom and only do one shelf at a time so there is no huge mess and if (when) I get interrupted it only takes moments to get the food back in and close the door. Or that is the way I did it until I taught my daughters how to cook and clean.