4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #17

Day 17 Assignment

::Get dressed in something that makes you feel great {there’s something about dressing in clothes that make you feel great that just gives you more energy and zest for life! Get your free copy of SarahMae’s ebook, Frumps to Pumps, if you need more motivation in this.}

::Sit down with a cup of coffee or tea, refer to your list of weekly goals, and make a list of no more than 5-7 specific things you want to accomplish today.

::Complete your morning routine {if you don’t have a morning routine, take some time to create one today! Read my How to Develop a Routine That Works–And Stick With It series for step-by-step help.}

::Set the timer for 15 minutes and do a quick-clean of your bathroom. Need specific directions? Read this article on How to Clean Your Bathroom in 15 Minutes.

::Clean out and reorganized your kitchen cupboards and pantry.

::Find 7 items to get rid of today. Throw them out, stick them in a donate or garage sale box, give them to a friend who can use them, or list them on Craigslist or eBay.

Note: If you work outside the home or have a really busy week with little time for extra projects, just do the bolded project above.

At 9 p.m. ET tonight, I’ll be posting my progress and pictures, along with a link-up for you to share your progress and pictures, too. Here’s to our productivity today!

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

I did it. I took everything out of each cupboard and washed them all down and tossed the expired food (there was way more than I thought there would be) and put it all back. It took me just shy of 2 hours! But now I feel I have a great grasp on exactly what food we have available, and what food simply not to buy anymore because no one eats it even if it is free with coupons!

1. Amy says

In one day?! I have about 48 feet of kitchen cupboards….I’m going to try to get this done, since some of your other goals were ones that I had been putting off for a LONG, LONG time, and they ended up not taking too long. Plus, several of our cupboards would only need about 5 minutes of attention. Thanks, Crystal for the great goals!

Can’t wait to do this one! Shouldn’t be too bad, but we all know how that goes, right?? : ) Anywho, just wondering, where is number 15? Did I somehow miss one? Thanks for all these challenges! My house (and my husband whose motto is “Less is More” thank you)
    Blessings,
    Kristy

3. Katrena says

Love this assignment as I have already cleaned out my cupboards, and cleaned the bathroom early this morning before the kids got up. Now I just need to get going on the pantry.

I was wondering when this task would be coming. I have been thinking about going through my pots and pans, casserole dishes and plastic containers for a while. So today is the day.
    Thanks for recommending this task to be done. I really need to do it and this will help me get it done.

This is something I have been meaning to do. Thanks for assigning it. My plastic containers really need to be gone through.

Do you mean like take everything out of them, clean them out and then put everything back nicely???? Or just reorganize them as you see fit? I can’t imagine dumping everything out and then putting it all back together in one day……but with Christ all things are possible =)

I specifically didn’t say *how* to clean them out so that you could decide what works for you with the time and energy you have! I think I’ll take each cupboard on a case-by-case basis.

Oops – I meant to reply to you, but accidentally replied to myself – I would do cabinet at a time – that way you have counter space to work, and if you have to deal with something else you don’t have to leave the kitchen in total disaster mode.

I am just now reading the comments hours later and have already cleaned everything up by moving almost everything and then wiping =) I think I might take a nap with my 4 little ones in a few minutes =)

I have concluded that toasters spawn crumbs somehow . . . Whenever I clean out the cabinets I am amazed at the crumbs our toaster has produced – I am all for broiling toast in the regular oven – it saves space and cuts way down on roach bait – hate to be gross. :)

It helps to do one cabinet at a time – that way your counters aren’t so covered that you can’t reach the cupboards, and if you get side-tracked by something you don’t end up with what looks like a war-zone at dinner time. :)

• Lana says

I have a drawer that I have only the toaster in so all of the crumbs are contained. I often look longingly at that drawer and think of all the other things I could use it for and then….I remember the crumbs!

• Heather says

When I vacuum the kitchen I just do a quick swipe of the toaster cupboard. Only takes a few extra seconds and it keeps the problem under control! I have a canister vac, though. Might no be so easy with the other kind.

8. Alysia says

Did this a couple weeks ago to gather things for our rummage sale…..how do the kitchen cabinets/drawers seem to collect so many things that we really dont need or use?? I was able to find a ton of stuff to sell!

9. Danielle B says

Already did my pantry and cabinets last week! Woohoo! (I knew working ahead would eventually pay off!) ;-)

I’m actually almost done with completely reorganizing my bedroom closet and the linen closet. I had already done the linen closet, but on the top shelf I store a few first aid supplies that we’re stockpiling. Then on my top shelf in the closet it’s just a cluttered mess of stockpiled supplies. I’m amazed at how much I’ve already knocked out. I’ve found a few things I’m going to actually list on Craigslist instead of just Goodwilling them, hopefully to add to our grocery budget this week. Then, this afternoon I’d like to complete two tasks off my list that I wasn’t able to do last week.

10. Meredith says

Ohh… my husband is in the process of painting all our kitchen cabinets, so this assignment is already done. Thank goodness. I’ve been cleaning them out as he’s been working on them. Yay! I need to catch up on my vents and do the bathrooms and I’m all set! Will you have any challenges planned for May? Or maybe we could do this one again in the summer?:)

11. Becky says

I tackled the kid cabinet (how many cups and plates do kids really need?) and the storage container cabinet last week! I am proud that they have stayed organized thus far. However, I need to finish the other 2 upper cabinets that I have and the walk-in pantry… Hopefully my husband will get in the mood to help tonight after work!

Thanks for these posts… I haven’t told my husband why I am doing these chores, he just thinks I am trying to do spring cleaning… but this website is motivating me! Thanks so much- good luck everyone!

12. Laura says

Hooray for my tiny kitchen! Not many cabinets to clean out and they’re already pretty clutter-free out of necessity. (Come to think of it, a small house has been helpful for a lot of these projects… which is part of why we bought it!) :)

In case I haven’t said it before, thanks for doing this series. I haven’t been keeping with the schedule (a 5 month old means time is precious and priorities are different), but I have really enjoyed completing the ones that I have, and l love the bite-size nature of most of the projects. I’m planning to try to use them as a checklist for when I have a minute (or 30) in the next few months, even if they don’t happen in order. Thanks again!