4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #14 Update

If you missed this morning’s assignment, you can check it out here.

We got up at 3:15 a.m. in order to make our early connecting flight to Cincinnati this morning. It’s been a long day, but a good day.

We got into Cincinnati in the early afternoon, set up our booth, and then spent the evening manning the booth — and meeting many of my wonderful readers. You all mean the world to me and it was so great to get to meet so many of you in person. I look forward to getting to spend more time with you tomorrow!

The convention hall here is amazingly huge compared to our homeschool convention in Kansas!

Our simple booth {I’m not a big fan of the yellow, but we didn’t have any choice regarding that! If you’re wondering what’s on the table other than my books, those are freebie bags we put together with some fun freebies to hand out. Because it just wouldn’t seem like a MoneySavingMom.com booth without freebies! :)}

Earlier this week, I did today’s assignment. Here’s the junk drawer before I cleaned it out. {And in case you’re wondering why it looks so clean, it’s because I recently cleaned it out! Otherwise, it might be a sorry sight!}

And the utensil drawer. I’m not too happy with the after result — it still seems cluttered to me. Anyone have suggestions on how to make it more organized?

And my pile of 7+ items to get rid of: from the junk drawer and the utensil drawer. Some to throw out, some to stick in the garage sale boxes.

How did you do on Assignment #14? I’d love to have you share your progress and success with us so we can be inspired. Either post a link to your blog post below or leave a comment with your update.

Other posts in the 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home series

32. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18
  33. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #18 Update
  34. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19
  35. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #19 Update
  36. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20
  37. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Assignment #20 Update
  38. 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home Printable Checklist and Daily Email Reminders

Comments

We have vending machines – almost all of my drawers end up with some kind of donut box or granola bar box in them to organize my stuff. :)

2. Cris says

I would get a few dividers in different sizes to keep alike utensils together(spatulas in one, big spoons in another, misc, etc). I got mine at big lots and dollar tree but you might also find some around the house that will work. I keep my peelers/ citrus zester at a skinny tray from an old indoor grill. I also keep my rolling pin and potato masher in one of the cabinets below the utensils drawers as they take up a lot of space. I put the cake server and ice cream scoop with the silverware as those are used often. I can find anything I want very easily as everything has a specific place to go (unless my husband puts the dishes up…)

3. Kim says

1. Did you make the table skirt? I’m considering doing a booth at a conferece to draw clients to my new business, but have no idea how to do this frugally. I have gift bags & ideas for freebies, but am concerned about the cost to carry this out.
    2. I purchased expandable dividers at Linen N Things several years ago. They were not cheap, but well worth it for me. You might be able to find little square/rectangular plastic baskets at a dollar store. I imagine someone with the right wood working skills could build dividers to just fit your drawers out of some scrap wood. The regular silverware divider wasn’t big enough for mine.

The table skirt was part of the conference center — we just had to go with what they had set up already! Sorry that I can’t help you more there.

4. Alissia says

I use a basic store bought silverware holder for my utensil drawer. I bought one with “straight” (as opposed to shaped) dividers so they have just straight lines & will fit a variety of utensils, rather than just fork/spoon/knive shapes. I also keep the ones that I seldom use in an individual small narrow holder that I picked up at the dollar store, and stuck it in the back of the drawer. i have even used empty wipes conatiners for those rarely used items! I find that I only use a few of the utensils on a semi-daily basis, so the rest can be pushed to the back, which makes it seems much more organized.

5. Linda says

We have our bigger spoons in a small crock on our counter. In the utensil drawer, I used small baskets to separate it into three sections. Or dividers would work too. I think it helps if the whole drawer is divided out for specific uses. Otherwise mine starts looking like the junk drawer with everything mixing together.

6. Eileen says

I have a HUGE utensil drawer in my island. It’s in a very handy location, but the drawer is so big, you have to dig around for everything. I went to IKEA and found three clear acrylic trays that fit perfectly. I sorted everything into the trays: plastic spatulas, spoons, and ladles in one, wooden spoons and rubber scraper/spatulas in another. The third one holds things like my potato masher, measuring spoons, pastry blender, garlic press, etc. I’m a Pampered Chef addict too, so I have lots of stuff. I have another drawer with misc. items in it as well!

7. Krista says

Ikea has some cheap, drawer separators that would work for your utensil drawer :) and they look really nice too!

8. Heather says

I use a utensil organizer to hold some of the items that I have multiple of (spatulas, wooden spoons, etc) and then some small baskets from the dollar store to put in some of my miscellaneous items. Some of the bigger and awkward items that don’t fit get put on the side of the drawer outside of the baskets.

9. Esther says

My husband was a chef for 15 years, so we have lots of untensils! We use a planter (kind of like a tera-cotta pot) that matches our kitchen motif to hold our untensils on the counter. It holds A LOT more than the typical “cans” found in the stores, and is a lot cheaper as well! Hope this helps!

I am always amazed at how much more large utensils you can easily store in a container standing up on your counter! AND they are easier to use while cooking too. Good Luck!