This week’s gluten-free menu

Breakfasts

Cereal
Oatmeal
Scrambled eggs, fruit
Skinny Monkey Cookies, fruit, hard-boiled eggs
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Waffles, scrambled eggs, fruit
Hard-boiled eggs, fruit, blueberry muffins
Baked Oatmeal

Lunches

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, salad
Pumpkin Apple Pie Muffins, hard-boiled eggs, veggies
Chips, refried beans, veggies, fruit
Homemade Carrot Chips, Rice & beans
Salmon, veggies, fruit, corn chips
Leftovers x 2

Dinners

Frito Chili Pie, veggies
Marinated chicken, steamed veggies, fruit salad, rice
Goulash, tossed salad
Leftovers
Hamburgers, corn on the cob, steamed veggies, fruit
Dinner with extended family
Dinner out

Freezer Cooking/Make Ahead Projects

Marinated chicken
Baked Oatmeal
Grain-Free Coffee Cake (Does anyone know if there’s another flour I could sub for the arrowroot or almond flour?)
Carrot Chips
Sweet Potatoes
Chocolate Coconut Cups

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. Stephanie H. says

I have heard a lot of people use Spelt flour for baked goods. I have not tried it yet. Arrowhead Mills makes it, although it is pricey at about $4.99 at our local Sprouts. Good luck!

You can use pretty much any gluten free flour, thought it will change the texture a bit. (or a lot!) Any starch will work, like potato or tapioca. If you do something like brown rice, I’d mix it with sorghum or one of the starchy flours.

3. katie says

Potato starch is a good alternative to arrowroot. You could also use sweet rice flour (which is really a starch, not to be confused with brown or white rice flour) – often labeled as glutinous rice flour in Asian markets (no gluten in it either; it’s derived from sticky rice which is very high in starch). I’m surprised to see that the alternative on the actual recipe is almond flour, which is denser than the arrowroot. If it turns out you need a better alternative that is not as starchy as the almond flour, then you may want to try sorghum. HTH!

Hi Katie and those wondering about the arrowroot and almond flour–
      I have tried the recipe both ways and liked the results both times…so that is why I have the option. I didn’t set try them next to each other so it could be that the textures were different. Almond flour, arrowroot and coconut flour are the main flours I use since I cook grain-free. I’m glad so many of you have alternative ideas for those who don’t want to use almond flour or arrowroot! Thanks!

Different flours that would work instead of arrowroot/etc

tapioca flour
    Potato Starch flour

You could use brown rice flour but… rice flour absorbs a LOT of moisture. Makes things more crumbly/dry.

I also made baked oatmeal this morning for breakfast. It was soooo good! It had chocolate chips, coconut, and raisins. Surprisingly, no one objected to the raisins. I figured there would be some fits. A lot of our other meals planned for this week are from my Pinterest boards. Finally need to do something with all of the yummy looking things I’ve been pinning away.

Our menu is here: http://www.simplifylivelove.com/2012/03/weekly-menu-freezer-cooking-plan.html

6. Amy says

Oh, I am so making those coconut chocolate cups!

Did you make the skinny monkey cookies last week? How were they? I want to make those and the carrot chips if they were good. I am trying Kale Chips this week, carrot chips sound similar.

7. Julie says

I haven’t read all the comments so I don’t know if someone suggested this or not. I know Laura, at Heavenly Homemakers, did gluten-free for a while and used Coconut Flour. She has a lovely muffin recipe using it and has raved about them. I know you have used her recipes before. Maybe you could ask her if she thinks it would work. Hope that helps! Love your blog and have for about 4 years now!

8. robyn says

i use tapioca interchangeably for arrowroot all the time and haven’t had any problems, plus is way cheaper and easier to find in my neck of the woods. i get sick with arrowroot powder but not with tapioca, i know others are just opposite. good luck!

9. Sarah Z. says

Have you made the chocolate coconut cups yet? We made them last week and they are really delicious. Next time, I will make them in a regular muffin tin because the mini ones nearly overflowed!!!

Here is our food allergy menu for this week. I have also included a review of a fanastic gluten-free recipe and then include my own dairy-free adaptation. It is Cinnamon Buttermilk Quick Bread – super easy, and delicious! My husband thinks it’s better than the regular version and my kids gobbled it up. The best part for me: I had all the ingredients on hand and I didn’t have to concoct any weird flour mixtures or egg replacement.

11. Jennifer C. says

You could use potato starch or tapioca starch for the arrowroot. But I’m surprised that the recipe calls for arrowroot OR almond flour. The consistency of both is WAY different. Almond flour is much grittier and heavier and arrowroot is very light and powdery. I’m wondering which flour she used. You could try coconut flour for all of the flour. The consistency I would say is between almond and arrowroot. Please take some pictures and let us know how it goes. I think I may try that recipe myself!

12. Christine says

Since you have a Vita-Mix, you can make any type of flour you want. That is, if you have the dry container. (Millet, oats). I think you are not supposed to make flours with the regular container. I would imagine you could even make oat flour with a regular blender.

• Christine says

Oops, I forgot you probably want a gluten-free flour. I don’t know if the ones I mentioned are gluten-free.

• Sarah S says

Oops, meant to write about arrowroot…which is a light flour. :) I use potato starch in replace of it and get great results.

13. Sarah says

I made a coffeecake once using oat flour. I made my own by grinding oats in the blender. It tasted great.

14. Renee K says

I made the skinny monkey cookies and, no lie, 4 different people at church spit them out. I could survive on them, but no one liked them. Kinda disappointed- I had hoped they would be good.

15. Peggy Walsh says

A few years ago I had a terrible flare-up of my ulcerative colitis and knew I was a day away from prednisone, which I hate! I remembered reading about a diet which helped people with u/c – the Specified Carbohydrate Diet (SCD). As soon as I started it, I felt better in 3 days. Basically you had to cut out wheat, sugar and dairy from your diet. Being a carb junkie, I immediately turned to almond flour, but it was very expensive. I finally found a place in California that shipped big bulks of almond flour for so much cheaper! I had a hard time dragging the 25 lbs. of flour into my house, but it was worth it, and lasted me for a really long time. So if you wanted some alternatives to almond and arrowroot flour and the reason was monetary, this is an option.

16. Lisa says

I’m really curious if anyone else tried the skinny monkey cookies… perhaps with a bit of stevia or something? Also, has anyone tried the pumpkin apple pie muffins? Both of these recipes look interesting to me… just wondering if they’re worth making!!!