Easy Peasy Chocolate Torte

I was supposed to take a dessert to our monthly couple’s get-together tonight and I had a boxed cake mix in the pantry and a bag of chocolate chips in the freezer, so I remembered this dessert I used to make years ago and decided it would be perfect.

It’s not healthful, but it sure is delicious. :) Best of all, it can be whipped up in mere minutes!

Comments

• Christie says

Put the chocolate syrup on the cake in straight lines, about an inch apart. Then, take a knife and run through those lines perpendicular. I usually go forward and then backward about an inch apart.

• Toni says

I’d love to see this demonstrated on a video. Not quite understanding exactly how you do it. It’s beautiful.

1. Jody says

Looks good! Is the chocolate syrup what makes it different than just a cake with whipped cream on top? What does your monthly couples get together look like? Sounds like a great idea!

Looks delicious!! Oh course this was posted hours AFTER I made the cupcakes for my son’s birthday party tomorrow!!! :)

3. Leighann says

Oh now that looks yummy! Not exactly waistline-friendly, but hey…life’s too short to not eat the chocolate ;) ;) ;)

4. Heather D says

My mom used to make a version of this for my birthday every year. Only instead of using chocolate syrup, she used Jello. You mix up the Jello according to the directions, and then pour it over the top, making sure to get plenty in the holes. Then refrigerate. Once it’s chilled, top with whipped cream. Yum! It’s still one of my favorite birthday treats! :)

• Emily says

We make Jello cake for almost all of our birthday cakes too! So delicious… my favorite is LIME! :)

5. Whitney says

Try this with just-made boxed chocolate pudding instead of the chocolate syrup!!

• Melissa says

Thanks for idea about the pudding. I made it today..and all 4 kids and my husband loved it! :)

6. Kate says

Holy. Cow. This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to try it…maybe tomorrow!!

7. Heidi says

This looks wonderful!!! Thanks for the recipe! Think I will make this weekend for my husband’s bday… He is a major chocaholic!!!!

8. Jennifer says

This looks so delicious and super easy… how much powdered sugar do you use? Can’t wait to make this!

9. Holly says

That looks yummy! Does anyone have a recipe for dairy free whipped topping? Cool Whip use to be dairy free but recently changed and now includes dairy products. My son is bummed!

• Heather says

Crystal had a post on here for this. You take one can of full fat coconut milk and open the top. Leave it in the fridge overnight. Spoon out the cream – add powered sugar & Vanilla extract and beat until fluffy. Yum. I have had the best success with Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk. Other brands did not separate too well. You can do a lot with this base – add unsweetened cocoa powder and sugar to make it chocolate – add chopped up strawberries and sugar to make it pink and strawberry delicious. I usually use 1/4 teaspooon SweetLeaf Stevia Liquid to make it naturally sugar free (the Vanilla Creme SweetLeaf Stevia is the bomb on the vanilla and strawberry versions)

10. jeane says

I don’t think it says how much powdered sugar to use – does anyone know – this look yummy!

Just mix in the whipping cream to taste–I usually use around 1/2 cup(?) or so when making whipping. I just dump some in, taste, and add more, if needed. :)

• crystal b. says

I’ve made many variations of these type cakes, and always use plain cool whip, so I think the added powdered sugar is totally optional anyway.

11. Amber says

We make a chocolate cake almost the same but use caramel syrup and sprinkle crunched up heath or butterfingers on top. Yummy!

We do the same with the Heath candy toppings (instead of choc. chips) and the carmel (instead of choc. syrup) – not the healthiest thing but it is so good and easy too!

• crystal b. says

I was going to post the same thing. I make the heath bar one as well and it is amazing, and always a huge hit at any event I take it to! Also, I don’t add any powdered sugar to my cool whip, and if you don’t have caramel sauce to pour in the cake, you can sub sweetened condensed milk.

12. dawn says

Another easy peasy dessert recipe. Make a white cake per box instructions. Cool. Poke a zillion holes in cake w/ wooden skewer. Mix together 1 can coconut milk and 1 tub of whipped topping. Frost cake. Top w/ toasted coconut. Yummmmmm