This Week’s Gluten-Free Menu (and anyone have great gluten-free lunch ideas?)

I didn’t completely follow the menu plan last week since we were sick. I just didn’t feel like cooking at all, so we made it through Thursday and then I gave in and Jesse brought home takeout on Thursday and Friday evenings. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and not feel guilty. :)

At any rate, I didn’t do my freezer cooking plan, so I moved some of that to this week.

Does anyone have great gluten-free, dairy-free lunch ideas? I feel like I’m running out of inspiration–we’ve been doing a lot of eggs, veggies, and fruit recently and I feel kind of stuck in a rut.

Breakfasts

Cereal, orange juice
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie (we’ll sub the chocolate milk for homemade chocolate almond milk)
Fresh orange juice, cereal
Coconut Flour Waffles, scrambled eggs, fruit
Oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins
Cereal
Flourless Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, fruit

Lunches

Scrambled eggs, carrot sticks, salad (for me), gluten-free cookies
Hard boiled eggs, sweet potato chips, applesauce
PB&J on rice cakes, carrot sticks, apple slices
Egg & Potato Hash, veggies
PB&J Milkshakes, carrot sticks
Leftovers x 2

Snacks

Fruit/veggies
Flourless Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
German Fudge Bites

Dinners

Meatloaf, potatoes, steamed broccoli, gluten-free bread
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, fruit
Goulash, tossed salad
Crockpot Chicken Tacos (we’re going to serve the chicken over corn chips with taco fixings)
Dinner out
Dinner with extended family x 2

Freezer Cooking

Flourless Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
German Fudge Bites

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. Melanie says

I just wanted to say that I made those German Chocolate Bites yesterday, and now I’m obsessed with them. Everyone needs to try those things. YUMMY!!!!!!!!

2. Ami says

Homemade soup is almost always gf, or at least you can easily make it that way. You can make a big pot and just heat it up at lunch time. It freezes well and is the perfect portion in quart size jars (w/ plenty of head space) for me and my 3 little kids.

We like to grill lots of chicken at once, cut in in cubes, and eat it for lunch either cold or heated. It makes a nice snacky lunch the kids love.

3. Ashley says

Do you use Almond Flour? A *wonderful* quick bread recipe is:
    Melt 1/2 TBSP butter in a small glass bowl, let cool
    Wisk in 1 egg
    Combine:
    1/4 C Almond Flour
    2 TBSP ground flax
    1 tsp baking powder
    Add to egg mixture and microwave for 1 min.

I slice it in half and toast it!

• Elizabeth says

Ashley,

I was curious about your quick bread that I had to run into the kitchen and try it. While I’m used to experimenting in the kitchen, your recipe was by far the strangest thing I’d ever done!

I used almond meal from Trader Joe’s and ground chia seeds, so it kinda smelled like garden fertilizer coming out of the microwave. But, I sliced the round piece (I used a Corell “pasta bowl”) into four pie-shaped pieces and toasted one of them up with butter.

It was very, very good! Much different that I had expected, but very simple and healthy, and will be a lovely replacement for me when the rest of my family is eating gluten-filled banana bread.

Thank you for sharing!!!
      Elizabeth

For Dairy free and Gluten free recipes you might check out any of the primal cookbooks. I have one from the library right now. it has some very good looking recipes. I still have not tried them yet though. Some ideas in the book are frying a scrambled egg to make it into a tortilla to wrap meat and veggies in for a burrito type lunch. Also an idea I use myself is to take tuna and make it like you normally would for a sandwich but then put it into a lettuce leaf and roll it up. It is really good. You could make a stir fry type dish too. We just use what ever veggies we have on hand along with some chicken or beef. If we have leftover meat from a meal I will use that with veggies. We don’t eat gluten free at our house but my whole family eats dairy free except me.

5. Jennifer Morbeto says

My kids love to eat Gluten Free Pigs in a Blanket. I buy the gluten free, organic hot dogs and wrap them in a gluten free biscuit dough. Delicious!

6. Erin says

We do ham fried rice. You just saute up some green onions in olive oil, then scramble an egg in it, then add some cubed ham to the saute. Finally add some pre-cooked rice and some gluten free soy sauce.

I also do tamales. I am lazy so I buy them frozen, but I have lots of friends that make them up from scratch and freeze a big batch of them. I cover mine in enchilada sauce, then top with lettuce and dairy cheese. Rice shreds are the best, in my opinion, when it comes to dairy free cheese.

I also make pizza with Rudi’s gluten free pizza crust and mozzarella rice shreds.

Another idea is to take corn tortillas and put some shredded beef or refried beans then roll up and fry in olive oil. Then sprinkle with kosher salt.

Honestly, mexican and Asian cooking is a great source of gluten free and dairy free food! We do a lot of curry, Phad Thai, or anything else with Asian rice noodles!

7. Erin says

I also do tamales. I am lazy so I buy them frozen, but I have lots of friends that make them up from scratch and freeze a big batch of them. I cover mine in enchilada sauce, then top with lettuce and dairy free cheese. Rice shreds are the best, in my opinion, when it comes to dairy free cheese.

8. Erin says

Oh and tuna or chicken salad is really good too. Its easy to find gluten free and dairy free mayo to toss the tuna or chicken in and then you can add your own seasonings, grape halves or whatever. Then we eat them with gluten free crackers. {which there are are lots of yummy gluten free crackers!}

9. Susan says

Baked potatoes with “fixings”; sweet potatoes alongside leftovers. This gives some of the carbs/calories you’d get from bread. (My son needs the carbs!–superthin.)

Breakfast for lunch.

White corn tortillas as a side to other things–tuna, salmon. Or use for leftover crockpot chicken tacos.

Yogurt with fruit. Beans, rice, quinoa, GF cornbread. Don’t feel that everything has to be perfectly matched/what you’d normally eat together so long as it’s a balanced meal–protein/fat, some carbs, fruit/vegs.

Smoothies with GF grilled cheese!

You can start with fruits and vegs and add a protein/carb–a wedge of cheese comes to mind, toasted GF hamburger bun, whatever’s in the fridge.

My son doesn’t eat salad, but the rest of us do. We all like different toppings, so rather than try to make one big salad, we set up a salad bar several days in a row. Can top with eggs (for those who need calories/fat), avocado, chopped/shredded carrots, chopped nuts, apple or pear, cheeses, tomato, cucumbers, chopped broccoli. Whatever’s in season! This is our favorite spring and summer meal–it often follows a trip to the big farmer’s market.

Can do breakfast for lunch sometimes.

10. Jennifer L says

No meal plan here –a couple of things we have tried this week 1) toasted kale. Just tear it up into bite-sized pieces and toss with a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt. Toast in oven for 10 min. at 350. Also, toasted chickpeas –same concept except heat oven to 400 and toast for 25 min. That said, Crystal –I admire you for doing what is best for your family in going gluten-free. My son has Aspergers and I have been wanting to try this for a while but just lacked COURAGE. You have inspired me and I now know it CAN be done rather painlessly! I am very grateful that you post your meal plans! They are kid-friendly and healthy and I do try a lot of your ideas!

A few lunch ideas:
    a “snack” plate – kids especially love this – think hummus, gluten free crackers, cheese, veggies; my current favorite is an avocado / guac type dip (I add lots of veggies), then eat it with gluten free crackers and some fresh fruit

12. Angie Lovero says

Hi there,
    I just want to say I have been very blessed by your website and appreciate what you’re doing!
    As the only GF person in my household – I just often do without, because I can. But if one of my children was GF & dairy free, I’d be trying out new things a lot more!
    A couple of ideas:
    Make a big batch of chicken nuggets – baked or fried – with any type of GF flour mixture. You could freeze them, then pull them out for a quick warm up for lunch
    I check Amazon all the time for GF flour deals and will order a large batch of rice flour to bake bread with. I don’t have a bread maker – it’s super easy if you use a mix.
    Corn Tortillas – as burritos, with hummus, as quesadillas
    Did you post about the Black Bean brownies recently? I can’t remember – but search Allrecipes for “black bean brownies”. They’re delicious – I actually make them with only one whole egg, the rest egg whites and I substitute the oil with apple sauce to make them more low fat.
    I make meatballs all the time – with no bread crumbs – just balls of meat! Great left over.
    Also – meatloaf – use a dried piece of rice bread as the bread crumbs. If you make it from scratch, it dries out pretty quickly.
    Good luck in your efforts to eat GF & DF. I hope it helps your little one.

13. Megan says

How about Stuffed Baked Potatoes? They’re quick enough to cook at 10 minutes in the microwave, or if you happen to think of it ahead of time, to bake in the oven for an hour while you finish up school. We like to load ours up with toppings– some of our favorites include cooked butter (of course!), broccoli, sour cream/yogurt, chili, lettuce, tomato, sauteed onions/mushrooms and cheese.

Another spin we LOVE is to do Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. The cooking time/method is the same as the baked potateos. While this usually isn’t a complete lunch in itself, it is great if you have fruit or applesauce or veggie sticks and such to make a meal out of it! We like to put butter, marshmallows, cinnamon and sucanat on our sweet potatoes!

14. Janna says

Buy 100% corn tortillas and you can make soft tacos, quesadillas ..etc…. Just be sure they are 100% corn…many that say corn often have flour as a binder.
    The Udi’s and Rudi’s gf breads are quite good…especially the Rudi’s. Sometimes there are coupons out there and I always check the clearance bread rack at my store…this week they had the Udi’s pizza crest and some Udi’s cookies on clearance.

Quinoa & black bean salads/casseroles (depending on if you serve hot or cold) and coconut flour bread are a couple of our favorites. Gotta have a lot of eggs for that bread tho! They often call for milk but we just use water or coconut milk or juice/water blend.

My daughter does wraps with lettuce leaves instead of tortillas. We get cases of GF english muffins from Azure when they’re on sale to make mini pizzas or sandwiches.

Dairy-free pesto can be made using sesame seed in place of parmesan cheese.

16. Robin says

Use corn chips (Fritos) and beans with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, salsa, carrots (any veggies you like) to make what we call “haystacks” :) Kind of like taco salad! If you just love ranch dressing or sour cream, you can google dairy free or vegan recipes for those, too!

17. Leslie says

I get a lot of my GF cooking inspiration from the Gluten Hates Me blog. The blogger, Marlow, has really changed my outlook since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease 2 years ago. Most of her recipes are fairly simple and delicious. I highly recommend it!

Personally, I eat mostly dinner leftovers for lunch. I don’t know if your kids would go for that, but if so it might mean cooking more for dinner.

My oldest son who is gf packs a lunch when he goes off to college or work and I use this recipe to make hamburger buns that he uses for sandwiches. The recipe is gluten and dairy free.

He also eats a lot of chicken salad with chips or gf crackers. I make it using chicken that I cook, gf rotisserie chicken, or precooked turkey breast, depending on how much time I have.

Finally, don’t forget about soup!

19. Tracy says

As said before here, corn tortillas are great gf lunch idea. You can use refried beans and cheese ( a little salsa too, if you like more flavor ) quesadillas, we’ve done it with PB&J, or some type of meat mixture. I also like Taco in a Pan. It uses g.beef, cooked rice, salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, tomato, etc… . Brown the g.beef, add taco seasoning, then cooked rice with a little water ( you can also do it with minute rice and more water ) and salsa, after it’s all warm and tender, sprinkle on the cheese and let melt, then just throw on lettuce and anything else you might like!
    Lunches can be tough I know. As a mom it’s a little easier for me to do without, especially since I can get bread at my local day-old bread store for $0.40 a loaf to feed my 5 children! But I do try to make all of our dinners gf, and often our other meals to, since my dr. told me that 50% of my kiddos will end up gluten intolerant as well, so far we only know of myself that is that way. I’ll pray for you as you continue on this journey. I know it can be a lot to change! Especially when you’ve been used to making so many yummy whole wheat things! How I miss them!

20. Tammy E says

Tammy’s Sausage Stew

Brown 1lb each fresh and smoked sausage in Olive oil.
    Add onion, celery, sliced potatoes, baby carrots cut in half, garlic and
    onion powder, parsley flakes, water to about 3/4 the pan, salt,
    pepper, and 1 can of cream of mushroom or chicken or celery soupor golden mushroom.(I do not add the milk to the soup)
    (no additional water is usually needed, but may add)
    cook until potaoes stick done.

May add 1 can of cream corn if desired

21. Tammy E says

I hope the 2 recipes help.

Tammy’s Spanish Rice

Brown 2 lbs. ground beef or Turkey with 1 med onion, 1bell pepper,
    and celery chopped. Add 1&1 1/2 C dry rice, 1 large can
    diced or stewed tomatoes and 3-4 C water. 1 pack chilli seasoning
    or chilli powder, salt, pepper onion and garlic powder, about 1/2 C ketchup
    3 Tbl. Salsa, 1 Tbl. Margarine or butter.
    Cover and simmer on medium stirring occasionally. May add small
    amounts of water if needed as it cooks until rice is done

22. Michelle M says

I just downloaded a free amazon book for gluten free breads. Browsed it so far, bu optimistic about recreating some traditional breads. GF/dairy free here as well. Will post any success!

The little corndogs in muffins pans are easy to make gluten free, so is meatloaf. Actually most things are easy once you get used to it! :-) My kids always want the same thing for lunch on our days at home….peanutbutter or sunbutter on gf bread, dried peas, fruit and yogurt. They’re happy and it’s easy enough for me!

24. J. in MI says

I would highly recommend Tinkayada pasta.
    They advertise on their package as gluten free, “not mushy”, “and can withstand quite a bit of over-cooking”. Which I really like, but what I love is that it is freezable. I make regular pasta for my gluten eaters and boil separately a package of Tinkayada for the glutenless—-then take the extras and freeze them in serving size portions. I can make a bag of pasta last for quite a while this way, which makes it worth the price. (Here Walmart sells it for $2.93.)

25. Ash says

Rather than try substituting GF things for our favorite wheat products, we simply switched to eating different cuisine. For example, our 3 year old loves to “eat the rainbow” when we have stir fry. Instead of making GF bread, pancakes, etc, we have smoothies, salads, stir fry, soups, roasted veggie salads, etc.

The biggest hurtle in this plan is redefining 1) food and 2) what is appropriate for each meal. Once we did that there were all kinds of foods to eat.