Portion-Size Freezer-Friendly Baked Oatmeal

sugar-free-baked-oatmeal

The following is a guest post from Brenda of Sugar-Free Mom

January is always that time of year when everyone looks forward to that fresh start and a clean slate. We have hopes, aspirations, and dreams for a better year than the last. The year always begins with some enthusiastic ideas and hopefully some good planning.

Well, how many of you have ever made a goal to eat healthier or lose weight? Have you hit your goal?

This past year I wanted my children to eat less pre-packaged food items, I wanted to finally lose those last few pounds from my pregnancy, I wanted to stick to a food budget, and I wanted to have more freezer meals to make my life easier as a homeschooling momma. The 31 Days to a Better Grocery Budget series helped tremendously, as well as the post on How I plan my freezer Cooking Day?

Whether you are trying to lose weight, eat healthier, or lower your grocery bill, I’ve got a recipe for you to try! It’s economical, versatile, freezable, portion controlled, and downright delicious.

The best part about this recipe is that it is not made in a big casserole dish! It makes 18 individualized baked oatmeal portion so that I won’t eat more than my one portion. Its also very inexpensive.

A Few More Tips:

• I buy the basic ingredients at Aldi and the rest at Target or Whole Foods.
  • You can find many varieties of chocolate chips without refined sugar at Whole Foods and online.
  • I use grain-sweetened chocolate chips, but carob chips are also delicious as well.
  • Using different fruits does not change the nutrition info all that much.
  • Using chocolate chips does change the nutrition info and you will see that difference noted above.
  • This recipe freezes wonderfully in Ziploc freezer bags.

If you only start with one goal this year, make it freezer cooking and start with this easy dish!

Brenda Bennett, is a homeschooling mom of three and author of Sugar-Free Mom.com. She lost 50 pounds and has kept it off for the last 8 years! At Sugar-Free Mom, you will find great recipes for yourself and your family, as well as health-related issues about exercise and refined sugar-free alternatives.

Comments

1. Ac says

This is pure genius! I made the baked oatmeal last year and really enjoyed it but we got kind of tired of eating it because it made so much. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your weight loss!

2. Tiffany says

These sound great! How do you eat them once defrosted? Like a muffin or do you throw them in the microwave to heat them and serve with milk like oatmeal?

3. Becky says

These look so yummy! I’m just curious what you do with them in the morning. Do you re-heat them in the microwave? For how long? Thanks!

4. Tracy says

This sounds great. It is exactly the kind of recipe that I have been interested in. My family loves baked oatmeal but it would take a while to finish the whole casserole dish. This works perfect! Thanks for sharing!

5. Lucy says

I found your blog maybe 6-8 weeks ago and I’m really, really enjoying it. It has become one of my favorites in my RSS feeder. This look great and I plan to try them out soon!

6. Jennifer C. says

I like that this recipe is also gluten-free (if you use gluten free oats!) Thanks. ps: I’m also wondering on the re-heating thing…do you pop these into a bowl with milk or eat like a muffin. Also, can you make these in the tins without the paper liners…I’m cheap and don’t like to use those if I can help it! :)

I’ve made them without paper liners and they were just fine. Just a bit easier to freeze them with the liner. I always reheat them in the microwave and add some cream, YUM!

7. Carrie says

I had all the ingredients on hand and just made these – with chocolate chips, of course. I also added an extra 1/2 a banana for some reason. I didn’t have any stevia so I used 1/2 cup white sugar & 1/2 cup brown. Instead of 1 T of vanilla I used 2 teaspoons vanilla & 1 teaspoon almond extract. They are DELICIOUS. My husband just asked for seconds. These are definitely muffins though. I guess if you added enough milk you could make it into an oatmeal of sorts, but it is just as good as a muffin. Very moist. I would probably pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds or something after being frozen. Make them! They are great!

These look great! I’ve tried to get my husband to eat baked oatmeal in the past and he didn’t go for it. I’m thinking that passing it off as muffins would work though ;) Thanks for the recipe!

• Christine says

I think she just means the oatmeal that comes in the round cardboard container, as opposed to the instant oatmeal that comes in packets.

• Alisha says

She probably means the Quaker Oats. The ones that come in the canister. This is what came to my mind when I read it. I, however, am not sure what Stevia is??

• amom says

There are different kinds of oats. Well I guess I should say processed differently. The old fashioned are “more intact” I guess you could say so they take longer whereas the quick cooking oats are processed more so they don’t take as long to cook. Quaker sells both, so look at the container, although, I’ve usually used either or and just had to make sure it didn’t overcook. I might not be a good idea though on the first try. :-)
      p.s. I’m not the person that posted this but I figured since there wasn’t an answer, I’d chime in, hope that’s ok. :-)

• Diane says

Old fashioned oats are not as ground up as quick oats. They’re both sold in canisters and can be generic or Quaker or whatever, it doesn’t matter, but the quick oats cook in about 1 minute and the old fashioned take about 3 minutes.

• Cyndi says

If your grocery store has a bulk food section, you can find most types of oats for a LOT less money buying bulk (and quality is excellent – often a name brand like Bob’s Red Mill used in the bulk barrel).

As previously explained above, oats come in a variety of types: quick quicking is the most refined and thus cooks up the fastest, old fashinoned falls in the middle and is less refined, more of the oat hull still on the grain (more fiber and better for you), but takes a little longer to cook and has more texture. Steel cut oats are even less refined. They are suitable for cooking overnight in a crockpot if you wanted to try a real easy was to cook them. I remember seeing a recipe or link here on Chrystal’s website for crockpot oatmeal that is very good. You could do a search on her site if you are interested. You can’t use the more refined oats in the crockpot – they don’t hold up to the long slow cooking very well.

9. Christine says

These look great! What if we don’t have flax seed? Should I just omit it or substitute something else? I have wheat germ. Is that or a good sub or should I just omit it and not worry about it? Thanks!

10. Linda says

If you don’t have Stevia, how do you substitute sugar for it? I know pretty much nothing about cooking with Stevia.

Thanks
    Linda

11. susan says

I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest for baked pumpkin oatmeal:

It’s the easiest recipe in the world (easier than the one you have above with less ingredients) and it freezes great! I cut the 9×13 into 8 portions and wrap individually. She has several other versions (including chocolate). It might be worth checking out.

Thanks also for your site – you are encouraging me to be more purposeful in how I manage my family’s money.

12. Cynthia says

Has anyone tried substituting applesauce for the banana? I’d have a tough time getting my family to eat much of anything with banana baked in. Thanks!

You really cannot taste the banana much at all. In fact if mashed instead of sliced they won’t even notice. I use banana mostly for the natural sweetness of it.

13. Stephanie says

Wanted to thank you so much for your blog! I am a newbie and I am learning so much and loving it! I was wondering too if you could substitute anything else for the banana. We have a latex allergy in our household and bananas have their own natural form of latex.

14. Gina says

just tried this recipe and we absolutely LOVED it . It will be a great snack for the girls!!!

15. Sofia says

Thanks for this easy recipe. Can I substitute anything else for applesauce? Is applesauce used as sweetener?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I just made them this morning, delicious! We didn’t have applesauce so I substituted 1/2 cup of olive oil and 1/2 cup of vegetable oil. I was worried about the olive oil changing the taste, but next time I’d probably just do a full cup. I might also try pumpkin, that sounds amazing! These are going to be a wonderful thing to have on hand, thank you so much!

• Becky says

Since it’s for moistness, you maybe could use yogurt instead. Or pureed sweet potatoes. Or pumpkin. Those last two would add a bit of a different flavor and color, though.

16. Jan J. says

Thanks so much for this! It looks fantastic. I am going to maybe try pumpkin in place of the applesauce after trying it as is first. I appreciate budget and healthy recipes that can be frozen. Great grab-and-go breakfast!

17. Casey says

What an awesome idea! I love baked oatmeal and usually cut the recipe in half making only an 8×8 pan, but even still that takes a few mornings to go through. I was actually wondering recently about using muffin tins, but hadn’t tried it. Glad to hear it’s possible and that they freeze well. I will probably play around with the ingrediants (this is my odd idea of fun!) But what a great base to start with. Thanks so much for posting!

I made it this way out of convenience myself. I really didn’t like having a 9 by 13 casserole dish in my fridge and freezer taking up so much space so that’s how it came to be! Thanks!

18. Karen says

I made these tonight and they’re delicious! I didn’t have flax seed, so just left it out. I also used a combination of brown sugar and turbinado sugar instead of sugar subs. I divided the recipe up into 3 so I could have different varieties: chocolate chip walnut, cranberry walnut and raisin walnut. I got 19 out of the batch and they were FULL! Thanks so much for posting this. I feel so much better when I eat oatmeal daily, and having these handy will help. :)

19. Lainey says

I made these for my kids and they loved them! We just eat them warm, like a muffin. SO easy to pop in the microwave for a quick breakfast before a VERY early bus stop time! I put in dark chocolate chips (because dark chocolate is healthier, right?!) and craisins.

I love oatmeal and have been wanting to try baked oatmeal…but the thought of making a huge pan for little old me seemed so wasteful. This method will be perfect! Thank you!

21. Helen says

I’m trying to make these right now and the batter is very runny. Am I missing something? Is it really 5 cups of oatmeal to 2 1/2 cups milk?

• Helen says

Okay, I added more oatmeal to the batter until it was less runny and it came out well. I used chocolate chips this time to entice my daughter to try them but next time, I’m going to do some with fruit.

22. Heather says

Helen – I made these today and also had a very runny batter. But it seemed to bake up okay except that the muffins are stuck like glue to the paper liners. We ate them shortly after they were done and had a tough time scraping the mixture off the liners into our bowl. I was hoping that maybe when they cooled, they would come out the liners easier. Not so- gosh – now it is impossible to get them out. I am hoping that when they are warmed up in the microwave, they can be scraped off again …..

I wonder what I did wrong – I followed this exact recipe with no subs.

I would recommend spraying the liners with non stick cooking spray. Yes they do stick, it is inevitable really. The batter is runny because these are not meant to have the same airy , lightness of muffins and they are supposed to be very moist. I have tried the recipe adding more batter and less milk and we prefer it as the recipe is listed. They were dry and dense with different amounts then shown here.

• Heather says

After freezing them and popping them in the microwave, we discovered that the wrapper came off much easier. So a win-win. Thanks for sharing and I will be making another batch soon as the boys cleaned these up – they would each eat two out of the microwave with some milk on top!

23. Brittany Kay says

I just put a batch in the oven, and the batter does seem a bit runny. Should the flax seed be measured before or after it is ground?

24. JenGo says

HOLE-LEE-COW!!! These are wonderful. I used dried cherries and dark chocolate chips and some with just fresh blueberries. I must say, the cherry ones are my favorite. I had quick oats on-hand so I used those. The Stevia I had was in powdered form so I used about 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Oh, and I used milled flax seed instead of ground – not sure what the difference is. I didn’t think the batter was too runny but I too had a problem with the liners sticking to the muffins. Next time I am going to add walnuts with the dark chocolate & cherries. Ohhh baby!